Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 06:06 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The issue is the plethora of laws and the gotchas! For example you can legally travel through any state with any gun as long you can legally possess the gun from your point of origin to your destination. There was a guy traveling from Utah to PA with layover in Newark. He checked his gun as required in Utah and the plane was late arriving in Newark where he missed the next flight, they packed everybody on a bus since it wasn't a long drive. His bags never made it onto the bus so he got off the bus and retrieved them including the gun. Spent the night at a motel and returned to the airport the next day, when he went to check his gun they arrested him.

He spent a week or two in jail before they finally released him without charging him and then he spent a few years trying to get his gun back. Something like that is simply unacceptable.
There sis also the story about the woman who was passing through NJ and was arrested.

Later Christie had all charges against her dropped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, basically no one knows what the bill would do. I am guessing the Congress didn't know either.
"I am guessing the Congress didn't know either."

ONLY the dems in the House.

"we have to pass it, to find out what is in it"

Old 12-11-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I haven't read the article yet, but have a couple thoughts. This will have a much harder time passing the senate. There are a handful of Democrats from states that have a high percentage of gun owners. Do we have a good idea of which Dems in the Senate might vote 'yes'?
It isn't hard to find.

"
Summary: H.R.38 — 115th Congress (2017-2018)All Information (Except Text)

There is one summary for H.R.38. Bill summaries are authored by CRS.

Shown Here:
Introduced in House (01/03/2017)

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017
This bill amends the federal criminal code to allow a qualified individual to carry a concealed handgun into or possess a concealed handgun in another state that allows individuals to carry concealed firearms.
A qualified individual must: (1) be eligible to possess, transport, or receive a firearm under federal law; (2) carry a valid photo identification document; and (3) carry a valid concealed carry permit issued by, or be eligible to carry a concealed firearm in, his or her state of residence.
Additionally, the bill specifies that a qualified individual who lawfully carries or possesses a concealed handgun in another state: (1) is not subject to the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm in a school zone, and (2) may carry or possess the concealed handgun in federally owned lands that are open to the public.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...y+act%22%5D%7D

Old 12-11-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Ok, had my coffee now. Should the law state that you can only carry said caliber handgun? Again that's a whole different debate as well. This could and should take years to sort out there are so many "what if questions on this topic. Do shop owners, restaurants, etc. Do they have the right to ask if your carrying?
Can they refuse to let you in of you are? These are just a few questions that should be asked I'm sure there are hundreds more as well. It would be so easy to over think this bill.

I'm not sure that I see this bill passing because of these and so many other questions.

I am a gun owner myself they don't leave the house unless we go to the gun range. My wife and I do plan to get a CWP here soon though. As I said in my OP being able to carry one while we travel would be nice knowing if someone broke into our camper while we're in it. Maybe making castle law would be the answer. Perhaps being able to have a gun in your car/camper/boat would be enough.

Again so many questions need to be answered first.
"Should the law state that you can only carry said caliber handgun? Again that's a whole different debate as well"

A debate that would only last about 10 seconds because it is a stupid suggestion.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:38 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Oh, please. The government doesn't fear a bunch of hicks packing guns. The only people who have to fear them are OTHER LAW ABIDING CITIZENS who never know when some gun nut is going to lose it and start shooting people because they're brown, "threatening" or some other crap. Hell, this doesn't even benefit most criminals - aside from the ones in red states who get off the hook for their crimes - since they don't follow the law anyway. No, it just allows the dangerously paranoid types to be armed at all times, which is the last thing we need.

Every day, the US military pounds into the dirt terrorists on the other side of the planet who are far better armed, trained, and equipped than any rag-tag band of old, out-of-shape, rage-filled gun nuts who are gonna "kill duh guberment for doing nothing for me" or some crap. The government does not fear you and never will, but start handing out guns to all the irresponsible idiots out there who can barely park a car without killing somebody, and you have a lot of extra and totally unnecessary bloodshed on your hands.
Gee, I wonder how it came to be this way?!! Doesnt seem like a coincidence to me.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:40 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I am guessing the Congress didn't know either."

ONLY the dems in the House.

"we have to pass it, to find out what is in it"
If it truly is this way, the tables can easily be turned though, so repubs can sneak stuff thru.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:43 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Some ALWAYS play the RACE card.

How utterly SAD!
But I'm sure it was ok when Ronald Reagan played the race card and signed the Mulford Act into law here in California.

California was an open carry state until the Black Panthers started executing their Second Amendment rights. The Mulford Act, signed by Governor Ronanad Reagan (R) took away our constitutional right to bear arms.

That's why I'm leery of any pro gun initiative.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:51 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
But the type of thing NYC does allow is Sean Hannity carrying a concealed handgun, something you can never do.
I do wonder about his mental stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Thanks, people don't want to follow the law, they get what they deserve.

Here are thousands of reasons we need this type of help.....do you disagree with all these, or should they have called the cops?
There was a reason event in NYC where the terrorist that killed people was stopped by an off duty policeman as it should be, no we don't need more people carrying concealed guns out on the street.

Lost in all this was the lack of oversight of people with mental health issues slipping through the screening process, that should be the focus.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:03 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
But I'm sure it was ok when Ronald Reagan played the race card and signed the Mulford Act into law here in California.

California was an open carry state until the Black Panthers started executing their Second Amendment rights. The Mulford Act, signed by Governor Ronanad Reagan (R) took away our constitutional right to bear arms.

That's why I'm leery of any pro gun initiative.
Calif. governor signs ban on handguns in the open - US news - Life | NBC News

California expands its ban on the open carry of rifles - LA Times

I was quite ok with unloaded open carry.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:05 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I do wonder about his mental stability.

There was a reason event in NYC where the terrorist that killed people was stopped by an off duty policeman as it should be, no we don't need more people carrying concealed guns out on the street.

Lost in all this was the lack of oversight of people with mental health issues slipping through the screening process, that should be the focus.
Giving someone a badge doesn't make them an expert on gun safety. Hence the cop that lost a gun in the changing room.

It is very rare that a cop is there when you actually need one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies