Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 01:04 PM

588 posts, read 562,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Your ignorance is astounding.
Interesting response in a thread about bullying. You don’t like what someone posted in an online forum and you resort to name calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 01:07 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
My response wasn't bullying at all. Did I call him stupid? No. I called him ignorant for his silly response about turning off the computer as if that would stop the bullying. By all means keep your head in the sand when it comes to this issue. Based on your response to my post I am guessing you blame the victims too.

Also, can you point out where I have called somebody "stupid"? Nope. The only people on here that call posters stupid and other condescending names are the Trump followers. I then call them out on it.
Political...figures you'd go there.

2nd grader with PTSD..... good lawd

Old 12-05-2017, 01:11 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
For all the people responding that the bullied person should do X,Y, or Z, the bullied person is often incapable of doing that. Lots of people are bullied once and fight back and that's it. But some people are simply incapable of fighting back, either physically or emotionally.

If you're interested in this issue and you've never seen the documentary, Bully, I urge you to watch it. The kid who was the main focus of the movie couldn't have thrown a punch if his life depended on it. Or come out with a quick reply or insult. He just didn't have it in him.

What I took away from Bully was that when you have a trifecta of a weak child, an ineffective parent, and crappy school administration, you have a recipe for terrible bullying situation. And I don't mean "weak" to be an insult--just someone who can't fight back.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:12 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
We were merciless to fellow students in the old days, to their faces, yet somehow none of them gave in to suicide. Good god, we had like 3 or 4 hare lips in our school, one was a good friend of mine and we made fun of HIM to his face. I remained friends with him for years after that. Kids could just take it then.
Bullying is much more pervasive nowadays. Back then, kids were bullied, but it generally took place verbally in-person. If the kid moved to a new school (and got whatever physical issue fixed), it could be long forgotten.

Nowadays, bullying takes place digitally, and as we all know, everything online is basically permanent, and given that everything goes viral much more easily, bullying can be far harder to truly escape and forget about forever.

Even if you turn off your computer, just knowing that people are still writing horrible things about you anyway can be a huge psychological burden. Plus, it's 2017. Everyone pretty much needs to use computers these days.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:25 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
I was raised Catholic (and have moved beyond it), but I took the teaching seriously that suicide was a "mortal sin."

It's "wrong" to take your own life - Delores Cannon talks about the spiritual significance of having a contract to come to Earth to do x, y, and z, and if you opt out early, you still have to do x, y, and z, and now you have to somehow "atone" for your wrong thinking/act.

Whenever you hurt yourself or others, it is not a "good" thing, no matter how understandable.

These spiritual points need to be taught to people, apparently.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:35 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Peer pressure is horrific. Some kids think the love from their parents is expected because it is their parents so it isn not valued as its should be but unfortunately it is not But when their peers are ganging up on a child it is so hurtful the cruelty that kids dish out is pileing on and a constant sting. Bully's are dispicable.

In my life if I saw anyone being bullied I stepped up for them. Kids should have someone in their peer group take on the bully. I hate it that much.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:55 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Peer pressure is horrific. Some kids think the love from their parents is expected because it is their parents so it isn not valued as its should be but unfortunately it is not But when their peers are ganging up on a child it is so hurtful the cruelty that kids dish out is pileing on and a constant sting. Bully's are dispicable.

In my life if I saw anyone being bullied I stepped up for them. Kids should have someone in their peer group take on the bully. I hate it that much.
Same here... I pretty much had a friendship circle comprised of people I stood up for against bullies. For some reason, no one ever picked on me - if anything, it got to the point where if bullies were picking on someone, they scurried away like rats when they saw me walking over. LOL.

Even though I've never been bullied, I can definitely empathize with not feeling accepted or cared about - my parents were selfish children who considered me as just an inconvenience to their deadbeat partying lifestyle.

If only kids realized what a valuable and fortunate thing it is to be loved and accepted by their parents. It's certainly not a given in all families like they may think it is.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:08 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Really? You realize that kids have been bullying each other for about the last 50,000 years right?

You want to ruin their parents lives too? Calm down.
Bullying should be dealt with the same way it was decades ago. The bully should be visited by an older brother, cousin or friend to “encourage” the bullies to back off. OR.... the victims father could visit the parents of the bullies to confront them about thier children’s behavior. Old school, a few bruises or even broken teeth but no suicides or even shootings. Today’s zero tolerance on violence policies punish those standing up for themselves too much, forcing the victim to be even more docile. School policies and even laws have done more to empower bullies than anything in history ever has. At least when I was a kid a bully might have to worry about being challenged, today they have the equivalent of a field day to carry on with thier meanness.

Last edited by danielj72; 12-05-2017 at 02:26 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 02:19 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Interesting response in a thread about bullying. You don’t like what someone posted in an online forum and you resort to name calling.
That's not name calling. Timmyy was commenting upon the statement, not the person.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:39 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
While I totally agree with you NY_refugee, Zero Tolerance policies have made it impossible for victims to fight back. They get the same exact treatment as the bullies do.

Now, I know a lot of parents - including myself - who've taught our kids that we don't care if they get suspended for defending themselves. But the fact is, if they get suspended, it goes on their record just like it will for the bully.

Have I mentioned how much I loath ZT policies?
These are issues that become a vicious cycle. While the intent of zero tolerance was supposed to be good on paper in practicality it is a failure of epic proportions. It breeds weakness. Here's how.

It doesn't address and shame a bully. They still have an incentive to bully. You induce some pain to a bully. Wham. They'll never mess with you your friend your sibling etc.
What does the bully get under zero tolerance? My highschool implemented zero tolerance my senior year. You'd get a week home out of school suspension. Created work for the teacher to email or mail home class work due to bush no child left behind act.
That was your first strike. A week vacation from school. Rewarding bad behavior. You really think a kid wants to be in school

Your second strike I should say strike and a half, if you were to re engage the same person you bullied, was "peer mediation" where the principal and school shrink sit down and have a meeting of the minds. I say strike and a half because most bullies didn't focus on one sole student. They tormented 3-5 at a time. Would they rat em out? Not to a teacher. Bullies were networked. They had their friends be the eyes and ears for them. Hey man I saw so and so talking to the dean the principal the hall monitor the teacher. I heard them say you were doing this that the other and planned to do this that the other.
3rd strike face charges filed from behalf of the school they implemented SROS student resource officers. State troopers. My highschool had 2. They had an office. The fuzz would act on behalf of the school, not the victim. Unless the victim and their parents wanted to press charges.

I had charges dropped once. They didn't go strike 1 or 2 with me. The kid I bloodied up went crying to the police when his buddy went upside my head with a softball bat, screaming at the top of his lungs I was going to kill him. That wasn't so. Had his buddy not smoked me across the face with the bat... 2 part problem with the situation.

I'd probably had faced aggravated assault charges.

Afterall that kid I whooped on would have been guilty for conspiracy/accessory to assault with a deadly weapon as he tried to play my game and get his buddy to lay in the back seat of his car with the bat.

Figured they'd get off Scott free as the buddy would have claimed defense on behalf of his friend. Problem was they both confessed to trying to bait me and my parents had family friends who are great lawyers who'd not only get the dude with the bat, but the school as well as the trooper who had detained me and had my vehicle towed off school grounds at his discretion.
2nd problem was, this happened down by the bleachers at the football field where I had witnesses (goth kids) dressed in black not seen in the shadows cast by the bleachers who had the LG phones with video recording and got the dude I wooped on swing at me first and me capitalize on it by letting him hit me. It was when I pinned my knees on his shoulders and started swinging away is when his buddy came out 10 15 feet away from the back door of the kids car with a bat.
It's not a matter of what or how, it's a matter of what you can prove. I was always 3 steps ahead of everyone. Bullies. Teachers. Admins. Cops looking for parties.

Quote:
My daughter has been bullied and now is in counseling for it. She was in 2nd grade when it happened! She has been diagnosed with a form of PTSD along with some other students that were bullied by the same kids. The school itself did nothing about it. She is now in 4th grade at a different school but still struggles with anxiety from the past bullying. It doesn't matter if it was online or in the school yard. It doesn't matter if the victim has mental health issues or not. What matters is that it has to stop.

Some of you have to stop blaming the victims.

There is no excuse for that. I'm not saying your daughter is weak. I'm not saying she is to blame either. That isn't okay. No child should EVER feel that way and if I were you, I'd find where the little prick lives and speak with their parents. Then bring their spoiled brat outside and put them over my knee. They'd be lucky that's all they'd get. As far as the school goes, probably followed that zero tolerance BS or good ol boy club. Bullies parents probably had some sort of connection to the school therefor nothing was pursued just a slap on the wrist.

Quote:
Blaming the parents is definitely not the answer. There are parents out there that are so bad that it does lead a child to think about suicide but that is not the norm. Mental illness needs to stop being a taboo in this country and get recognized as a legitimate disease such as cancer or diabetes.
On the contrary. Parents need to have a backbone, and give their kids a backbone. This good feels social justice approach to bullies happy horse crap needs to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
For all the people responding that the bullied person should do X,Y, or Z, the bullied person is often incapable of doing that. Lots of people are bullied once and fight back and that's it. But some people are simply incapable of fighting back, either physically or emotionally.

If you're interested in this issue and you've never seen the documentary, Bully, I urge you to watch it. The kid who was the main focus of the movie couldn't have thrown a punch if his life depended on it. Or come out with a quick reply or insult. He just didn't have it in him.

What I took away from Bully was that when you have a trifecta of a weak child, an ineffective parent, and crappy school administration, you have a recipe for terrible bullying situation. And I don't mean "weak" to be an insult--just someone who can't fight back.
That's where kids like me came in to turn the school administration on its head. I'm naturally a rebel and absolutely hate authority by supercilious self anointed pricks. My school was full of them. If the school did something I disagreed with. I found a way to get them to their knees. There were many assemblies with the superintendant and adminis dean principal the works there to condemn our form of protest. We didn't picket. We didn't be disruptive in class. We did one better. I found out the school needs an attendance rate to receive funding. Get all the guys and gals who had cars and licenses. We'd go around pick underclassmen up that were waiting for the bus. Cruise out to Albany to the cross gates mall and hang out.
There might be on YouTube still, the local news with police being put into malls to act as "truancy" officers. I played a hand in that. I think... CBS6 it aired on...

Mess with me. Cross me. I dare you. I'll hit ya where it hurts. Right in the pocket. You'll listen to me and do as I say or I'll make your wallet shrink and life hell. And there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. I dont bend at the knee for you especially if I dont like you. Truancy officer is going to arrest me and how many others? And for what? Trespassing? You're going to have the mall trespass 100+ kids? BWAHAHAHA okie dokie...
I brought that school to its knees twice financially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Bullying is much more pervasive nowadays. Back then, kids were bullied, but it generally took place verbally in-person. If the kid moved to a new school (and got whatever physical issue fixed), it could be long forgotten.

Nowadays, bullying takes place digitally, and as we all know, everything online is basically permanent, and given that everything goes viral much more easily, bullying can be far harder to truly escape and forget about forever.

Even if you turn off your computer, just knowing that people are still writing horrible things about you anyway can be a huge psychological burden. Plus, it's 2017. Everyone pretty much needs to use computers these days.
That's when you do as I say. You print every disparaging comment and use their ignorance and hatred against them and post it all over the schools walls lockers etc.

This they said mean things about me online. That is online not at the school. Honestly the school doesn't have a say in what your kid does outside of school.

But you take today where every form of communication shows a name. A face. Like Facebook twitter.

It's like when things get political in here. You see liberals make the claim conservatives are Nazis white supremacists NRA is a terrorist organization so on so forth.

Would I go after them for slander or libel? Nope. Not at all. Nor on the behalf of say a politician or lobbyist. Like the comment made that perhaps Wayne Lapierre should have a member of his family gunned down to get liberal gun control policy enacted.
Nope.

Leave your ignorance on display for the whole world to see. Same way I did it in highschool thing is I grew up some since highschool otherwise I'd find your residence and place those comments on your front lawn for every body to see your true ugliness. And at your place of work too. Anything including words can be weaponized.

Like I said. If we want to be real and genuine about bullies. This is how you address it. Knock their teeth down their throat. Use their disparaging comments slander and libel against them. Who's going to want to affiliate with someone who makes vile comments or call for harm against fellow innocent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I was raised Catholic (and have moved beyond it), but I took the teaching seriously that suicide was a "mortal sin."

It's "wrong" to take your own life - Delores Cannon talks about the spiritual significance of having a contract to come to Earth to do x, y, and z, and if you opt out early, you still have to do x, y, and z, and now you have to somehow "atone" for your wrong thinking/act.

Whenever you hurt yourself or others, it is not a "good" thing, no matter how understandable.

These spiritual points need to be taught to people, apparently.
My parents were Old school Irish Catholic.
Psalm 58 disagrees with hurting others.

The righteous will rejoice when he sees the vengeance; he will bathe his feet in the blood of the wicked.

Or was it.
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow free like a river.

One well place shot to the nose, blood will flow freely like a river. Make your eyes tear up and take you out of a fight quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies