Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 06:28 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
NFL offers $100 million plan for social justice organizations in partnership with players

A couple things that stand out for me:

two of the players are trying to funnel money directly into their own organization to get their people paid. So the players that seem to actually care about the issues have walked away from the Players Coalition.

this sounds very vague. Sounds like the money would just be squandered and thinned out by logistics and the owners/NFL would get a tax writeoff and not lose anything.

Good for the ones that walked away from this pay-off and seeing things for what they are.
Good grief a bribe. Low.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:29 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Some of those players wanted "Kaep getting a job"'

Pro Football is NOT the little league where many libs want EVERY child to get a trophy.

kap was BENCHED because he did NOT perform.

He didn't start his shenanigans till AFTER he was demoted to the bench.
And, when he started kneeling he didn't advertise it. He did it quietly it's these fake patriots that blew it up. Again, everybody could have ignored it. He was clearly doing it for his own personal reason. And like the snowflakes that many americans are they took as some direct threat to their lives. He kneeled for multiple games before any one even noticed.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:29 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Yes he was benched before he started protesting but then regained his starting job. But that is irrelevant. He is not out of the league for Football reasons.

And I need no lecture about sports. Been in the business for 40 plus years. As far as participation trophies, do not agree but to big a deal being made about them. What matters is today's youth are more competitive and skilled in sports then ever before. Also irrelevant to the topic on hand. What is relevant is, Pro Sports is not like a normal business where employers can easily replace employees at the same caliber. There has to be mutual cohesion between the owners and players.
"And I need no lecture about sports."

If you think I was "lecturing you about sports", the is NO reason to try have an honest discussion with you.

I also disagree with your acertion about "where employers can easily replace employees at the same caliber."

MANY excellent athletes shined when they replaced the 1st sting player and went on to have BETTER careers then the person they replaced.

The talent is so that good.

Tom Brady comes to mind. an 8th round draft pick, goes to show all these "experts are NOT infallible, replaced a HUGE star and took over the job permanently.

Aaron Rogers, is another example A 2nd stringer who when he got his chance he showed just how good he saws and WOULD have been a starter on most of the other teams.

Just so YOU know, I KNOW people who were pro football players and know MANY of their stories.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 12-01-2017 at 05:40 AM..

Old 12-01-2017, 11:09 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"And I need no lecture about sports."

If you think I was "lecturing you about sports", the is NO reason to try have an honest discussion with you.

I also disagree with your acertion about "where employers can easily replace employees at the same caliber."

MANY excellent athletes shined when they replaced the 1st sting player and went on to have BETTER careers then the person they replaced.

The talent is so that good.

Tom Brady comes to mind. an 8th round draft pick, goes to show all these "experts are NOT infallible, replaced a HUGE star and took over the job permanently.

Aaron Rogers, is another example A 2nd stringer who when he got his chance he showed just how good he saws and WOULD have been a starter on most of the other teams.

Just so YOU know, I KNOW people who were pro football players and know MANY of their stories.
My counter argument is going to be, the same as what the owners feel but will not admit. The topic of racial injustice is a very sensitive issue with most blacks, including those that play sports. Blacks make up close to 70 percent of the NFL. Last thing the owners want is getting them disgruntled if they start disciplining guys for protesting. Sure a dozen suspended players around the league could be replaced but not dozens if they get disgruntled enough to not care enough to give everything they got, or even strike for that matter. There is no telling what would happen, but the owners fear the worst that could happen. The other thing I want to point out, the only reason protesting has not filtered down to collegiate ball is because in most cases the anthem is played before the players take the field.

The NFL also has another long term future worry going forward. That being more and more High Schools are cutting Football programs due to concussions and other injuries. Less people are going to be playing the sport, especially among white youth. Blacks are drawn to Football because of the full scholarship money that can only be had in Football or Basketball. Football is only going to continue to get less white and more black. The owners for the most part know when disputes like protesting comes about they have to give the players something to appease, and not "shut up, stand and play or else".

Also since you mention Brady and Rodgers; you do realize they both made statements that Kaepernick should still be in the league as did many other players? Doubt there are more then a few in the entire league that feel other-wise or that would not welcome him as a team-mate Many believe if Kap was added to a roster before the start of the current season the protesting would of pretty much ended. That is the one mistake the owners made.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:08 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
My counter argument is going to be, the same as what the owners feel but will not admit. The topic of racial injustice is a very sensitive issue with most blacks, including those that play sports. Blacks make up close to 70 percent of the NFL. Last thing the owners want is getting them disgruntled if they start disciplining guys for protesting. Sure a dozen suspended players around the league could be replaced but not dozens if they get disgruntled enough to not care enough to give everything they got, or even strike for that matter. There is no telling what would happen, but the owners fear the worst that could happen. The other thing I want to point out, the only reason protesting has not filtered down to collegiate ball is because in most cases the anthem is played before the players take the field.

The NFL also has another long term future worry going forward. That being more and more High Schools are cutting Football programs due to concussions and other injuries. Less people are going to be playing the sport, especially among white youth. Blacks are drawn to Football because of the full scholarship money that can only be had in Football or Basketball. Football is only going to continue to get less white and more black. The owners for the most part know when disputes like protesting comes about they have to give the players something to appease, and not "shut up, stand and play or else".

Also since you mention Brady and Rodgers; you do realize they both made statements that Kaepernick should still be in the league as did many other players? Doubt there are more then a few in the entire league that feel other-wise or that would not welcome him as a team-mate Many believe if Kap was added to a roster before the start of the current season the protesting would of pretty much ended. That is the one mistake the owners made.
Good prediction, about the NFL becoming more black. Pretty smart guy. I am being serious fyi.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:40 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Malcolm Jenkins said he'll stop protest after NFL pledge, what about others?

Jenkins said, after the NFL made its financial pledge to national and local community efforts, and social justice reform initiatives through 2023, that he would not raise his fist during the anthem anymore. Jenkins was part of a coalition of players working with the NFL.

In an explosive interview with Slate, Reid said he believes Jenkins is the only protesting player who supports the financial deal with the league, and other protesting players weren’t involved in all of the negotiations with the league. Reid also said Jenkins told him “that he left the conversation [with a league official] with a strong feeling that once they made a monetary contribution, that they would expect us to stop protesting,” according to Slate.

I wonder if the NFL will follow through if all are not on board?

This is now an issue of payment and compliance - not social justice (whatever that is).

Old 12-01-2017, 01:22 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
They should just fire them. As each week shows further decline in sales, this could happen. When you hurt a business financially, they don't care what your cause is, they'll get rid of you.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:47 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Of course you didn't post the fact that those numbers were for a period BEFORE they started losing millions of viewers & supporters due to attacking America and Americans.
Nobody is “attacking America and Americans” by kneeling. People are freaking insane.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:51 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The athletes must be admired or there is no business. People aren't going to pay money to ignore football players they don't respect.
Excuse me? They’vebeen Ignoring domestic violence, drug offenses and other crimes for decades but kneeling is beyond forgiveness? Insanity.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:51 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Kind of like welfare. They should like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies