Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
doesn't matter what ANYONE from ANY party has said, or not said......we NEED to reform and cut the fraud out of the programs, if we want them to last

when you have a budget(for medicare) of 700 billion, and there is at least 100 billion in fraud, waste, and abuse.....something needs to be done

and that can be said for very line item on the whole federal budget.. we have a spending on fraud and waste problem....nation wide...and from both parties
There's institutional provider fraud and individual provider fraud.

The CEO of one of the largest institutional frauds resigned in disgrace. The people in his state then went on to elect him Governor.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Ryan pledges 'entitlement reform' in 2018 | TheHill

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) on Wednesday said House Republicans will aim to cut spending on Medicare, Medicaid and welfare programs next year as a way to trim the federal deficit.

“We’re going to have to get back next year at entitlement reform, which is how you tackle the debt and the deficit,” Ryan said during an interview on Ross Kaminsky's talk radio show.

Health-care entitlements such as Medicare and Medicaid “are the big drivers of debt,” Ryan said, “so we spend more time on the health care entitlements, because that's really where the problem lies, fiscally speaking."

Ryan said he’s been speaking privately with President Trump, who is beginning to warm to the idea of slowing the spending growth in entitlements

But billionaires and investment banks needed tax cuts, right?
they are not going to cut spending for medicare for anyone already being covered. Will they raised the cost for some items like office visits maybe a $ or so but no one needs to panic over possible cuts that will affect senior. As for medicaid that remains to be seen. I think anyone who really takes time to use their brain realizes adjustments do need to be made in the programs. We are living longer, so we should not be eligible to cash in on medicare at 65, maybe 70 is more realistic. As for changes in 2018, come on people use the head God gave you: all the plans for 2018 are already out. Any changes have been approved and any changes made now will not even take effect until 2019 at the earliest. do I like the thought of paying more or getting less? Hell no, I am on a fixed income, way over 65 and don't have a lot of $$s to spend, but I am also a realist and understand changes do need to be made.

Last edited by nmnita; 12-07-2017 at 09:16 AM..

Old 12-07-2017, 09:06 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Medicare isn't free, I pay $536 quarterly, wife pays $136 a month. Then you need a supplemental plan on top of that $300-$600 a month. Start saving people. Figure on $750-$1000 a month.
How much would you be paying without Medicare?

Old 12-07-2017, 09:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Thank you! I'm right on the cusp. I've been working since I was 15 (part-time) and have yet to collect one thin dime.

I'm 56 and wondering if I will EVER get to retire if they keep raising the age. Yes, I do have savings and could retire earlier but I want to leave something for my son if at all possible - give him a safety net. Help him pay off what loans he has . . .

I never thought I would even want to retire but Corporate America isn't always kind to their older employees so you have to be ready for anything.
Eligibility for Medicare has been 65 all along.

The full retirement age for Social Security was gradually raised almost 35 years ago, in 1983.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:23 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
I really don't get the Republicans. There is a term called being in denial. They are faced with all these facts and choose to believe that their party won't hurt them.

Hey buddy, the Republicans will take back what they can give to their bosses, just like the company that you work for.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:31 AM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times
I have seen quite a bite of fear-mongering over this. As a mother of an adult son with developmental disabilities, I decided to do some reading. ACA actually did more harm to individuals with disabilities in our state than it did good, so things here were better. And, all the crap about returning such people to "institutions" is a bunch of crap too as institutional care is extremely expensive, and states are already strapped for cash.

Sad that people can't just look at the facts and use commonsense. Yeah, I know, commonsense is tough to come by.

Also, by reducing the illegal alien population, we will save more than $2 billion dollars of money on Medicaid which will cover some/all of the cuts. Illegal aliens use the emergency room 3 times the rate of a US citizen and through a loophole in Medicaid, we (taxpayers) pick up the tab, this includes birthing their anchor babies who then get Medicaid for their medical expenses, this is an expense that should never have happened and does not count toward the $2 billion.

Frankly, I am very aware of what Medicaid recipients get in the way of benefits, and they surpass what many, many working people get. Obamaphones (smart phones) that include much, much more than my flip phone (cost of the program is $2.2 billion) and a host of other freebies. Many don't want to work or earn more than a certain amount because they want to continue to be eligible for Medicaid.

So, there will be a lot of fear-mongering, and those that can't think for themselves and/or who are still in pain over the last election will be drowning in their own tears. Oh boo-hoo!

Savings removing illegal aliens using emergency medical and Obamaphones? Over $4 billion. Not a bad start.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have seen quite a bite of fear-mongering over this. As a mother of an adult son with developmental disabilities, I decided to do some reading. ACA actually did more harm to individuals with disabilities in our state than it did good, so things here were better. And, all the crap about returning such people to "institutions" is a bunch of crap too as institutional care is extremely expensive, and states are already strapped for cash.

Sad that people can't just look at the facts and use commonsense. Yeah, I know, commonsense is tough to come by.

Also, by reducing the illegal alien population, we will save more than $2 billion dollars of money on Medicaid which will cover some/all of the cuts. Illegal aliens use the emergency room 3 times the rate of a US citizen and through a loophole in Medicaid, we (taxpayers) pick up the tab, this includes birthing their anchor babies who then get Medicaid for their medical expenses, this is an expense that should never have happened and does not count toward the $2 billion.

Frankly, I am very aware of what Medicaid recipients get in the way of benefits, and they surpass what many, many working people get. Obamaphones (smart phones) that include much, much more than my flip phone (cost of the program is $2.2 billion) and a host of other freebies. Many don't want to work or earn more than a certain amount because they want to continue to be eligible for Medicaid.

So, there will be a lot of fear-mongering, and those that can't think for themselves and/or who are still in pain over the last election will be drowning in their own tears. Oh boo-hoo!

Savings removing illegal aliens using emergency medical and Obamaphones? Over $4 billion. Not a bad start.
How about calling Obama phones what they really are! Reagan phones. Yes, it was good ole' Ronnie that signed the bill establishing free phone service. Kansas isn't exactly a model of economic reform thanks to Gov Brownback, (more like Brownbottom ...for what he spread all over the state). With your undying support of the Republican party and Dear Leader, you can cut back all those "unnecessary gubmint regulations", like clean water, so you can enjoy drinking all of those fracking chemicals leeching into the Midwest aquifers. Then, as a result, you'll have lot of friends with children, who have developmental disabilities. They won't have health insurance either ...so pay up!

Old 12-07-2017, 12:23 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
I have seen quite a bite of fear-mongering over this. As a mother of an adult son with developmental disabilities, I decided to do some reading. ACA actually did more harm to individuals with disabilities in our state than it did good, so things here were better.
Yes indeed because you live in Kansas, a state that did not expand medicaid, otherwise your adult son could have qualified for medicaid and you'd be singing a different tune
Quote:
Also, by reducing the illegal alien population, we will save more than $2 billion dollars of money on Medicaid which will cover some/all of the cuts.
When are all these illegals going to be deported because it sure hasn't happened so far. "As of Sept. 9, three weeks before the end of the 2017 fiscal year, ICE had deported 211,068 immigrants, according to the most recent figures provided by the agency. ICE removed 240,255 people during the government’s 2016 fiscal year." There aren't enough detention centers to hold many more than that, and Trump won't do anything even approaching a mass deportation because he will never risk upsetting the corporations which rely upon undocumented immigrant labor.
Quote:
Illegal aliens use the emergency room 3 times the rate of a US citizen and through a loophole in Medicaid, we (taxpayers) pick up the tab, this includes birthing their anchor babies who then get Medicaid for their medical expenses, this is an expense that should never have happened and does not count toward the $2 billion.
The 2 billion DOES include medicaid expenses for 'anchor babies' . It appears that you are relying upon an old chain email for that claim. And those babies are citizens and entitled to the same benefits of citizenship as you and I. Don't like it? Call your congressional reps and tell them to change it.
Quote:
Frankly, I am very aware of what Medicaid recipients get in the way of benefits, and they surpass what many, many working people get. Obamaphones (smart phones) that include much, much more than my flip phone (cost of the program is $2.2 billion) and a host of other freebies.
The lifeline program does cost 2.2 billion a year, but that is not from the general fund, it is from fees paid by communications companies who pass that on to customers. And the program was not started by Obama, it was started in 1985 by the FCC under Ronald Reagan. And the phones are crap, they may look like smartphones but they are far from it.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:26 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Omg. How obsurd
Yes, I suppose working and saving is absurd to liberals.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:48 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
they are not going to cut spending for medicare for anyone already being covered. Will they raised the cost for some items like office visits maybe a $ or so but no one needs to panic over possible cuts that will affect senior. As for medicaid that remains to be seen. I think anyone who really takes time to use their brain realizes adjustments do need to be made in the programs. We are living longer, so we should not be eligible to cash in on medicare at 65, maybe 70 is more realistic. As for changes in 2018, come on people use the head God gave you: all the plans for 2018 are already out. Any changes have been approved and any changes made now will not even take effect until 2019 at the earliest. do I like the thought of paying more or getting less? Hell no, I am on a fixed income, way over 65 and don't have a lot of $$s to spend, but I am also a realist and understand changes do need to be made.
You don't know that for a fact though, do you? If they pass their tax plan, paygo rules will require an immediate cut of 25 billion to medicare and that will definitely impact current recipients. As not being able to get medicare until you are 70, do you have any idea what that would do to the cost of health insurance premiums for younger people? What makes more sense is to put people over 50 or 55 on medicare which would lower premiums for everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies