Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 07:39 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times

Advertisements

Civil rights activist boycotting a civil rights museum... the irony...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 10:53 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,325,731 times
Dixie loves the Donald Trump!

Quote:
President Donald Trump is scheduled to be in Jackson Saturday for the openings of the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum and the Mississippi Museum of History, and many are braced for what the president may say.

While some past controversial comments made by the president at press conferences and via Twitter have drawn criticism from Republicans and Democrats alike, other remarks by Trump during previous civil rights events also have been well-received.

The Clarion Ledger compiled a list of several comments surrounding race that Trump made as a candidate, president-elect and president.

"They're rapists."

Announcing his bid for president in 2015, Trump attacked Mexico and Mexican immigrants.
"When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best," he said. "They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

"No spirit"

At the Maryland GOP annual dinner in June 2015, then-candidate Trump said African American teens have reached "a point where they've just about never done more poorly, there's no spirit, there’s killings on an hourly basis virtually in places like Baltimore and Chicago and many other places."

David Duke

In February 2016, Trump disavowed former KKK imperial wizard David Duke, saying, "I disavow, OK?"
Then, in an interview on CNN, Trump said, "I know nothing about David Duke. I know nothing about white supremacists. And so you're asking me a question that I'm supposed to be talking about people that I know nothing about.

"You wouldn't want me to condemn a group that I know nothing about. I would have to look. If you would send me a list of the groups, I will do research on them. And certainly, I would disavow if I thought there was something wrong."
Trump later blamed his hesitancy to answer on a bad earpiece.

"I love Hispanics!"

In a tweet from May 2016, Trump posted with a taco salad, his thumbs up.
"Happy #CincoDeMayo! The best taco bowls are made in Trump Tower Grill. I love Hispanics!"

Claiming an American judge was biased because "he's a Mexican."

At a rally in California, also in May 2016, candidate Trump referenced U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curie, the judge in the class action lawsuit against Trump University.
“The judge, who happens to be, we believe, Mexican…I think the Mexicans are going to end up loving Donald Trump.”
Curie, an American citizen, was born in Indiana.
At the same rally, Trump said, “I really like when they put up ‘Latinos for Trump.’ ‘Latinos for Trump.’ I love it. We’re going to do great with Latinos.”
In an interview with CNN the following month, Trump again referenced Curie, saying he would not rule impartially on a class action suit involving Trump University because "he's a Mexican."
"He's a Mexican," Trump said. "We’re building a wall between here and Mexico. The answer is, he is giving us very unfair rulings — rulings that people can’t even believe."

"My African American"

“Oh look at my African American over here,” Trump proclaimed at a California rally in June 2016. “Are you the greatest?"
The man, who told the New York Times he was not a Trump supporter, said he was not offended by the remark. , said he was not offended by the remark.

A look at Donald Trump's comments surrounding race.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:01 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Trump can bring the country together. United we stand, divided we fall.

Boycott, protests threatened if President Trump comes
More difficult to charge trump as a racist if he visits.

the protests and boycotts are what the anti racist racists do, along with causing damage and violence.

So much for civil rights protection and equality for all when the so called civil rights orgs protest.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:12 AM

57,238 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
After reading more of the article and the comments some of those that are staying away are making-I think it's good that Trump is coming. Keep the bigots, haters and racists making those statements away makes for a more inclusive event that brings people together instead of splitting them apart. An event like this is too great for identity politics. Let's hope they have the decency to stay away and not ruin this event for the people attending.
Yet he is supporting Roy Moore, is he considered a bigot or was Trumps response to Charlottesville

Maybe by visiting the museum he will see that Moore's opponent was the prosecutor in the conviction of Klan members.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:16 AM

57,238 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Civil rights activist boycotting a civil rights museum... the irony...
I don't think the activists are boycotting a civil rights museum.

I wonder how many other civil rights museums Trump has visited, I hear he is a big supporter.
Maybe he is different than his father.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:21 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Maybe they can spray Trump with a fire hose and have a few German Shepherds bite his fat rear to give him a sense of what it was like!

Old 12-07-2017, 12:03 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,325,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
More difficult to charge trump as a racist if he visits.

the protests and boycotts are what the anti racist racists do, along with causing damage and violence.

So much for civil rights protection and equality for all when the so called civil rights orgs protest.

They are going to keep the protesters at a distance, so Trump may not see or hear them.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:41 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,187,543 times
Default Trump to attend civil rights museum opening in Mississippi

My hackles are going up. They didn't say if he was going to speak, I would think under normal circumstances the president would, but this president, Trump doesn't do normal. I just don't see anything good coming from this for him or the opening. For the sake of a nice ceremony I would think or hope Trump would stay away. I suppose he will also be visiting Roy Moore since he will be in the neighborhood.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:43 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
My hackles are going up. They didn't say if he was going to speak, I would think under normal circumstances the president would, but this president, Trump doesn't do normal. I just don't see anything good coming from this for him or the opening. For the sake of a nice ceremony I would think or hope Trump would stay away. I suppose he will also be visiting Roy Moore since he will be in the neighborhood.

Like anything else he'll come out looking like the arse he is.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:44 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,441,673 times
You're just looking for something to rail against Trump about that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies