Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 01:15 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
they are not going to cut spending for medicare for anyone already being covered. Will they raised the cost for some items like office visits maybe a $ or so but no one needs to panic over possible cuts that will affect senior. As for medicaid that remains to be seen. I think anyone who really takes time to use their brain realizes adjustments do need to be made in the programs. We are living longer, so we should not be eligible to cash in on medicare at 65, maybe 70 is more realistic. As for changes in 2018, come on people use the head God gave you: all the plans for 2018 are already out. Any changes have been approved and any changes made now will not even take effect until 2019 at the earliest. do I like the thought of paying more or getting less? Hell no, I am on a fixed income, way over 65 and don't have a lot of $$s to spend, but I am also a realist and understand changes do need to be made.

No nmnita, you are simply not very well informed. Our spending on benefits is not nearly as high as extremists from the right like to pretend.
It seems high because the federal budget is too small to spend almost 1 TRILLION a year on our military. We are bankrupting the nation by having TOO BIG OF A MILITARY. we have massive overhead, endless pensions, millions of vets, hundreds of thousands with lifelong injuries, it is a insane.

small nations with worse population structures than ours can afford to fully fund retirement and healthcare.

Tell me nmnita, is it that Americans are too weak? are we too stupid? too poor? OR is it that Americans are just too selfish ?

It is not as if these are easy choices for other nations, many find it hard to fund programs, but consider this? They still manage to do it and often with GDP less than half of ours....

yet they do it fine, because they are not as selfish and greedy as we are.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:06 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,928,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Yes, I suppose working and saving is absurd to liberals.
Nope, worked longer than most here have been alive, saved well, invested well, own everything I have with no debt other than a couple of credit cards which I keep paid down at very low balances. That said the government made promises when they took the money and now they need to uphold their end of the bargain. First off maybe the government should consider repaying the money they "borrowed" from SS, then cut off funding to the rest of the world, then have some accountability in military spending, and reform the welfare programs so that those that need it get it and those that abuse it are thrown off, oh and stop giving illegals welfare, food stamps, you name it. Get all that done and I doubt there would be any reason to cut SS or Medicare.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:10 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
The seniors already on medicare will not be affected. Just another version of "I got mine".
This is nothing to do with “I got Mine” you must not care about a safety net. Do you want to see seniors eat cat food because they can’t afford medical and food? What kind of Political party is so cold? Where is their humanity? More screwed up ideas from the Republicans...

Old 12-07-2017, 09:39 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,444,662 times
FTR, I don’t expect Trump to go along with this. Trump is much smarter than Ryan and knows that the 2016 election was not fought and won over Medicare.

Doing anything to Medicare will ensure a Democratic majority in the House.

I have to say, being Speaker with a Republican President has really exposed Ryan. He was way overrated and really isn’t as smart as people thought he was.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:33 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Rational people desire a functional government no matter their political leanings.
Unfortunate there aren't many here!

Old 12-08-2017, 06:02 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Rational people desire a functional government no matter their political leanings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Rational people dont like being victims.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Times are changing.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:23 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,928,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Sure there are, on both sides, they just get screamed down when they try pushing for balance, often by their own side of the aisle.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The GOP takes away much needed benefits for the sick and poor to give unneeded tax cuts to the big corporations and the the rich. They are truly despicable.
explain what benefits for the truly sick and poor have been taken away?

Old 12-09-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Why do you think you should be exempt from changes or cuts? I guess you got yours and that is all that matters to you. It is a good thing that the previous generation didn't feel the same way about your future benefits.
Where in the hell did I say I should be exempt? The point is, the libs are saying cuts will take place in 2018; my point is: NOPE, they can not as the programs are already set for 2018 plus the scare that all of us are going to be affected is just not the case. Those being affected if any changes do take place will only be implemented for younger people thus giving them time to adjust. I have never ever said anyone should not be affected. Actually the age guidelines have been adjusted depending on birth dates. Medicare no, it has always been 65 since it's inception back in about 1965, but the age for receiving SS has been upped as well as the amount of money one can make if the choose to start collecting their SS prior to the age when they are fully eligible for max amount. Maybe you need to go back and re-read what I said. And maybe you need to research the SS and medicare policy? Do I want to see changes that would affect me in a negative way, as I said, I too, like many live on a fixed income and it would be tough but as I also said; I am a realist and know changes are necessary.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You don't know that for a fact though, do you? If they pass their tax plan, paygo rules will require an immediate cut of 25 billion to medicare and that will definitely impact current recipients. As not being able to get medicare until you are 70, do you have any idea what that would do to the cost of health insurance premiums for younger people? What makes more sense is to put people over 50 or 55 on medicare which would lower premiums for everyone else.
I probably know a heck of a lot more than you do and I can pretty much assure you any cuts to medicare would not take effect in 2018. This is not saying saying currant recipients will not be affected in 2019 with either a cut in benefits or a raise in premiums or both. I am simply saying it will not affect them in 2018. Can you argue about that? If you know how the system works you would understand what I am saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.