Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 02:43 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Ill debate that.

I disagree with having to pay more for a joke of a qualification to have the right to travel through the states while carrying. Can use that money on ammo or invest in private, real training, that supersedes a silly low bar but over priced standard. And if the government gets involved It isn't for the good of the people. Its for Uncle Sams wallet.

I absolutely disagree.

Its like bumping into people at the range from Illinois that go on about how much better their states qualifications are. No. That's justification on spending more and getting very little for "training"
Its exactly the same as bragging about how much someone spent on a car a house etc.

It shows you have more money than brains...

Plus you set something in stone that can be striked through at a later date when a democrat gets their way. So no.

The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A federal permit is a revenue generator. Training. BASIC training. Things that were common sense to me at 5 years old... Cost how much in other states that require "training"?

When you take a defensive course from the likes of Clint Smith or James Yeager etc. Then you can brag about training. Served in the military? Then you can brag about training.

Following a states or federal guidelines on BASICS is not worth bragging about. Just shows you'd rather live in an area that views rights as taxable privileges. Vermont and Missouri have it right with constitutional carry.
Before we got it right in Missouri, I paid $65 to sit in a classroom for 3 hours "learning" how a gun works and 5 minutes on the range to get a CCW. And I am a Vietnam veteran. An 85 year old woman who had never fired a gun before was in the same class and passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 03:24 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,399 times
For my CC I got my picture taken, the cop lady did a boop-de-boop in the computer, and I walked out with my permit card five minutes later.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:33 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Ill debate that.

I disagree with having to pay more for a joke of a qualification to have the right to travel through the states while carrying. Can use that money on ammo or invest in private, real training, that supersedes a silly low bar but over priced standard. And if the government gets involved It isn't for the good of the people. Its for Uncle Sams wallet.

I absolutely disagree.

Its like bumping into people at the range from Illinois that go on about how much better their states qualifications are. No. That's justification on spending more and getting very little for "training"
Its exactly the same as bragging about how much someone spent on a car a house etc.

It shows you have more money than brains...

Plus you set something in stone that can be striked through at a later date when a democrat gets their way. So no.

The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A federal permit is a revenue generator. Training. BASIC training. Things that were common sense to me at 5 years old... Cost how much in other states that require "training"?

When you take a defensive course from the likes of Clint Smith or James Yeager etc. Then you can brag about training. Served in the military? Then you can brag about training.

Following a states or federal guidelines on BASICS is not worth bragging about. Just shows you'd rather live in an area that views rights as taxable privileges. Vermont and Missouri have it right with constitutional carry.
Well Then. First off I have no problem paying for the paperwork, and finger printing the State charges. I also have no problem with someone paying a fee to those that teach a person the basics when it comes to carrying a firearm. In Texas the fees are not all that much and they lowered those recently. But yes I am against uncle Same or the State making a profit from the process.

Ever think that their training might be better than what is given in yours? Maybe they have a point, and it is their money, isn't it.

Then make the law so that it cannot be rewritten for a set number of years, how about every 50 years and no sooner.

My training? I was 11B (that is Infantry to the nonmilitary here), I was both Mechanized Inf and Airborne, I was also a Infantry Unit Armorer meaning I maintained all the weapons, ran firing ranges, and taught small arms tactics. As civilian I have worked as a gunsmith and a private firearms instructor. I own nearly 2 dozen fire arms, several being semi autos in 5.56mm and .308 cal, along with a wide range of other firearms, and I shoot at least twice a week on a range on my own property. I know the laws when it comes to firearms use and carry in my State of Texas, and have a good relationship with the local Sheriffs Dept. and it's officers. So I guess you can say I have some qualifications when it comes to firearms.

I have no problem with how other states handle firearms, at least those that are not violating the 2nd A. But the idea that we cannot come up with one set of laws for all Americans is ludicrous, why should I have to learn every states laws since the 2nd A ensures my right to bear arms. While I know they suspect that would end up with us adopting something along the lines of Cal or NY I would remind you that the majority of Congress is made up of Conservatives and even many Dems are not anti-2nd A and if a good law can be passed I doubt you would have any issue with the final result.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:28 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Well Then. First off I have no problem paying for the paperwork, and finger printing the State charges. I also have no problem with someone paying a fee to those that teach a person the basics when it comes to carrying a firearm. In Texas the fees are not all that much and they lowered those recently. But yes I am against uncle Same or the State making a profit from the process.

Ever think that their training might be better than what is given in yours? Maybe they have a point, and it is their money, isn't it.

Then make the law so that it cannot be rewritten for a set number of years, how about every 50 years and no sooner.

My training? I was 11B (that is Infantry to the nonmilitary here), I was both Mechanized Inf and Airborne, I was also a Infantry Unit Armorer meaning I maintained all the weapons, ran firing ranges, and taught small arms tactics. As civilian I have worked as a gunsmith and a private firearms instructor. I own nearly 2 dozen fire arms, several being semi autos in 5.56mm and .308 cal, along with a wide range of other firearms, and I shoot at least twice a week on a range on my own property. I know the laws when it comes to firearms use and carry in my State of Texas, and have a good relationship with the local Sheriffs Dept. and it's officers. So I guess you can say I have some qualifications when it comes to firearms.

I have no problem with how other states handle firearms, at least those that are not violating the 2nd A. But the idea that we cannot come up with one set of laws for all Americans is ludicrous, why should I have to learn every states laws since the 2nd A ensures my right to bear arms. While I know they suspect that would end up with us adopting something along the lines of Cal or NY I would remind you that the majority of Congress is made up of Conservatives and even many Dems are not anti-2nd A and if a good law can be passed I doubt you would have any issue with the final result.
This wasn't meant for a Willy measuring contest in regards of training. Nor a dig at you. You aren't Illinois NY MA CT...
Where was the jab at you to take it as such?

The courses that I speak of, think NY MA CT or Illinois.

So no their training isn't superior than mine nor yours.
If those courses were comprised of your training and mine then it's justified.

Try getting a pistol permit in NY state to see what I mean in regards of training and cost. Even the hunter safety course is overkill in NY.

Both courses can be condensed significantly. Both can be a whole lot cheaper. And both if focused on training would run a few drills and lay down a decent round count in varying conditions. They would work more towards fundamentals not rambling on about common sense things like how to secure it, how to make sure you don't wind up with a Darwin parenting award so on so forth.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:30 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
This bill is deceased right?

Old 12-30-2017, 04:35 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Nope

Old 12-30-2017, 06:58 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't think this one isn't going away unless the Democrats take the House or Senate. Going to be interesting to see how Democrats stick their necks out to vote against it.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:56 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't think this one isn't going away unless the Democrats take the House or Senate. Going to be interesting to see how Democrats stick their necks out to vote against it.
I don't see this getting through the senate, I don't see voting against this as a high risk for democrats or republicans.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:00 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What if we don't want your guns in our state? We've had mass shootings in my state, shootings of innocent school children. We have rights too. Our cities and towns are safe except for the mentally ill who need treatment and shouldn't be allowed to have guns.

Keep your guns out in the wild and woolly west, not in our small towns or our cities. Don't bring your guns near our schools or churches.

Where are our rights to feel safe and be free of those who walk the streets armed with guns?
First off California has the most mass shootings in tge United States despite being one of if not the strictest gun law state. Secondly, we're talking about tge Bill of Rights which protects rights to all citizens. California doesn't have the right to define what is allowed for free speech, the right to be innocent until proven guilty, etc. If you don't want citizens of your state to have guns then either secede from the union or have the Constitution amended so states can make up their own rules.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:05 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Republicans believe in State's Rights until they don't. While abortion is legal, they put up endless state laws to restrict it but once they control all three branches of government, they immediately work to override state laws when it's something they want like guns everywhere.
As stated before, states' rights only cover things NOT covered in the bill of rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies