Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:15 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

[quote=phma;50335399]
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

It would be pointless to argue with a self admitted idiot. But it can't hurt to point out where they are wrong.

I can say you are closer to what you want to see than you may know. Your comment was the source of greater enjoyment today. Thank you.
Well, presumably you are an American also, so fall under the same general category I mentioned.

But the main thing here is.....you really don't see the full time video games, netflix, sports, opiates, sexual entertainment (diapers/mens rooms, etc.)........as "pleasure seeking" behavior which we now have more time and money for - and more access to?

I mean - even 100 years ago most people didn't live like Kings....as many Americans do today. They worked for most every waking hour. Sure, some do today also....there were exceptions (the Romans)..but for most, life was miserable.

But my point is - never in history were there 100's of millions or a billion plus people whose main "job" was "seeking pleasure" - whether from travel, dining, TV, video games, computer forums or whatever.

The least you could do.....would be to negate this point if you feel it's not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 11:16 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Basically you can dismiss most liberal claims... they don't even make sense...

Yeah, believe the cons who fed us such BS like the Iraq War would be a cakewalk and we'd be welcomed as liberators. Seems to be lots of powerful Kool-Aid out their in Trumplandia.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:18 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Multiple sources have reported on Trump's lies and shaky business practices for 35+ years yet people still believe him, I guess they're not the smart ones.
I lived in and near Atlantic City when it was all happening. I know people 2nd hand who witnessed much of it.
It was celebrated back then...the more coke you sniffed and $$$ you threw around, the more people thought you were the cat's meow.

I could tell you stories of related deaths (suicides, depressions) and of stiffed contractors and of what his great work in Atlantic City has left us with today. But it wouldn't matter.

As the "really smart" people agree, Trump could walk out on the street and kill someone in broad daylight and nothing would happen. Nothing. His finger slipped. It happens.

I heard a woman on the radio yesterday defend every point of Roy Moore. No matter what she was presented with she said "I give him the benefit of the doubt".

This is why I say people are idiots. The woman really believed the DA who attended her high school graduation didn't have any idea of her age in the years before.

Even if she "bought" all the sex stuff (and they say this is more accepted in the south...for what reason, I don't know), he broke the law and the constitution many times with his skits and I think was thrown out of office.

I mean...what does it take for basic common sense to prevail?

Old 12-07-2017, 11:40 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
I live by the following formula:

If it feels good to believe X, then X is true.

If it feels bad to believe X, then X is false.

I’m an evangelical Christian, Rush Limbaugh fan, and a big time Trump supporter.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:51 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Our politics and media are so far gone that there are not even objective facts that the ideological opposites can agree on.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:52 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
If the majority of American's would TRY to find the middle ground in their search for the truth of things, I'd think that their first clue would be to note whether their reading includes a fair amount of criticism of BOTH political parties, coupled with an acceptance of both the classical liberal and conservative principles which has always been the foundation for American political discourse. Reading only the words of extreme left or right thinkers serves to isolate oneself from all of the available facts. On a personal level I can't stand Clinton or Trump, smarmy types who are only furthering the notion of politics as a bastion of the deceitful.

I've been reading Counterpunch for a few years and like the idea of it's opposing both of the last presidential candidates, oh yeah, I know we are supposed to be taking sides here, and tossing about our best insults at both Trump and Clinton, but, what a waste of energy when we can just as easily see the sleaze factor in BOTH of those people. You know things are getting bad when we are arguing over who is the biggest fool, the biggest crook, or worse, joining the loud circus chorus of "lock em up" types who tend to get the bulk of unwarranted press time. Only a moderate citizenry can demand a moderate presidency, a thinking congress, and a fair supreme court. Lacking that moderate view, we will have the extremist's taking over our democracy..

Old 12-07-2017, 12:05 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Team Red believes Team Red.

Team Blue believes Team Blue.

The responses in this thread verify this hypothesis.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:09 PM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
How can we believe the media, the Left, the Right, polling or news?
But you nearly always side with Trump and RW sources so it's clear you believe at least them.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:11 PM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Only a moderate citizenry can demand a moderate presidency, a thinking congress, and a fair supreme court. Lacking that moderate view, we will have the extremist's taking over our democracy..
I've asked before but have never gotten a response...what is a "moderate" view and what does it mean to be "moderate"?

Old 12-07-2017, 12:15 PM

26,569 posts, read 14,444,771 times
i let facts dictate what opinions i accept, not vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies