Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2017, 07:43 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
True on the bold regarding the Young Scholars. But you have to live in the inner-city and be poor. Poor rural whites are discriminated against.

I guess the only question left is who is more of a N word to the U.S. government: a black man or a poor white man?

Ah, the mysteries of our lives.

And I disagree on loans but don't have the energy to fight you.
There are a lot of poor whites, hispanics, and Asians in all of Ohio's major cities. I know white people who have benefited from the Young Scholars program in particular who are from Toledo and Cincinnati.

And there is no need for you to "fight" about the fact that student loans are financial aid, since they are listed as "federal student aid." They aid students going to college and if you didn't have them you wouldn't have been able to attend, same as not getting grants or scholarships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 07:50 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I've done a couple of topics concerning reparations. Even though I've been asked who would qualify for reparations today, I haven't done a topic dedicated to that inquiry. So here are the qualifications for those who would receive reparations for slavery and Jim Crow.

(Important to note: Don't take one qualification and base your comments around it. One must pass all qualifications in order to receive and take part in reparations. Also, this is my take on what the qualifications would be)

Qualification 1:

You must be a descendant of the US American slaves. So anyone who comes from Haiti, Jamaica, and all other black or African immigrants would not meet this standard.

Qualification 2:

You must have one parent who identifies as black, and they are a descendant of the American slaves.

Qualification 3:

If you are bi-racial (white/black, asian/black, latino/black etc.), you have to have been self identified as black since the age of 21. For example if you filled out any application, you had to have checked the black/African American box alone since you've been 21. If you're younger than 21, you qualify for reparations.
First, the majority of reparations should be in education and infrastructure and stuff like that where you are not handing out cash.

Secondly, it must be limited generationally....so there is no impetus for a family to have more kids for more reparations. But the educational and infrastructure and medical, etc. parts could continue for 3-4 generations.

I think you are overthinking this. The Slave Trade was conducted by the Spanish, Portugese, Brits and the Americans and often the slaves were dropped in Cuba...to make sugar for US. Same goes with some of those other islands.

How about "they have the records of your ship and you being stolen and chained and sold and brought to the Americas?"......is there any punishment for your Master raping you repeatedly? You are saying those people should get less - in other words, reward rape.

Of course, slavery built the West well before the founding of this country....same goes for corporations which are still in business today. But it would be fairly simple to work out the math in terms of the value of their labor.

What is a little harder is the crimes done to them afterwards....and the punitive damages, etc.

Any way you look at it, it's completely affordable.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:11 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,412 times
Default Reparations? Are you joking?

Quote:
I've done a couple of topics concerning reparations. Even though I've been asked who would qualify for reparations today, I haven't done a topic dedicated to that inquiry. So here are the qualifications for those who would receive reparations for slavery and Jim Crow.

(Important to note: Don't take one qualification and base your comments around it. One must pass all qualifications in order to receive and take part in reparations. Also, this is my take on what the qualifications would be)

Qualification 1:

You must be a descendant of the US American slaves. So anyone who comes from Haiti, Jamaica, and all other black or African immigrants would not meet this standard.

Qualification 2:

You must have one parent who identifies as black, and they are a descendant of the American slaves.

Qualification 3:

If you are bi-racial (white/black, asian/black, latino/black etc.), you have to have been self identified as black since the age of 21. For example if you filled out any application, you had to have checked the black/African American box alone since you've been 21. If you're younger than 21, you qualify for reparations.

So those are my qualifications. Tell me your thoughts, and remember, one must meet all three qualifications. Some might consider qualification 3 to be confusing. In other words someone like Tiger Woods and Meghan Markle who identifies as mixed race, wouldn't qualify. Also, Obama wouldn't qualify based on qualification 1, so don't make any dumb comments with his name.
While I sympathize with current and past slaves all over the world, I can not believe the ignorance to seriously consider reparations for slavery in the US.
ALL countries in the world have had slaves at one point or another in the history of that country historical development.
It was a period of Ancient period slavery- just like in Greece, Rome,Egypt,etc
Then it was a period of feudal slavery even in Europe, if I am not mistaken the last country to abolish slavery in Europe was Russia - somewhere in 1860th. So while there were no black slaves in European countries- they had WHITE slaves!!! So should they pay reparations to them?
Affirmative actions is given to minorities to help overcome the circumstances- how is it working out for minorities, you think?
If we are truly agains racism and discrimination of all kinds - we should stop counting races and ethnicities and stop creating separate categories based on national origin, skin color or economic status: only personal merits should be considered. The laughable part that even women considered minorities in spite of being the majority of population!
Stop playing the victim and get on with the times!

Old 12-06-2017, 10:30 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
There are a lot of poor whites, hispanics, and Asians in all of Ohio's major cities. I know white people who have benefited from the Young Scholars program in particular who are from Toledo and Cincinnati.

And there is no need for you to "fight" about the fact that student loans are financial aid, since they are listed as "federal student aid." They aid students going to college and if you didn't have them you wouldn't have been able to attend, same as not getting grants or scholarships.
I wonder if you're this exhausting in real life?

I'm guessing "yes".

Til next time residinghere.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:56 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenese View Post
i've done a couple of topics concerning reparations. Even though i've been asked who would qualify for reparations today, i haven't done a topic dedicated to that inquiry. So here are the qualifications for those who would receive reparations for slavery and jim crow.

(important to note: Don't take one qualification and base your comments around it. One must pass all qualifications in order to receive and take part in reparations. Also, this is my take on what the qualifications would be)

qualification 1:

You must be a descendant of the us american slaves. So anyone who comes from haiti, jamaica, and all other black or african immigrants would not meet this standard.

Qualification 2:

You must have one parent who identifies as black, and they are a descendant of the american slaves.

Qualification 3:

If you are bi-racial (white/black, asian/black, latino/black etc.), you have to have been self identified as black since the age of 21. For example if you filled out any application, you had to have checked the black/african american box alone since you've been 21. If you're younger than 21, you qualify for reparations.

So those are my qualifications. Tell me your thoughts, and remember, one must meet all three qualifications. Some might consider qualification 3 to be confusing. In other words someone like tiger woods and meghan markle who identifies as mixed race, wouldn't qualify. Also, obama wouldn't qualify based on qualification 1, so don't make any dumb comments with his name.
nobody!

Old 12-06-2017, 10:58 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Women should get reparations from men for them keeping them down for thousands of years, kept as property, house maids and breeders. Then when women went to work they were sexually harassed and assaulted. So, reparations for women.
This sounds awfully sexist!

Old 12-06-2017, 11:09 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So my great grandparents immigrated here in the late 1800’s, more than 30 years after the institution of slavery was abolished.

Do I have to pay taxes for this ridiculous idea and why? Because I’m of European heritage?
I lost an uncle fighting for the union trying to free the spaces. Where are my reparations from former slaves?

Old 12-06-2017, 12:09 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It is easy to prove descendancy from a black slave. Our ancestors have been here for hundreds of years and there's a such thing as vital records and court documents that listed black people as taxable goods or property (with their children) in wills and probate documents.

I have a cousin who is 102 years old. She lived with her grandfather when she was a girl who was born a slave in SC. I have birth and death certificates of his children and grandchildren, including my great grandfather (which list who their parents were and where they were born in regards to DCs). I have records for nearly every line of my family that descends from slaves so that is very easy to prove.

And being on another continent for me is not relevant. Black Americans are Americans moreso than all you whites whose ancestors came here after ours and who succeeded because ours were disenfranchised and institutionally oppressed and economically lynched for your ancestor's benefit.

ETA: My husband's great grandparents were slaves. His grandfather was born in 1878 and his great grandmother in 1849. His great grandmother is listed as a "freedman" in the Freedman's Bureau labor records from the State of Texas. She is listed with her mother and siblings. She has a record of marriage to his great grandfather from 1877 and his parents are listed on his death certificate from 1954. Again, not hard to prove descendancy from a slave since most black Americans have very recent ancestors who were enslaved. 150 years is really not that long ago when you measure it in someone's lifetime of 60-100 years. You get to the slaves within 1-3 generations back and most are documented relationships with vital records. Hell in the State of Virginia a lot of slaves births were registered in their counties of residence in the early 1800s through the 1860s so you can go very far back in slavery in some areas.

I know who the slave owners of many of my ancestors were and I communicate with their descendants who have been helpful in genealogical research I conduct on those lines. One line of my family were slaves of the Hairston family of VA who were the largest slave owning family in America at one point in time. They kept excellent records, including genealogical records of their slaves (parents/birthdates, etc.).
I believe you are way over simplifying it. The 1870 Brick Wall - Lowcountry Africana

I also think some are just begging to claim victim status.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:17 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I believe you are way over simplifying it. The 1870 Brick Wall - Lowcountry Africana

I also think some are just begging to claim victim status.
Dude I've been doing black genealogical research for over 20 years.

I know what I'm talking about.

And all black people who are alive today if they are black Americans, they can indeed trace their lines back to 1870. 90% of the blacks on the 1870 census were slaves in 1860. Those who were not, you will find on the 1860 census as free people of color. I have both enslaved and "free" ancestors and on quite a few of my enslaved ancestor's lines I have more genealogical information about them than the "free" lines because the slaves were listed in tax, probate, and court records. Please note that I have ancestry from SC in particular which is featured on your link.

Also, I'm not a victim. My parents and grandparents however were survivors and I am grateful to them and my many deep ancestors for their struggles against white supremacy racism. I consider myself to be amongst the first generation born "free" as a black American in this country (born in the 1970s).

Old 12-06-2017, 12:32 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,034,793 times
Quote:

Listen if that be the case, why does the government continue to print money?
The Treasury prints new currency to replace old, worn out currency that is taken out of circulation on a continual basis. The notes don't last forever, of course, and old notes are replaced by new notes. The metaphor about "cranking up the printing press to increase the money supply" is largely a misconception.

We can cut straight to the heart of the matter. If you wish to tender reparations to a deserving individual, please make your check out to Milton Miteybad. Of course, Milton doesn't exactly fit the hare-brained profile offered in the OP, but I can vouch for the fact that if anybody deserves reparations, it's Milton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies