Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 09:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I found a pair of Carolina steel toes for $175. Decent boot made in USA. Not all of their products are though.
Nope, actually not even close. They are allowed to qualify it which is something they should not be allowed to do.

Quote:
https://www.carolinashoe.com/1922

Made in USA from Fine Components Sourced Worldwide
If you go to Red wings main site they categorize them into 3 categories you can filter.

• Made in USA
  • Made in USA with Imported Materials
  • Assembled in the USA with Imported Components
That Carolina boot would fall into the last category. Frankly they should not be able to quailfy it....

Made in USA -With no qualifications all the materials and production must occur in the US with negligible foreign content. E.g. if just the glue was imported something like that wouldn't count.

Made in USA with Imported Materials - This is where they importing some or all of the materials used but none of it is assembled.

Assembled in the USA with Imported Components - This is where they importing assembled components.

If you want just look at just Made in the USA products go to their Heritage site:

Handcrafted Leather Boots & Footwear | Red Wing Heritage

Note that other than the "Made in the USA" label there is no standard. Different companies will use different phrases, the only way to know exactly what you are getting is look for "Made in the USA" with no qualifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 09:23 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Why not a $300+ pair of Red Wings Made in the USA? Note that "USA Made" and "Made in the USA" are not the same thing.

I'd rather pay another $100-150 for a hand made , with the leather I choose , custom boot. I get mine from White's Boots, and they claim they are "Made in the USA" and for the most part I believe it, except for the heel, I have some with Vibram and some with Quabug which I think are English companies. So other than that all the materials are sourced here in the States.

Last edited by scarabchuck; 12-04-2017 at 09:49 AM..

Old 12-04-2017, 09:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
What? The type who tells the truth?
what truth?

it's a tabloid that provides no links for sources, and an OP that goes on an anti-diversity rant.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'd rather pay another $100-150 for a hand made , with the leather I choose , custom boot.
Nice..... I spent the good part of day looking for leather jacket that wasn't going to cost me an arm and leg. Finally found one here:

American made Jean Leather Jacket, crafted from 1.0-1.2 mm (2½-3 oz) Top Grain Cowhide.

They are custom fit and the pictures do not do it justice. It's the only one they have that is not all out motorcycle jacket.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:32 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Looks like you are rolling the dice where they are made. Note that terms like "Handcrafted in the USA", "USA made" and other similar terms are not the same as "Made in the USA". To apply the "Made in the USA" label both the materials and the production has to occur in the US.

https://sasshoes.com/handcrafted

Also not made in the USA and for the price of those you can get "Made in the USA" Red wings.

Well,chit.

Looks like I have been wrong about the Allen Edmonds for sure. If I find out Hart Shaffner and Marx is made in China I'm gonna cry.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:47 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Nope, actually not even close. They are allowed to qualify it which is something they should not be allowed to do.

If you go to Red wings main site they categorize them into 3 categories you can filter.

• Made in USA
  • Made in USA with Imported Materials
  • Assembled in the USA with Imported Components
That Carolina boot would fall into the last category. Frankly they should not be able to quailfy it....

Made in USA -With no qualifications all the materials and production must occur in the US with negligible foreign content. E.g. if just the glue was imported something like that wouldn't count.

Made in USA with Imported Materials - This is where they importing some or all of the materials used but none of it is assembled.

Assembled in the USA with Imported Components - This is where they importing assembled components.

If you want just look at just Made in the USA products go to their Heritage site:

Handcrafted Leather Boots & Footwear | Red Wing Heritage

Note that other than the "Made in the USA" label there is no standard. Different companies will use different phrases, the only way to know exactly what you are getting is look for "Made in the USA" with no qualifications.
That’s true of almost nothing then if you’re drilling down to where the raw materials come from. Certainly no American car would qualify for example. Then you also have to consider not all USA made products are actually the best anyway. Japan makes better auto parts. Germany makes better guns and arguably cars. They probably don’t source all of their materials from inside their own countries either.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:02 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Nice..... I spent the good part of day looking for leather jacket that wasn't going to cost me an arm and leg. Finally found one here:

American made Jean Leather Jacket, crafted from 1.0-1.2 mm (2½-3 oz) Top Grain Cowhide.

They are custom fit and the pictures do not do it justice. It's the only one they have that is not all out motorcycle jacket.
Nice price on that.
I love this jacket , and story, from Tailor Stitch but it was out of my price range and doesn't come in the extra huge (and not in a good way) size I would need.
https://www.taylorstitch.com/blogs/a...he-old-the-new

Old 12-04-2017, 10:05 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
the trouble with engaging in a War of the Future is that the Future will know what our tactics will be even before we think of them...better that we continue our ongoing War on the Past.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:25 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
what truth?

it's a tabloid that provides no links for sources, and an OP that goes on an anti-diversity rant.
Let’s not pretend “diversity” is some end in itself worth achieving just as company “growth” isn’t. We’re building a country not making a Waldorf salad.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:39 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Let’s not pretend “diversity” is some end in itself worth achieving just as company “growth” isn’t. We’re building a country not making a Waldorf salad.
Neither one of those topics seems relevant.

In fact nothing you've said, and nothing the OP has said, seems to have any value thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies