Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 01:43 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I am black and I agree.

However, if ever there was a reparations program, IMO I would want it to focus on healthcare and education whereas blacks who could trace their American lineage per information shared below would get Medicaid to be inclusive of mental health services, dental, and vision healthcare along with a free undergraduate education at public colleges/universities (or a scholarship of like financial amount to private institutions) since blacks have been hurt the most by health and education oppression (along with economic lynching, but that could be taken care of with education and healthcare IMO and self reliance/responsibility).

ETA: The OP has made other comments/threads about reparations. I think he/she is just one of those people who will never get over the fact that their ancestors were enslaved. I think it is an odd mindset myself and my ancestors were also enslaved. I however, know like you know and most black people know that reparations willl never happen so don't harp on it or get angry about things that are in the past. We learn from the past and should be grateful IMO for our ancestor's struggles and successes for our behalf. We are the "hope and the dream of the slave" so said Maya Angelou and my grandmother who was always saying this whenever any of us complained about anything - don't complain - you are the answered prayer of the slaves - the hope and the dream of the slave. Quit complaining and do what you need to do - so said grandma.
Wouldn't refusing the reparations be the moral thing to do if it came to that?

I refused to take any government aid for college because I'm a part black minority. The State doesn't even know I'm a minority...officially. I've never checked any of their boxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 01:45 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Who is going to pay? Me? aka the taxpayer?

No, I don't think so.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Who is going to pay? Me? aka the taxpayer?

No, I don't think so.
They'll cage you otherwise lily.

Social justice must be upheld over the individual.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:52 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
I don't even think the japanese or the Germans should get any reparations. Get over it already.

No one deserves an apology either. I didn't bomb nobody. I didn't rape nobody. So get over it.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:51 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Wouldn't refusing the reparations be the moral thing to do if it came to that?

I refused to take any government aid for college because I'm a part black minority. The State doesn't even know I'm a minority...officially. I've never checked any of their boxes.
Not if it were a program for healthcare and education, the moral thing to do would be to take it IMO.

And I highly doubt you didn't get any government aid for college. FYI - the government doesn't give aid to black students because they are black so it doesn't matter if you checked a box or not lol. I got scholarships because I went to an HBCU from the UNCF and the CBC scholarship fund (both are privately funded), amongst others, but there are no grants specifically for black people to go to college like so many of you seem to believe there are. I'm sure you got your Pell Grant and your student loans just like the rest of Americans did.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 12-05-2017 at 03:03 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Let's say you actually are a descendant (How ever that can be measured and proven). Do you think your life would be better or worse, parallel to where you'd be today on another Continent?
It is easy to prove descendancy from a black slave. Our ancestors have been here for hundreds of years and there's a such thing as vital records and court documents that listed black people as taxable goods or property (with their children) in wills and probate documents.

I have a cousin who is 102 years old. She lived with her grandfather when she was a girl who was born a slave in SC. I have birth and death certificates of his children and grandchildren, including my great grandfather (which list who their parents were and where they were born in regards to DCs). I have records for nearly every line of my family that descends from slaves so that is very easy to prove.

And being on another continent for me is not relevant. Black Americans are Americans moreso than all you whites whose ancestors came here after ours and who succeeded because ours were disenfranchised and institutionally oppressed and economically lynched for your ancestor's benefit.

ETA: My husband's great grandparents were slaves. His grandfather was born in 1878 and his great grandmother in 1849. His great grandmother is listed as a "freedman" in the Freedman's Bureau labor records from the State of Texas. She is listed with her mother and siblings. She has a record of marriage to his great grandfather from 1877 and his parents are listed on his death certificate from 1954. Again, not hard to prove descendancy from a slave since most black Americans have very recent ancestors who were enslaved. 150 years is really not that long ago when you measure it in someone's lifetime of 60-100 years. You get to the slaves within 1-3 generations back and most are documented relationships with vital records. Hell in the State of Virginia a lot of slaves births were registered in their counties of residence in the early 1800s through the 1860s so you can go very far back in slavery in some areas.

I know who the slave owners of many of my ancestors were and I communicate with their descendants who have been helpful in genealogical research I conduct on those lines. One line of my family were slaves of the Hairston family of VA who were the largest slave owning family in America at one point in time. They kept excellent records, including genealogical records of their slaves (parents/birthdates, etc.).

Last edited by residinghere2007; 12-05-2017 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Not if it were a program for healthcare and education, the moral thing to do would be to take it IMO.

And I highly doubt you didn't get any government aid for college. FYI - the government doesn't give aid to black students. I got scholarships because I went to an HBCU from the UNCF and the CBC scholarship fund (both are privately funded), amongst others, but there are no grants specifically for black people to go to college like so many of you seem to believe there are. I'm sure you got your Pell Grant and your student loans just like the rest of Americans did.
Loans aren't aid. They are repaid and at a higher rate than could be negotiated if there wasn't a monopoly on them. I didn't qualify for any pell grants because I didn't go to college immediately after high school and was already in my career (higher income at that point...which was any money considering the poverty I came from).

We went over the aid before because we're both from Ohio.

The Young Scholars program specifically targeted inner-city minority trash like you and I. They wanted me in but I didn't play along. I wasn't go to dance and sing for them.

By taking reparations you're not only condoning the armed robbery of the State on taxpayers but you're also dancing and singing for your master...the government.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:13 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I've done a couple of topics concerning reparations. Even though I've been asked who would qualify for reparations today, I haven't done a topic dedicated to that inquiry. So here are the qualifications for those who would receive reparations for slavery and Jim Crow.

(Important to note: Don't take one qualification and base your comments around it. One must pass all qualifications in order to receive and take part in reparations. Also, this is my take on what the qualifications would be)

Qualification 1:

You must be a descendant of the US American slaves. So anyone who comes from Haiti, Jamaica, and all other black or African immigrants would not meet this standard.

Qualification 2:

You must have one parent who identifies as black, and they are a descendant of the American slaves.

Qualification 3:

If you are bi-racial (white/black, asian/black, latino/black etc.), you have to have been self identified as black since the age of 21. For example if you filled out any application, you had to have checked the black/African American box alone since you've been 21. If you're younger than 21, you qualify for reparations.

So those are my qualifications. Tell me your thoughts, and remember, one must meet all three qualifications. Some might consider qualification 3 to be confusing. In other words someone like Tiger Woods and Meghan Markle who identifies as mixed race, wouldn't qualify. Also, Obama wouldn't qualify based on qualification 1, so don't make any dumb comments with his name.

I qualify. Where's my 40 acres and mule?

Old 12-05-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Loans aren't aid. They are repaid and at a higher rate than could be negotiated if there wasn't a monopoly on them. I didn't qualify for any pell grants because I didn't go to college immediately after high school and was already in my career (higher income at that point...which was any money considering the poverty I came from).

We went over the aid before because we're both from Ohio.

The Young Scholars program specifically targeted inner-city minority trash like you and I. They wanted me in but I didn't play along. I wasn't go to dance and sing for them.

By taking reparations you're not only condoning the armed robbery of the State on taxpayers but you're also dancing and singing for your master...the government.
Young Scholars and other programs accept poor whites as well in Ohio. It is for first generation college students.

I went to school outside of the state of Ohio and I didn't get any financial aid for being black. There are no federal aid programs specific to black people. I did qualify for Pell Grants though cause my mom was poor when I went to college. I also got UNCF scholarships, which were based on going to an HBCU so whites and Latinos and Asians can also get UNCF scholarships if they attend those schools and apply for scholarships (you have to apply for each individual UNCF scholarship and have the grades and recommendations and write essays/etc, whatever they require to get one, not everyone just gets one because they attend the school either). I also got a merit scholarship for my GPA, most HBCUs will give kids a full ride if they have over a 3.75 GPA no matter your family income situation.

And loans are aid. That's why they are included in your "Financial Aid Package."

Old 12-05-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Young Scholars and other programs accept poor whites as well in Ohio. It is for first generation college students.

I went to school outside of the state of Ohio and I didn't get any financial aid for being black. There are no federal aid programs specific to black people. I did qualify for Pell Grants though cause my mom was poor when I went to college. I also got UNCF scholarships, which were based on going to an HBCU so whites and Latinos and Asians can also get UNCF scholarships if they attend those schools and apply for scholarships (you have to apply for each individual UNCF scholarship and have the grades and recommendations and write essays/etc, whatever they require to get one, not everyone just gets one because they attend the school either). I also got a merit scholarship for my GPA, most HBCUs will give kids a full ride if they have over a 3.75 GPA no matter your family income situation.

And loans are aid. That's why they are included in your "Financial Aid Package."
True on the bold regarding the Young Scholars. But you have to live in the inner-city and be poor. Poor rural whites are discriminated against.

I guess the only question left is who is more of a N word to the U.S. government: a black man or a poor white man?

Ah, the mysteries of our lives.

And I disagree on loans but don't have the energy to fight you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies