Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 12:44 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I thought the greatest period in our country's history was the 1950s? We didn't have slavery then, but we did have Jim Crow.
Valid point. The 1950s are often romanticized by today's pop culture, yet Jim Crow was well entrenched back then...

I think that many folks romanticize the colonial times and many will say that was a great time in our country's history yet slavery existed.

I find myself thinking about how wonderful it must have in the Wild West prior to that territory being settled despite the obvious hardships and dangers that were found around every corner.

Every ERA of American History has its good and bad points... The Antebellum South is romanticized quite a bit in the South but that doesn't mean those who romanticize it are some how in favor of slavery... Thats just twisting crap to suit your own agenda..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 12:49 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
A health dose of skepticism tends to balance things out in your favor, just takes some adjusting on your part. My wife went through the same dilemma and was forced to adjust her attitude somewhat so that she could see the world and people for what it really is and not what she wanted it to be. Yes, it can be depressing but at the same time seeing the truth is always preferable to blindness.
Oh, I know, and I'm not altogether blind to what people are. I will admit, though, that I am still holding out hope for the people of Alabama to reject this creep.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:02 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
LOL @ the people in here trying the "that's not what he actually said" stance. Even his actual attempt at saying black families were in tact is still kind of false because slaves' family members were sold off all the time. We'll never have a full blown conversation about what actually happened to black people in America. How can we expect to ever be "post-racial"?

Old 12-08-2017, 01:06 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Here is what Moore said, in answer to the question:
"I think it was great at the time when families were united—even though we had slavery—they cared for one another…Our families were strong, our country had a direction."

He did not say, nor did he even suggest that we were great because we had slavery.

This is how you Leftists always twist the meaning of anything any conservative says. You have no shame!

Thank you for finding the truth in this. Next?

Old 12-08-2017, 01:07 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Just think most of these conservatives are supposedly religious people. Lots of hypocrites out there in the religious community.
Actually many believe protecting the life of the unborn is more important than whatever transgressions Moore is guilty of.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:32 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Here is one example of him saying a slave owner should be admired:

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.g...%3fid=19531253
Pete...

Please stop squirming.

You're better than that.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:35 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Here is one example of him saying a slave owner should be admired:

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.g...%3fid=19531253
Quote:
"George Washington is admired because after two terms he said enough, I'm going back to being a citizen. There were no term limits, but he said I'm a citizen. I served my time. And it's time for the next person, because that's what democracy is about. And Mandela similarly was able to recognize that, despite how revered he was, that part of this transition process was greater than one person."
oh yeah, that's sooo relevant to this thread!

Old 12-08-2017, 01:39 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm not going to assume to know.
here, i'll help you to know.

1776 to 1865

of course, there was slavery here before 1776, but that was before we officially became an independent country.

now you know!

Old 12-08-2017, 02:08 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
here, i'll help you to know.

1776 to 1865

of course, there was slavery here before 1776, but that was before we officially became an independent country.

now you know!
Thanks but that doesn't specifically support that particular comment was referencing an actual time period that he thought was great. If you have any information thats actually helpful let me know.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:52 PM

46,952 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Here is what Moore said, in answer to the question:
"I think it was great at the time when families were unitedeven though we had slavery—they cared for one another…Our families were strong, our country had a direction."

He did not say, nor did he even suggest that we were great because we had slavery.
Not "because". "When".

What he actually said was that the country was great, even though there was this little issue with black people being livestock. Which he, magnanimously, is willing to overlook in the name of family unity and "direction". (The direction was right into the open maw of an incredibly bloody civil war, but hey - still counts as a direction, right?)

Anyway, what happened is pretty obvious: He got befuddled by being asked by a person with more melanin than he's used to see, and thought he'd better work slavery into his answer. (Always a winner with, y'know, those folks.) He was just not bright enough to do so without shooting himself in both feet and not realizing why he'd just said something both stupid and offensive. Doddering old fool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies