Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2017, 02:07 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You could ask that of any of the men who have been accused so far? Why didn't Cosby's supporters come forward sooner? Why didn't women like Gwyneth Paltrow and Anglenia Jolie come forward sooner? They are financially set for life and had little to lose by speaking out.

I think the reason why women come forward at the 11th hour is because they don't want to deal with the media scrutiny and the attacks from Super PACs, bloggers and online trolls. You are basically declaring open season on yourself so a lot of women probably feel it's not even worth it.

In this case specifically, the Post articles made it clear what the timing of the article was. The Post says it was doing an article on Moore's supporters when a reporter overheard an accusation that Moore had dated underage girls while he was a district attorney. This then prompted the Post to go looking for those women. Also, I think a U.S. Senate race is going to naturally invite more media scrutiny than a race for a state judge position, so it wasn't something that was going to surface until supporters really started digging.
There is that, maybe. You don't have the national exposure in a state race usually but, then again, the Post has been gunning for Moore since the 10 Commandments controversy.

Moving on from Moore I do have to ask how many people would survive scrutiny for boorishness (setting aside that it appears that the definition of sexual assault has been modified now). If everybody who has acted like an ass has to resign there won't be many people going to work tomorrow.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:11 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerse View Post
Lmao at trump supporters cheering for the Jerusalem thing, every foreign policy expert will tell you it will derail peace process and create more terrorists.

Why is maga crowd so hopelessly dumb and unaware of international politics?

Obama-the-Bozo-Clown was a joke when it came to international politics (actually he was a joke on domestic issues too). America is winning again. I know that upsets you left-wing lunatics. Get over it, we have at least 7 more good years of winning. These are truly good times!

Old 12-06-2017, 02:14 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There is that, maybe. You don't have the national exposure in a state race usually but, then again, the Post has been gunning for Moore since the 10 Commandments controversy.
I had never heard of Roy Moore until he ran for Senate. Why would anyone, including the Post, care about a local politician who has zero impact on national politics?

Quote:
Moving on from Moore I do have to ask how many people would survive scrutiny for boorishness (setting aside that it appears that the definition of sexual assault has been modified now). If everybody who has acted like an ass has to resign there won't be many people going to work tomorrow.
There's a difference between acting like an ass and having intimate relations with a 14-year old. You could probably dig up a lot of "dirt" on any heterosexual fratboy from his college days, but that probably wouldn't include dating an 8th grader.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:15 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Obama-the-Bozo-Clown was a joke when it came to international politics (actually he was a joke on domestic issues too). America is winning again. I know that upsets you left-wing lunatics. Get over it, we have at least 7 more good years of winning. These are truly good times!
Why do people post nonsense like this? They’re not even engaging in the conversation. By all rights, this should be considered trolling.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:16 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerse View Post
So let me get this straight. GOP and now Dems tell Franken to resign, although number of women accusing him of sexual harassment & assault is smaller than those who accused Trump. Why is there a different standard for potus can you please explain? Does the fact that there is 1 or 2 photos of Franken actually change anything here in terms of credibility of women accusing Trump?

Also, isnt child molestation like twice bad? Dude approaching and undressing 14 year old girls is ok to be a senator, but a Dem senator touching inappropriately grown women is not?

Let me hear you out, "conservatives".
Yes. It's called "proof".

Old 12-06-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yes. It's called "proof".
There are 3 women who have accused Al Franken of misconduct. You are saying there is evidence to substantiate all of the claims of these 3 women?

Old 12-06-2017, 02:24 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I had never heard of Roy Moore until he ran for Senate. Why would anyone, including the Post, care about a local politician who has zero impact on national politics?

There's a difference between acting like an ass and having intimate relations with a 14-year old. You could probably dig up a lot of "dirt" on any heterosexual fratboy from his college days, but that probably wouldn't include dating an 8th grader.
Umm, I said to disregard Moore for my second statement.

The Post fashions itself as a "national" newspaper. It covered the 10 Commandments issue ad infinitum.

"Intimate relations" typically means sexual activity of some sort. Has that now been alleged? Just the original story is disqualifying but no one is helped by changing that to statutory rape, which you just did.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Umm, I said to disregard Moore for my second statement.
True. You did.

Quote:
The Post fashions itself as a "national" newspaper. It covered the 10 Commandments issue ad infinitum.
They covered Moore because his actions and views were more than a bit sensational. That does not mean they were "gunning" for him. You make it seem as if the New York Times and Washington Post go around building a file on any loon they cover in the off chance said loon may aspire to higher office some day. It'd be like saying the Post is "gunning" for Clive Bundy.

Quote:
"Intimate relations" typically means sexual activity of some sort. Has that now been alleged? Just the original story is disqualifying but no one is helped by changing that to statutory rape, which you just did.
Well, I didn't want to write it out, but yes, I believe touching a man "down there" qualifies as that type of activity.

Quote:
On a second visit, she says, he took off her shirt and pants and removed his clothes. He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear.
That's more than just a friendly hug.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:35 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Why do people post nonsense like this? They’re not even engaging in the conversation. By all rights, this should be considered trolling.
And I love the constant use of "winning." It's so Charlie Sheen. Which really is such an apt representation of this group of "americans."

Old 12-06-2017, 02:41 PM

833 posts, read 520,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So, in your opinion the people should decide in Alabama but the party should decide in Minnesota?

Double standard much?
22 percent of Minnesotans think Franken should stay in office. The state came **this close** to voting for Trump in 2016. Cracks are starting to form in that blue mecca. You should be very, very concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies