Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will your taxes go up or down if the GOP tax bill passes in its current form?
My taxes will go up. 38 47.50%
My taxes will go down. 28 35.00%
My taxes will remain about the same. 8 10.00%
I have no idea if my taxes will go up or down. 6 7.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 08:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times

Advertisements

My taxes will go down for a few years, then they will go up sharply. This bill is bad for people like me (i.e. high-earning).

The only people who are getting long-lasting, durable tax cuts will be the wealthy (i.e. high-net worth).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 08:28 AM

1,640 posts, read 793,905 times
I don’t understand how people are figuring this out. Will someone link a calculator? And how is a standard deduction of 12k or even 24k better than state income tax, real estate tax, mortgage interest, child care, FSA, etc deductions?

Old 12-04-2017, 08:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
I don’t understand how people are figuring this out.
By reading for the past few weeks.

You have to get past the crap that's on the surface -- % brackets and such -- and look at the fine print.

The personal cuts, meagre as they are, are only temporary. The cuts to business taxes are the major ones.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:44 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
By
The personal cuts, meagre as they are, are only temporary. The cuts to business taxes are the major ones.
And that is where they need to be to make us competitive again. This will grow the economy, create jobs, and put UPWARD pressure or wages. Wages have been stagnant for decades, and many are also under employed. It can also increase total tax revenue if the economy grows enough. We need to stop the trend of a hollow, U.S. economy.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
That's great, mine are only going down by $8300....I'll take it.
Temporarily. They'll be back up before too long.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:52 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
It’s probably because you were cheating the FEDERAL government $2k each year for years... it’s funny these liberals love the state rights when it comes to their money....

Are you serious with this post? Accusing a poster of cheating on their taxes because they paid less prior to this tax bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I thought you lefties just loved taxes? Or was it just taxes shoveled your way? How does that shoe feel on the other foot now.
What I DON'T love is the President LYING about his tax bill. Of course, he probably has NO IDEA what's in it since it is the direct opposite of what he campaigned on.

To get out there and say how there is NOTHING in it that helps him and it's all about the workers is such complete and utter bullshyte.

Remember how he railed against the wall street executives and their rigged system? Looks like they will be keeping more of their money.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:01 AM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
As a 'behavior modifier,' tax cuts don't appear to do as well as some think.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/evide...132230398.html

Quote:
But perhaps the clearest explanation of what the tax code can and cannot do for the economy came from NYU finance professor Aswath Damodaran, who told Yahoo Finance in January 2017 that the, “The tax code is a bludgeon. When you change the tax code trying to make companies do the right thing, you almost always have a law of unintended consequences.”

Damodaran added that, “tax codes have never been effective behavior modifiers.” The promise of investment against the reality of investment in a lower-tax environment has so far borne that out.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:21 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,656,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
And that is where they need to be to make us competitive again. This will grow the economy, create jobs, and put UPWARD pressure or wages. Wages have been stagnant for decades, and many are also under employed. It can also increase total tax revenue if the economy grows enough. We need to stop the trend of a hollow, U.S. economy.
Just for ****s and giggles, maybe you can explain how this will grow jobs when unemployment is already at 4.1%. The Dept. of Labor has always considered 4% to be full employment.
Did we just give corporations and very rich people a tax cut and add 1.4T to the deficit for 1/10th of 1% additional employment?

Old 12-04-2017, 09:58 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,447,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
AND increasing the deficit substantially in the process and cutting programs.

More people will be spending more and our deficit is going up.

During a booming economy we are worred about stimulating growth.
Their rationale would be ridiculous even if it were sincere. The economy has been doing well.

But it is not sincere and the explanation for this change is not the real reason, it is an excuse. The donors to the party have been waiting for this payoff for a long time, and they know if they don't get it now they may never get another shot at it in their remaining lifetimes. So the push is on: "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!".

They need to grab these fat stewing hens now while they can. The henhouse lock has been busted loose and it will only be that way for a short while ...

Old 12-04-2017, 10:06 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,656,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Their rationale would be ridiculous even if it were sincere. The economy has been doing well.

But it is not sincere and the explanation for this change is not the real reason, it is an excuse. The donors to the party have been waiting for this payoff for a long time, and they know if they don't get it now they may never get another shot at it in their remaining lifetimes. So the push is on: "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!".

They need to grab these fat stewing hens now while they can. The henhouse lock has been busted loose and it will only be that way for a short while ...
Yep. The 1% get fat stewing hens while the rest of us get pigeon. They'll call them "Barn Chickens" and claim that they put a chicken in every pot, come election time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies