Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 02:18 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,281,298 times

Advertisements

If it is a trend it is unfortunate, but only because the dependent class - whoever they are - will never know the thrill of being self sufficient.

Independence and self sufficiency where thrust upon me by circumstances, but I sure would trade what I have learned for anything. I love being the feeling of being self sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 02:33 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Most people- old as well as young- buy their computers online or from a store. Why the hell would anyone build one unless that is their hobby?
Because I got tired of all the crapware in a new computer, and I was really tired of my desktop going bad and being told, "Well we don't really fix those because the motherboard is proprietary" or some such rot.

So, this old guy (age 72) bought a case, bought his own copy of Win7, and then figured out all the other stuff to buy and built his own. That was 2 years ago and it works without a problem.

I was a certified mechanic a long time ago, so cars are not a problem for me.

I think everyone should try to solve the problem for themselves, first. But sometimes I - even I - have to call someone to help.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:36 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
It is hard for me to judge whether this is a trend or not. My husband is an auto mechanic so he obviously does everything car related for both of us.

When I was in my teens, I remember my grandfather teaching me how to change a tire, but I think that was the only time I actually did it. Since moving to the U.S and prior to meeting my husband, I would call AAA.

Once, I got a flat one evening and pulled off the interstate into a not so great area of town. I was going to call AAA but a group of guys who appeared to be in their teens came over and had the spare on for me within minutes. I offered them some money for their trouble but they declined. From that experience, I can genuinely say that not all teen guys are helpless when it comes to changing a tire.

It is likely our children will be car savvy (hopefully), considering their dad's profession.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:36 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Because I got tired of all the crapware in a new computer, and I was really tired of my desktop going bad and being told, "Well we don't really fix those because the motherboard is proprietary" or some such rot.

So, this old guy (age 72) bought a case, bought his own copy of Win7, and then figured out all the other stuff to buy and built his own. That was 2 years ago and it works without a problem.

I was a certified mechanic a long time ago, so cars are not a problem for me.

I think everyone should try to solve the problem for themselves, first. But sometimes I - even I - have to call someone to help.

Fine, but I do not see what that has do with age.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:39 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I'm constantly amazed by the lack of skills seen in many young people ... from cooking, to basic automotive and home maintenance, to even fairly simple administrative tasks like shopping around for car insurance, etc. That L-M commercial annoys me because it's just so ... sad.
Whose fault is it that they don't know?

Yes, I'm defending millennials again and shifting at least some of the blame to the parents.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:42 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post

Yes, I'm defending millennials again and shifting at least some of the blame to the parents.
Seems to me they could ... you know... <wait for it!> ... LOOK IT UP IN THE INTERNET.

Lots of instructions and videos on how to change a tire.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:45 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post

You can blame lack of instruction on parents ... up to a certain point. There are plenty of full-grown late-twenties and early-thirties adults out there who haven't progressed even a decade into their independence, however.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Nope spot on. I even see people walking bicycles with flats because they don't know how to change a simple flat tire.

Spare tire? What's that? Most people don't even know how to check the oil in their cars now.
Depending on how far I was from my house, I might carry a bike with a flat tire too. I'd much rather fix my bicycle in my garage with my tools than have to deal with the little kit that I carry around. I wouldn't carry a bike more than a couple of blocks though.

I change my own tires, though it's been a long time since I had to actually change a tire. I can also wash my own car, thank you!

Old 12-07-2017, 02:47 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
At my old house, I had a neighbor that moved from Pittsburgh whose son had to have his dad come rescue him one night because of a flat tire. It wasn’t that there was no spare, it’s just that this 17-year-old didn’t know how to change a tire nor the interest to figure it out.

I thought it a bit weird, but nothing more.

I have been seeing this commercial lately, and I started wondering if it was that unusual.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Rkahsi7c8

So, I’m at the grocery store yesterday, and when I came out, a tow truck had me blocked just enough that I couldn’t get my truck out. The tow guy was changing a tire on an old woman’s car. I was in no hurry, so I waited patiently. As I waited, it made me think about the commercial, so I asked the tow truck driver how often he takes care of tire changes for men. He told me it was pretty rare 15 years ago outside a stripped lug or missing jack. He said he said now days he is changing tires for young males very often, he does AAA service. He said they will wait an hour or so for him to arrive instead of doing it themselves and instead of watching they play on their phones.

I can’t believe we are raising a generation of dependents who are so reliant on other people taking care of them.

I’m beginning to understand why the idea of a nanny state is gaining such support.

It’s rare to see kids mowing yards or washing cars; and we’ve become a disposable society that doesn’t fix things but just replaces them. Most of the parents in my Cub Scout troop buy the adhesive stickies to affix patches. Right now I hand sew them on, and next year I’ll teach my son to do so once his dexterity improves.

Is it just me or do others notice this? If so, is it concerning to you at all?
Is see it every day, and sadly yes this is becoming the new norm.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:48 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Seems to me they could ... you know... <wait for it!> ... LOOK IT UP IN THE INTERNET.

Lots of instructions and videos on how to change a tire.
I YouTube anything and everything I need to put together or fix that I'm not familiar with. There's a video for everything out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies