Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 09:24 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sorry, but the bold is ridiculous. We cannot go "back to Africa" since we have been Americans longer than most whites in this country. We don't owe you anything. This is the greatest country in the world because of our ancestor's work. Whites did not "give" black people their freedom. Black people got our own freedom. Black people were the primary anti-slavery activist, black people fought in the civil war, black people formed and created the underground rail road and black people have been the righteous conscious of this nation since its inception on the fact that we agree that "ALL people" deserve the rights afforded to them by the constitution.

Due to the last note above, you do owe our demographic, but I'm not one to sit back and think that money solves everything or think that I am victimized by anyone. I am humbled and empowered because I know what I stated above. As a black American today, I am grateful for their legacy of activism in particular.

Seems you have a chip on your shoulder in thinking you and/or white people are the saviors of blacks to me.

Again, we are more American than a majority of whites here. We cannot go "back to Africa" since we are not African.

For your reading pleasure:

Why don't the descendants of American slaves return to Africa to live. From the article:

Please note that I have an ancestor who fought in the Revolution (I have his pension record and he was black). How about you?

Maybe you need to pay for yourself to go back to whatever European hell your ancestor escaped by coming to my country.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Sorry Charlie. Italian Americans were lynched in New Orleans, executed for anarchy, and otherwise denied good jobs for a long time in America. Although I won't be holding my breath waiting, I'm on line for my 40 acres and a mule too. PS. the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia is preferable.
Interesting. Were they lynched throughout the South for their appearance? Were their children in separate schools or did they attend school with other whites? Was their culture beaten out of them and their names and languages lost as a result?

Just curious because I see some comparing the experience of one group to African-Americans who came from over 40 groups and had all of their ethnic ties beaten out of them. If one can say they are Italian, that’s already evidence of less trauma because most African-Americans cannot tell you their ethnic origin.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:29 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
.... This is the greatest country in the world because of our ancestor's work. ....Black people got our own freedom
Quote:
Due to the last note above, you do owe our demographic,
You get to live in the greatest country in the world (your words) because of decisions made by our ancestors both Black & White.

And you do them a great injustice, especially those who worked hard (your words), if all you can do in the 21st century is to whine about getting a handout from White people.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:45 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Sorry Charlie. Italian Americans were lynched in New Orleans, executed for anarchy, and otherwise denied good jobs for a long time in America. Although I won't be holding my breath waiting, I'm on line for my 40 acres and a mule too. PS. the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia is preferable.
Italians also came over on their own terms. Italians also are/were the face of organized crime. Italians were also allowed to eventually become "white".

Old 12-07-2017, 10:07 AM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Slavery was an institution, as well as Jim Crow. All sanctioned by the government. So the resources will come from government.
That would include all the people mentioned that think they deserve reparations. they are part of the government would also be required pay up.

The only segregated lunch lines I saw in 1962 were in DC, not NJ.

Reparations have taken place, you missed it.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:23 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Who is they?

And how would one know the answer to that? To me, it’s a silly question. At the end of the day, it was wrong and so much was lost.

I would venture to guess that the "silly" idea of reparations elicited this silly question............

Old 12-07-2017, 11:32 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Interesting. Were they lynched throughout the South for their appearance? Were their children in separate schools or did they attend school with other whites? Was their culture beaten out of them and their names and languages lost as a result?

Just curious because I see some comparing the experience of one group to African-Americans who came from over 40 groups and had all of their ethnic ties beaten out of them. If one can say they are Italian, that’s already evidence of less trauma because most African-Americans cannot tell you their ethnic origin.

So we have one poster beating us to death with the fact Blacks are more American than anything.......and you saying they are just Africans who lost their heritage?

Old 12-07-2017, 12:01 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
No. This was ruled legal by the SCOTUS. In war time, rules change.

As to the original subject. It's just never going to happen. The OP and the rest of the whiners need to give it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Only German and Japanese Americans are entitled to "reparations" for being forced into camps and their homes and businesses ruined by the Federal government by FDR.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I would venture to guess that the "silly" idea of reparations elicited this silly question............
Are you going to answer my question?

Old 12-07-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
So we have one poster beating us to death with the fact Blacks are more American than anything.......and you saying they are just Africans who lost their heritage?
Where do you find that in my post? Are you going to answer the questions regarding Italian-Americans or evade them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies