Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2017, 04:26 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Yes, I have an issue with the concept of "classes" of people in general.

Protected or otherwise.

People are people, and no one is deserving of more "protection" than anyone else.

I don't feel bad for the clan....just using your silly logic against you.

The laws that you are endorsing to "protect" certain people are the same ones that government uses to divide us.

When you figure that out, maybe we can find a seat for you at the grown up's table.
Those laws protect you too. Unless you don't have a race, sex, sexual orientation, or religion. Maybe you're a canine and thus not protected under any anti-discrimination laws since they only apply to humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 04:27 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yeah, when people talk about what the German government did to the Jews, someone should explain that the Jews should have just fled Germany. Don’t stay in the country if you can’t stand the ovens.

You’d do well as a supporter of things like dictatorships.
Yes, because anti-discrimination laws are just like concentration camps.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:28 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
They could buy a plain looking, pre-made birthday cake he was selling and use it as their wedding cake, say if they were having a small ceremony, nothing too fancy. He'd never know, because apparently he's totally cool with selling gays cakes for other reasons. He's a hypocrite. Their money is good in some contexts but not others, yet he may not even know WHY they're using what he's selling. It's only not okay if he has to make the cake from scratch by order. Do you not see the holes in his logic? Because I sure as hell do.
He is not a hypocrite, he is very clear it is about the event. He could sell me cookies all year but would not make a cake for my Halloween party, so what?

Of course he cannot control what customers do with the goods they buy off the shelf. But he can refuse requests to do the things he objects to. It is costing him.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:29 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I may have an issue with the concept of protected classes....

But you definitely have an issue with the concept of sarcasm.
Nah, I think you've proven you really have no idea what you're talking about. Don't try to cover it up now.

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
He can choose to make no special order wedding cakes in his business if he's going to pick and choose, arbitrarily, who gets them. He could have made it a business practice all long to sell no custom made wedding cakes, and we'd have zero issue. He is in control here, don't act like he is some victim. CO has a law, that is now in dispute, but until, if, it must be overturned, he has to follow it.

I am quite familiar with the case because I know that this baker alleges he only refuses to serve gays when he has to make a custom order cake. It's fine if it's a birthday cake or cupcakes or cookies or other pre-made item he is selling. So a gay person could theoretically walk in and buy something pre-made, that the baker has already made, for his wedding, and baker will never know. Apparently, only some of the money is good money, and some is bad or tainted, but the method he use to get there is arbitrary.

Like I have pointed out many times (obviously you have not kept up with the tread, even in recent pages), does he also refuse to serve divorced people who are remarrying? Those who have cheated on their spouses and are getting married? Those who have kids before marriage, thus have had sex before marriage? Or are gays the only alleged religious issue? No one seems to want to address this. If it's really about religion, but not deny more people on that basis? It would look far less suspect.
I can see you now, “Sorry Ms Parks but if you want to make the choice to ride on the bus, the law says you must sit in the back, and if need be, give your seat to a white man. That’s what society wants, and you decided to get on the bus. If you don’t like it, walk.”

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Creed is not covered under the CRA of 1964. Race, color, religion, sex, or national origin are.
Vreed is covered under some state laws. California includes creed and defines it as such "include all aspects of religious belief, observance, and practice, including religious dress and grooming practices.” Nothing I could see as including the KKK as they are not a religion.
You need to read the definition of religion in the 1964 CRA, not just assume Religion means what you think it does.

Quote:
(j) The term “religion” includes all aspects of religious observance and practice, as well as belief, unless an employer demonstrates that he is unable to reasonably accommodate to an employee’s or prospective employee’s religious observance or practice without undue hardship on the conduct of the employer’s business.
So is the KKK based on a founding belief? Well Duh! Does it have religious observance and practice? You think running around wearing white sheets and pointy hats is purely for their savoir faire?

Like it or not it appears to fit the criteria of a religion.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yes, because anti-discrimination laws are just like concentration camps.
The government taking away individual freedoms starts down that path.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:31 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I think this is right. You shouldn't force businesses to serve customers that they don't want to serve; the reasons are immaterial.
You do understand what kind of crazy consequences that could have, right?

Beyond gay people.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
He is not a hypocrite, he is very clear it is about the event. He could sell me cookies all year but would not make a cake for my Halloween party, so what?

Of course he cannot control what customers do with the goods they buy off the shelf. But he can refuse requests to do the things he objects to. It is costing him.
He is absolutely a hypocrite if he does not refuse service to other people on the basis of his religion as well - yet again, divorced people remarrying, etc. etc. that I've already mentioned multiple times. The religion argument would go better way if he applied it equally to all marriages Christianity allegedly tells you not to approve of.

He's also a hypocrite because he will sell gays cookies but not a specially made wedding cake - because of the wedding. What if gays are using cookies for their wedding but the baker doesn't know it? Hypocrite. Arbitrary.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You do understand what kind of crazy consequences that could have, right?

Beyond gay people.
What consequences? Inconvenience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies