Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:45 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,232 times

Advertisements

It's the media blowing dirt.

They hitch a ride with any major debate to bring in views.
"Global Warming Report on CNN 9 PM" + 500,000 viewers. When really, they just fondle with data and say spring is earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 02:47 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Even a non scientist like me sees that the weather is cyclical. We've had ice ages and thaws...dinosaurs...I'm more worried about deforestation and poisoned water.
Exactly, we should take care of our surroundings but without forcing environmentalism on others. To me, someone giving me a hard time about my carbon footprint is no different than a mormon showing up at my home complete with bicycle.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:48 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedaly View Post
It's so clever to write "the sky is falling" or "it's algore's fault" but in fact, the future of our planet is at stake. Our children's futures are at stake. You'd rather type a cute response. Typical.

How about reading some of the peer-reviewed science about climate change and starting an intelligent discussion about what can be done to reduce the amount of CO2 we're dumping into our atmosphere every year? Take a look at the IPCC summary report for policy makers. There are actions that can be taken, but you first must educate yourselves. We are all going to have to make changes. Are you ready?

I suggest looking at the website realclimate.org
It might be easier to accept if it were not for the previous sky is falling stampede. Remember we were heading into another iceage???? That was in the 1970's and 1980's. Now due to pollution controls on cars we have better emmissions but the same engines that could get 40 mpg on the highway now get 35. So we burn more fuel to go the same distance. I had a 1984 nissan Pulsar NX that got 44 mpg highway. A 1986 honda civic that got 48mpg highway. Now its a big deal if a hybrid gets those numbers.
Then look at the messenger. Al the fat man psycho Gore. He doesn't practice what he preaches. If he believed his own message he would do what he asks the rest f us to do.
My house is green friendly. Geo thermal heat pump, positioned to take advantage of the winter sun. 2x the standard insulation.
We recycle and we garden using organic fertilizers. so please lecture Al Gore. It would seem he is the one who can't seem to grasp the way to a greener living.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:53 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,618 times
Quote:
So many global warming deniers. So many oil profiteers.

Too bad the majority of Americans have no science education, don't bother to read books or newspapers and don't understand the big picture of the coming climate catastrophe. Climate change is very real and is caused by burning fossil fuels, destroying the rainforest and increased cattle production, and nobody knows exactly how it will play out. Early Springs, melting glaciers, disappearing Arctic ice, droughts, heavy rains, extreme heat....just some of the fun climate events coming to a town near you! As the permafrost melts, it's releasing more methane, which will cause even faster heating of the planet....melting ice will create more dark surfaces to absorb the sun's rays. The list goes on and on. But most of you are ignorant to the facts and just repeat the lies you hear on Fox. It's more fun to post your silly comments about Al Gore than to research this civilization-changing issue.

Think of oil companies, some of which make $40 billion in just one year, and coal companies, which blow tops off hundreds of mountains to get at their product, in bed with the top US government officials. Do you think they want millions of people to know the truth about climate change? Do you think they want us to stop using their black gold?

How to do you think U.S. government climate policy gets written? By former Exxon and Peabody lobbyists (who are lawyers, not climate scientists) with a heavy hand editing the final text by young republicans.

Read about the CO2 levels in our atmosphere and the climate scientists' concern that we are reaching a level never before seen (and records go back hundreds of thousand of years). Keep on driving your gas sucking vehicles and burning coal and destroying our environment. Your grandkids will have to live with it.

Your entire argument is based on the unproven idea that global warming is a product of humanity and not part of the natural cycle of warming/ice ages.

I am also upset that most people don't bother to read and educate themselves, but I'm afraid those are the ones most susceptible to media propaganda. Besides, you dont have to be a scientist to have an interest in it. My education is all business-related but that doesn't stop me from reading up on the issue in my own time.
Scientists have not agreed on this issue yet so please save the "I'm better than you" attitude until you have some proof.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:02 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post

Your entire argument is based on the unproven idea that global warming is a product of humanity and not part of the natural cycle of warming/ice ages.

I am also upset that most people don't bother to read and educate themselves, but I'm afraid those are the ones most susceptible to media propaganda. Besides, you dont have to be a scientist to have an interest in it. My education is all business-related but that doesn't stop me from reading up on the issue in my own time.
Scientists have not agreed on this issue yet so please save the "I'm better than you" attitude until you have some proof.
But but but what about the polar bears???????

Old 03-22-2008, 03:08 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,232 times
Quote:
But but but what about the polar bears???????
I think they would make marvelous jackets.

I mean. Oh. Them! Mass-breed them. 8D Booyah.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:20 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
Quote:
Insults such as 'eco-freaks' don't add to this discussion.

You care about the environment but don't like the people who are fighting to keep it healthy? Doesn't make sense.

Were the people who fought to expose Love Canal 'eco-freaks' or just ordinary people who wanted to clean their environment? Was Rachel Carson an 'eco-freak'? What about the activists who successfully stopped the dumping of PCBs in New Bedford Harbor in Massachusetts? Were they eco-freaks?

Bunk science? Thousands of climate scientists wrote the IPCC Summary Report. After you read it, please let us know where they are wrong.
Eco-freaks I am referring to are those who take bunk science and swear upon it that it is true even if they don't even understand the bunk science behind it... Environmentalists are those who actually have a grasp of scientific understanding and can present it in a meaningful way... I respect environmentalists, I have no respect for eco-freaks. Lying to me when their answer is obviously wrong and saying, "Oh, its too complex for you to understand" when it is also "too complex" for them to understand as well (unfortunately their "assumed" truths are false). Stop dumping PCBs is a GOOD thing, etc. etc. I can accept those as valid and PROVEN arguments... thousands of climate scientists ensure their own jobs with the myths of bunk science... I have seen their arguments and it is physically impossible to defy the laws of physics to make their answers become true.. Is their global warming.. yes, I don't deny that... is it from the magically molecule of CO2? Hell no... should we protect the environment? Without any doubts. Is CO2 harmful to the environment? Not that I can see and bunk science doesn't count... I don't believe anything until someone shows me honest to god, REAL logic and science behind instead of magic hokus pokus that only fools the layperson who doesn't understand science.. fooling a person with no scientific understanding is easy and unfortunately they compose the bulk of the world's population... fooling educated people is another thing... first it was "greenhouse" blankets of heat trapping molecules and now its "vibrating" molecules of CO2 that causes heat, blah blah blah... bunk science...

Last edited by evilnewbie; 03-22-2008 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies