Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 06:42 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hard to say.

There are AT LEAST 3 distinct work environments which would include:
1) Public company (also based on size)
2) Private Company
3) Govt. Job (fed, state, local etc)

I can clearly tell you that I have LONG been overly cautious when it comes to stuff like this. I had an intern half my age (or more) a while ago and noooo way I'd invite her out to lunch solo. That's no reflection on her nor me, just being careful not to possibly cause any issue. (We've had people fired for stuff with subordinates in recent years...including women bosses for those that don't think that can happen.)

The level of *fairness* you might get can be stymied in any of those scenarios if people are protecting offenders. It's easier to do so in some than others, just so much variation.

For example, private company depending who it is you're probably going to have to resort to a lawsuit if they won't act.
Just remember that if you are a male supervisor and you invite a male subordinate to a solo lunch you are discriminating against the female subordinates and if you invite a female subordinate to a solo lunch you are a pervert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 06:43 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The only thing that is obvious at my job are the women who use their sex appeal and sex acts to climb the ladder.
How is it possible to be on the wrong side of every issue? Or this one shouldn’t even have an idea logical slant, yet here you are, on the wrong side.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:47 AM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times
If you show the dog you are not afraid of them, the dog will leave you alone. They smell fear.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:48 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,643,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
How is it possible to be on the wrong side of every issue? Or this one shouldn’t even have an idea logical slant, yet here you are, on the wrong side.
How weird.

Two people that work at the same place have different opinion's.

That rarely happens.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hard to say.

There are AT LEAST 3 distinct work environments which would include:
1) Public company (also based on size)
2) Private Company
3) Govt. Job (fed, state, local etc)

I can clearly tell you that I have LONG been overly cautious when it comes to stuff like this. I had an intern half my age (or more) a while ago and noooo way I'd invite her out to lunch solo. That's no reflection on her nor me, just being careful not to possibly cause any issue. (We've had people fired for stuff with subordinates in recent years...including women bosses for those that don't think that can happen.)

The level of *fairness* you might get can be stymied in any of those scenarios if people are protecting offenders. It's easier to do so in some than others, just so much variation.

For example, private company depending who it is you're probably going to have to resort to a lawsuit if they won't act.
I agree with another poster in that female employees may see you taking males out to lunch as discriminatory but with interns really, there's not a reason to take them so I get your caution in that regard.

As a supervisor, I'll also note that I also have taken out employees for lunch and usually I do it as a group a couple times a year for everyone in my department and during the year, I take everyone out individually usually as a part of or in anticipation of their employee evaluation. I like to get them out of the office and speak about things they may be shy about talking to the group about and to see if they have any ideas about our work that may be beneficial.

I also agree that women supervisors are funny in thinking they are immune to charges of sexual harassment. Though we had more males than females, women were at least 30% of the issues in sexual harassment at my previous job. They were the majority for workplace bullying/general harassment complaints.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:02 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Quote:
at least he is consistent

Old 12-04-2017, 07:04 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Are you seeing a shift in your workplaces, schools, volunteer organizations, or elsewhere?
No. The takeover of my industry by south Asian males continues apace.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:08 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
The only thing that is obvious at my job are the women who use their sex appeal and sex acts to climb the ladder.
Especially in marketing. Sex sells.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:20 AM

19,608 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
The guys in power should stop going for that. It could come back to bite them.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:01 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,441,195 times
Quote:
So you are all for women using their sexuality and sex to climb the financial ladder? That's also harassment in many cases. Women DO harass men in upper positions too. Constantly flirting with them trying to sell themselves to them not taking no for an answer. It happens extremely frequently. The only thing that will make people take this entire issue seriously is if everyone who uses sexuality and sex (which is power) for personal gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies