Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 09:16 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Why should I worry? I have a good job, a highly sought after skill set, and nothing holding me back from traveling the world and chasing my dreams. Liberals and boomers signed America up for debt servitude. They wanted a booming stock market to make the last loser president look good. Let them toil to pay it off!
I'm getting to the point where I can agree with you. We are retired with no children. We don't have to be concerned with our descendants having to pay off the massive deficit being run up. So what if we keep adding to it? As long as we get more $ in the form of a tax cut and our investments keep growing, I guess I can say the hell with everyone else.

Do I think that it is the right thing? No, but if the party in power wants to proceed along that path, there is nothing I can do except just sit back and go along for the ride. It would be rude for us to not accept what they seem so determined to give to us.

I do find it a bit amusing that those who have been hollering the loudest about how their children/grandchildren will be saddled with the debt now are only concerned about how much of an immediate tax cut they will get. Suddenly the condition of the deficit for their descendants is just not that important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 09:19 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The Fed's job is to maximize employment, stabilize prices (e.g. inflation), and moderate long-term interest rates. Based upon recent history, they are doing just that.

Why should the Fed have raised interest rates long ago? Unemployment was higher 'long ago' and inflation hasn't been a problem for more than a decade.
Because money was never intended to be free. Based upon the markets, everyone should be feeding their cats filet mignon. That is far from the case. The markets are in another huge bubble inflated by the easy money. It's going to pop.

Past Fed chairs have had to say "I was wrong", Yellen should have learned from that.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I'm getting to the point where I can agree with you. We are retired with no children. We don't have to be concerned with our descendants having to pay off the massive deficit being run up. So what if we keep adding to it? As long as we get more $ in the form of a tax cut and our investments keep growing, I guess I can say the hell with everyone else.

Do I think that it is the right thing? No, but if the party in power wants to proceed along that path, there is nothing I can do except just sit back and go along for the ride. It would be rude for us to not accept what they seem so determined to give to us.

I do find it a bit amusing that those who have been hollering the loudest about how their children/grandchildren will be saddled with the debt now are only concerned about how much of an immediate tax cut they will get. Suddenly the condition of the deficit for their descendants is just not that important.
I've condemned the debt we are placing on our children and I do not support the current tax cut bill.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:45 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Makes no difference to me, I retired comfortably at 55 with guaranteed federal pension benefit of $2300 a week plus COLAs for the rest of my life. Plus my wife has a guaranteed pension and collects Social Security too. We have no debt, own 2 homes, with a sizable portfolio that I can give to my kids to give them a step up. Life is good. Why do I care if most people are swallowed up in debt? That's their business.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:10 PM

33,553 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Because economics 101..... you spend more during a recession. Just because from technical side that a recession ended, doesn't mean employment is up and people have jobs.

The GOP want to ADD debt after the economy has finally recovered.
Welfare rolls were filled with illegals and anchor babies creating a huge deficit doubling over the eight years. . Cheap labor created higher unemployment.

Many illegals sucked billions out of our economy sending our American money out of the country, no longer circulating in our economy creating a long recession. This went on for decades. It took big money out of our economy.

Obama took away the buying power from many Americans with the health care mandate on many healthy young people. Their buying power went to health care.

The insurance companies and hospitals got a much bigger chunk of money from millions of Americans paychecks. The economy was choked off for years.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because money was never intended to be free. Based upon the markets, everyone should be feeding their cats filet mignon. That is far from the case. The markets are in another huge bubble inflated by the easy money. It's going to pop.

Past Fed chairs have had to say "I was wrong", Yellen should have learned from that.
And the dollar was never meant to be worth less than, well, a dollar and yet it is...

Old 12-02-2017, 07:39 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
So, why do you support a president who wants to add 1.5 trillion to the debt.
Are you seriously worried about 1.5 trillion? Where was that concern when Obama added nearly 10 trillion to the debt?

Old 12-02-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Are you seriously worried about 1.5 trillion? Where was that concern when Obama added nearly 10 trillion to the debt?
I'm concerned and I also condemned Obama.

You?

Old 12-02-2017, 07:42 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
Government is dependent upon the bankers. The American citizens over the decades have given this authority to the government unchecked. The companies bailed out became "too big to fail" because of a lack of competition in the market place.

The government debt is due to DECADES of negligence by BOTH ADMINISTRATIONS and IGNORANCE OF THE MASSES.

Yes of course a 20 Trillion Dollar deficit based on a consumer/serviced-based economy with a currency being printed into oblivion with artificially low interest rates should concern the majority of Americans.

All it takes is a recurrent 2008 episode and ALL OF YOUR HARD WORK AND TRUST IN THE FINANCIAL SECTOR COULD EVAPORATE WITH A CLICK OF A BUTTON.

One person I know lost 140 thousand of retirement in one day.

The problem still is the MASSES are vastly IGNORANT to what is really going on. Maybe if they utilized the resources available they could EDUCATE THEMSELVES before it's too late.

I'm losing confidence though that is going to happen.

Eventually the party will be over and things will come crashing back to reality. If we don't correct it, they will correct themselves in time.

It is inevitable, but go enjoy your $5 specialty coffees while the party lasts. It might be too late right now. Everyone is dependent upon the government.

What's worse is the majority seem to be willing to vote away their rights and grow dependent upon the government.
They are fooled into a false sense of security. the same thing happened before 2007-08 housing crisis, lots of people tried to warn, but no one listened, Im sure the same thing is going on right now, according to all the media outlets and our leaders, everything is rosy and great, keep borrowing, keep spending, keep going to work each day!

Old 12-02-2017, 11:48 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And the dollar was never meant to be worth less than, well, a dollar and yet it is...
Has there ever been a monetary system where the unit of exchange yields the same value? I don't think so. The dollar is still worth what a dollar can currently buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies