Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2017, 07:30 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The King David Hotel was a military target. And there were telephone warnings to the British by the Irgun as to what was going to happen. The British response was "we don't take orders from Jews.
The Arabs should have a good reputation as skilled tunnel diggers. Their tunnels are great at moving traffic around. I wonder if they take E-zpass?

The Jews, on the other hand, with about 0.2 percent of the world's population have managed to invent smallpox, bubonic plague and lung cancer. </sarcasm>.
Depends upon whose history of the event you read. Warnings were given. Many warnings about bombs were received. It was assumed that this was just another false alarm. At any rate Israel absolutely used tactics that we consider terrorism. It was considered terrorism back then as well. The majority of victims were civilians. The point is Israel might complain about terrorism, but they certainly have blood on their hands from using those same tactics.
I am not anti-Israeli. I am anti-fiction that paints Israel as our bestus buddy, and we need them, and we need to support them with billions of dollars and biased support in the UN.
I respect the capability of the Israeli Military. Loved visiting there years ago.Like the Kibbutz farms. They all have a story. One has a burned out Arab tank that was stopped with Molotov cocktails.
Like the people, I just don't trust their lying, spying, sell out government that sells our secrets that they steal to China and Russia.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:01 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
i dont see what the big deal is, it effects nobody but where we locate our embassy. and who cares where that is

Old 12-18-2017, 08:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Every other country in the world takes a position, usually against Israel in one way or another. Can't Israel have allies too?
Yep. Nothing says we have to be in accord on every issue. We’ve disagreed with England or France before....and we’re still friends.

Israel will be fine.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i dont see what the big deal is, it effects nobody but where we locate our embassy. and who cares where that is
The Israelis.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Prove me wrong.

It’s not the United State’s job to say what is or isn’t up for grabs in Israel/Palestine. That’s on the other side of the world. We don’t enhance our national interests whatsoever by taking a side in that argument.

“The Arabs have to know there’s no reward for intransigence?”

Well, it’s nothing to us whether they know or not. Again for the millionth time, we’re Americans...we aren’t in the business of punishing or rewarding anyone on the issue of irredentism. That’s for Jews and Arabs to work out among themselves. We should ignore the Jerusalem issue since staying where we are doesn’t change our relationship with Israel OR the Arabs. That’s the perfect place to be, and it’s of no benefit to change it.
Google is your friend, or remain ignorant...

Old 12-18-2017, 08:06 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Depends upon whose history of the event you read. Warnings were given. Many warnings about bombs were received. It was assumed that this was just another false alarm. At any rate Israel absolutely used tactics that we consider terrorism. It was considered terrorism back then as well. The majority of victims were civilians. The point is Israel might complain about terrorism, but they certainly have blood on their hands from using those same tactics.
The hotel wasn't really a hotel as 2/3 of was used by the British military. It was being used as the central offices of the British Mandatory authorities of Palestine, principally the Secretariat of the Government of Palestine and the Headquarters of the British Armed Forces in Palestine and Jordan. The Jews knew early on that the British were siding with the Arabs. The British were flowing weapons to Arabs and at the same time set up a embargo to the Jews. The attack was a response to Black Saturday and the Jews wanted to make sure that any intel on them were not being passed to the Arabs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Agatha

If this is your definition of Terrorism, then Americans were Terrorists during the War of Independence.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 12-18-2017 at 08:21 PM..

Old 12-18-2017, 08:08 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
To be fair the media does portray Israel as a friendly nation fighting for it's very survival, from unprovoked attacks. We are bombarded with ideas that Israel is our friend. We must support them. From hard right we get, the Israelis are gods chosen people, we must support them.
The reality is somewhat different. Modern terror tactics started with such acts as the bombing of the King David Hotel. Yes the Early Israelis certainly used terrorism to make a point. Our media and history tends to omit such facts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_David_Hotel_bombing

Israel

https://www.military.com/defensetech...ology-to-china

Israel may be an ally but they are absolutely not our friend.
On the other hand You have arabs producing such organizations such as ISIS, Hezzballics and many more. When is the last time christians used suicide bombers on planes? Cut off the hands of thieves? Stoned a woman for the crime of being raped? How many christians believe that women need circumcision ? I mean seriously the list goes on.
All nations spy on each other. You think the US doesn't spy on its allies? Get real. Friendly nations also have misunderstandings, disagreements and frictions... That is natural as each country pursues, first and foremost, its own national self-interest.

Israel is a friend of the US and a trusted ally. That's a fact. It is also a democracy that respects the rule of law and shares America's values. The Arab world by and large despises the US (despite significant financial and military aid that the US provides to a number of Arab countries), commits or cheers terrorism against the US, and shares none of America's values. This is the reality and the media coverage reflects that reality. So I am not sure what your gripe is.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Google is your friend, or remain ignorant...
Okay. I’ll remain ignorant.

Besides, the issue is how’s this in our national interest. What Israel gives us or the world is irrelevant anyway. We’ve given the world a helluva a lot more than Israel has...,and the Germans and French opposed our invasion of Iraq.

Shrug. That’s life.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:49 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not sure whether this comment is more wrong or more insulting, but no doubt a good deal of both...

I will ignore the anti-Semite comment, of course, because my recognition about the "Jewish influence" is no more anti-Semite than it is racist to notice most men playing in the NFL are black!

Nor is this about explaining "everything around." You surely need to turn down all this ridiculous rhetoric.

As simply pointed out before, I have noticed a marked "representation" of Jews in the movies, very much beyond what numbers Jews represent in America. Something I have noticed for a long time now, after watching more movies than most (we have an annual pass every year). It's almost as if I can hardly see a movie without the friend being Jewish, the neighbor, the store keeper, the love interest. Host of the Academy Awards...

Add all the many movies about what happened to the Jews during WWI and WWII, and it gets pretty hard not to notice just how heavy the influence truly is when it comes to American cinema, TV too for that matter. No doubt Arabs are nowhere near on the screen as often, nor Chinese, native Indians, Japanese, and on and on. Palestinians? Forget about it...

Right or wrong? Good or bad? Not really my point. My point is that the influence is heavily lopsided. Simple as that.

Why? You must be kidding to explain this reality with the reasons you do. Kidding yourself maybe, but really?
So you've ridiculed Fitzrovian who essentially said this over-representation of Jews in this country was based on merit. And you claim that it's due to Jewish Influence. But that's not anti-Semitic according to you any more than noting that football players are over-represented in the NFL. That's a false analogy though because football players are obviously there because they're good football players, but you're saying Jews are there because of some undefined, "Jewish Influence". Big difference.

Jews are over-represented everywhere you look -- as lawyers, doctors, in congress, banking, and yes, Hollywood. Is that all due to Jewish Influence, not merit? Is there some nefarious scheme by Jews which promotes them over other ethnicities I hope that's not what you meant, because that would be anti-Semitic. So please explain.
Quote:
It also does not matter what Arabs in the middle east make of themselves as far as the West is concerned. Their land, their resources, their problems that are many keeping them from making progress similar to democratic gains in the Western world, but that's true for many parts of the world where other world interests have made it very difficult for natives to live as they wish, in peace.
Palestinians squander their resources and youth on hate. They spend billions on tunnels and rockets instead of building industry and educating their young. It's not Israel that makes them do this, it's their choice. The Palestinians would be successful if they loved their children more than they hate Jews.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
So you've ridiculed Fitzrovian who essentially said this over-representation of Jews in this country was based on merit. And you claim that it's due to Jewish Influence. But that's not anti-Semitic according to you any more than noting that football players are over-represented in the NFL. That's a false analogy though because football players are obviously there because they're good football players, but you're saying Jews are there because of some undefined, "Jewish Influence". Big difference.

Jews are over-represented everywhere you look -- as lawyers, doctors, in congress, banking, and yes, Hollywood. Is that all due to Jewish Influence, not merit? Is there some nefarious scheme by Jews which promotes them over other ethnicities I hope that's not what you meant, because that would be anti-Semitic. So please explain.
Palestinians squander their resources and youth on hate. They spend billions on tunnels and rockets instead of building industry and educating their young. It's not Israel that makes them do this, it's their choice. The Palestinians would be successful if they loved their children more than they hate Jews.
Uhhhh Gawd...you folks and your anti Palestinian platitudes.

“Loved their children more than they hate Jews.”

Americans like yourself hate Palestinians, and they’ve never done ANTHING to you. Most of you have never even met an Arab, let alone a Palestinian.

You’re taking on some other group’s hate based on politics that don’t even affect your lives. What the Palestinians do with their resources has no bearing on your life whatsoever. No Palestinian has ever touched a hair on your head, so what’s up with the enmity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies