Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 06:52 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well that still happens today, human trafficking and the buying/ selling of sex slaves is a huge industry, only difference is, it happens more in secret and over the internet today instead of the town square,
really, that's the only difference?!

how about the fact that slavery is a crime today, but wasn't a crime then?

sheesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 06:54 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The funny thing is that it is the Left (they weren't referred to as "Leftists" back then) that was for slavery, and wanted it to be up to the States to decide. Now they use the slavery issue to bludgeon Republicans, who fought to end slavery!
Where each party was 150 years ago is irrelevant. The GOP is now the party of racists, child molesters, and pu$$y grabbers. Own it or change it.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:56 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb Moore: the last time this country was great was when we had slavery

With Moore, it's not only the child molesting.

And it's not even that coupled with his truly stupid, racist remarks on America being "better" during the slavery era.

In the America vs Russia sphere, he defends Russia's position.

“You could say that about America, couldn’t you?” he said. “We promote a lot of bad things.” Asked for an example, he replied: “Same-sex marriage.”

When it was pointed out to Moore that his arguments on gay rights and morality were the same as those of the Russian leader, he replied: “Well, maybe Putin is right.” He added: “Maybe he’s more akin to me than I know.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...r-putin-russia

Careful, Alabama.

Electing an anti-American to the senate is clearly not good form.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:57 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Roy Moore: Last Time America Was 'Great' Was During 'Slavery'

Answering a question asked of him by an African American. The GOP must be so proud.

I wonder if that's the time trump thinks of as America last being great was also. I've tried asking that question on this forum of trump voters - when was America last great? - but can never get a straight answer.

That quote from Moore, will gain him more votes in Alabama. You're helping him get elected, by bringing it up.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:57 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Conservative Alabamians don't care because they feel the same way!
Precisely. I would imagine most conservatives in Alabama that still support Roy Moore would prefer to go back to the 50s when most Americans were christian, blacks had to enter through the back door, and Mexicans and Muslims weren't really a part of society yet.

You know, the "good ol' days..."

Old 12-08-2017, 06:58 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I sure he romanticizes about the part of slavery where a "respectable man" could go to the town square and buy a 15 year old girl to take home.
This is such a despicable comment there aren't enough words to condemn it properly. You should be ashamed.

Let me remind me of someone you admire: Bill Clinton. Whatever Roy Moore has done (and we don't know that any of the allegations are true) doesn't even come close to your hero, Bill Clinton. And now we have many more Democrats that have been exposed in recent weeks. You're Party is just disgusting. You cover for criminals and exonerate them before an investigation is complete, and you defend perverts in your own Party, while publicly smearing a Republican candidate who has been accused, probably falsely, for partisan reasons.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:58 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
When Ol’ Roy is elected, the GOP can expect comments like this one to continue. He can’t help it. It may play in Alabama, but the D’s and the press will take his comments and make them synonymous with the party nationally.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:00 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
25% of Alabama is AA.

I have to hope that reason will prevail and this guy is kept out of the Senate. Even before the victims spoke out, this guy had a disturbing history. Anti-gay, anti-Muslim, and removed from the bench twice. The last is ironic considering how often the trumpies cite Sharia law - this guy put his own religious beliefs above the law as a judge. But that's OK because he's a "Christian"?

Old 12-08-2017, 07:02 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Welfare is common day slavery. Bought by the leftist original slave holder government for a vote..
No, the prison industrial complex is modern day slavery. Bought and paid for by the American Right.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:04 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
He was referring to a period in our history---not specifically about slavery. I missed the part where he was telling an African American about this.

Can't convince you, but most people don't wake up every morning and think about slavery. Growing up, I never had slaves, but it's still going on in East Africa and regions of the Middle East.

How about redirecting your anger toward something that's actually happening now, instead of harping about the White boogeyman.
you realize Moore brought up slavery? Actually.. I don't think you do, you just jumped in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies