Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 02:11 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times

Advertisements

I have a 401(k) that is 60% stock funds and 40% bonds/cash. Has it done very well in the past year? Yes. Would I give away all of those gains to have a sane person in the White House? Again, yes. So what was your point again?

Old 12-03-2017, 02:12 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
The Fed sometimes gets things right. Like back in the early '80s. They pushed up interest rates to curb inflation. It caused a recession but once that ran its' course the economy experienced a long period of economic growth fueled by falling interest rates. The Fed was baked by the Reagan administration in but it was still the Fed's doing. With QE the fed was trying to stimulate the economy by pushing interest rates down. And it worked. The complaints about a weak recovery seem like carping to me. I remember how bad the economy was at the beginning of the "Great Recession". It was in virtual free-fall.
Well you said it.... the Fed was trying to stimulate the economy by propping it up with low interest rates. Unfortunately low income and many in the middle class didn't benefit from that, big business and the rich did. The fed uses monetary policy to manipulate the economy instead of growth.

After its lending rates couldn't go any lower, the Fed went on a huge program of bond buying and exotic maneuvers to stimulating bank lending and corporate spending. Japan had tried something like that and it didn't work.

Again, Obama was the first president since the great depression that didn't get above a 3% GDP. But this is what you are excusing and defending.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I do. Economic growth had obviously continued. The inconsistency is mainly on side of conservatives like then one in this thread who say it was all bad during Obama years and now Trump is suddenly the stock market genius.
No one is saying Trump is a stock market genius, in fact because the market can go up or down for many reasons it's dangerous to make such claims. What is being said is that Liberals and Democrats want to get Trump, in turn create uncertainty which would cause the market to go down.

Democrats want to get Trump regardless of how it hurts the American people who are being responsible by investing for their retirement years.

Last edited by petch751; 12-03-2017 at 02:39 PM..

Old 12-03-2017, 02:16 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I have a 401(k) that is 60% stock funds and 40% bonds/cash. Has it done very well in the past year? Yes. Would I give away all of those gains to have a sane person in the White House? Again, yes. So what was your point again?
It's not just about you, and your selfish wants. It is about a lot of people that rely on these investments. So, what policies has Trump enacted that are so insane? If he was insane, or his policies were insane, the markets would reflect that UNCERTAINTY, and RISK.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I do. Economic growth had obviously continued. The inconsistency is mainly on side of conservatives like then one in this thread who say it was all bad during Obama years and now Trump is suddenly the stock market genius.
Who said the market was all bad during the Obama years? It was simply pointed out WHY the stock market increased and it wasn't because of economic growth. Obama was the first president since the great depression not to have a GDP above 3.

Honestly, where do you come up with this stuff? Do you have so little understanding, also refusing to understand or hell bent on defending Obama regardless of facts. Maybe you should try to learn instead.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Then your a fool

Even Soros, a progressive who wants Trump out and thinks the left will succeed, is betting against the market to "make money". If progressives (and Democrats) get their way, Soros will make money while you and I will give back gains and maybe a lot more.

Last edited by petch751; 12-03-2017 at 02:40 PM..

Old 12-03-2017, 02:37 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Sorry, but it doesn't work that way for two reasons:

- The markets don't specifically love Trump or any political party. They mostly just hate uncertainty.

- Trump has failed to implement much of any of his stupid and worthless ideas. In short, he's done basically nothing for close to a year now.

What this really means is that the only reason the markets continue to do well under Trump is because they are reasonably confident that his utter incompetence and inability to unite his own fragmented and generally worthless party will continue, thus reducing uncertainty and allowing the markets to simply continue chugging along.

So, if you're asking me to give Trump "credit" for being utterly incompetent, failing to achieve any of his up-front "first 100 days" promises, and for generally doing such a poor job that the markets have dismissed him as a "lame duck" president, I guess I could do that... though somehow I don't think that was what you looking for here.
I see that you are incapable of reasoned consistency and rational thought.

You are great at being a mindless cheerleader. I guess that's something...

Old 12-03-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Mark Cuban told CNN. “I can say with 100% certainty that there is a really good chance we could see a huge, huge correction if Trump is elected, that uncertainty is the last thing Wall Street wants to hear.” Initially it nosedived because of the fear mongering but before morning the market went back up.

Sandy, did you listen to Mark Cuban and lose money?

Old 12-03-2017, 05:48 PM

wow, the liberals ran away from this one lol

Old 12-03-2017, 05:54 PM

1,400 posts, read 863,454 times
There needs to be severe consequences for reporting fake news, retractions and apologies are not enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies