Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 06:36 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,638,621 times

Advertisements

Naturally, if people don't believe like I do, they are stupid. There can't possibly be any other reason.

What we need to do is use force until everyone who is different is punished until they conform and we have punished the stupid out of them.

That's called diversity and tolerance.

If we can just fork over individual rights and join the collective we will have more freedom.

Is there insurance we can buy, to protect us, from what some think is not only good for them, but good for all ?

Satire ?

Last edited by phma; 12-08-2017 at 06:47 AM..

Old 12-08-2017, 06:36 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTerp94 View Post
Also, before I am being accused of being stupid for misspelling "people," yes I am aware I made a typo.
Massachusetts. Home of some of the greatest rules and regulations in America!

Old 12-08-2017, 06:37 AM

30,393 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Just go bare like i do. No fuss muss.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:41 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,291,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Let me help you out. Insurance is a pool of people that voluntarily pay their premiums based on an amount prescribed by actuaries. The market sets the rates. Easy.

What you want is a pool of people that are forced by law to pay not only for their needs but the needs of societal parasites.
Not so good.
...and what you seem to want is a system where people are forced to pay unpaid medical bills for those who 'choose' not to pay for insurance.

Argue all you want:
1. It gets paid one way or another, and
2. It is proven again and again that healthcare costs GO DOWN when people have access to healthcare. Our system in the USA is bad. ACA is neither to blame, nor is it a cure-all.

And to people who say that healthy people should be allowed to join a lower risk-pool, that's just crazy. Basically, if you took that concept and followed it out to completion, you'd be back where there is no insurance, and people just pay (or don't/can't pay) when they get sick. If you follow the logic completely, you'd have 340 million "pools" of one person...

Old 12-08-2017, 06:43 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times
Quote:
What you want is a pool of people that are forced by law to pay not only for their needs but the needs of societal parasites.
Do you consider people who are born with problems to be "societal parasites"? I'm totally with you on not wanting to pay for the raging alcoholic who needs a new liver, or the guy who chooses to eat nothing but junk food and develops diabetes as a result, but I think we need to be careful not to sound like complete d*cks as there are some people who genuinely need help for things that are out of their control.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:47 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,294,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
OP you must get cheap insurance paid by someone else. Mine costs has gone up 150% since Democrats passed that huge tax bill called Obamacare.
Perhaps you would like to go out and get yours on the private insurance market, then. No one is stopping you. I'm sure you could find something cheaper.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:48 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
...and what you seem to want is a system where people are forced to pay unpaid medical bills for those who 'choose' not to pay for insurance.

Argue all you want:
1. It gets paid one way or another, and
2. It is proven again and again that healthcare costs GO DOWN when people have access to healthcare. Our system in the USA is bad. ACA is neither to blame, nor is it a cure-all.

And to people who say that healthy people should be allowed to join a lower risk-pool, that's just crazy. Basically, if you took that concept and followed it out to completion, you'd be back where there is no insurance, and people just pay (or don't/can't pay) when they get sick. If you follow the logic completely, you'd have 340 million "pools" of one person...
Well then, I guess those that seem to think that services should be free, will have to be retrained. There should be a cutoff date where the leeche's freebies end. They will learn the hard way. No tickee, no laundry!
If I don't have a lot of accident claims, my insurance should be less than someone that can't control their driving. Easy.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:51 AM

29,433 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Two things about insurance:

1 - You are betting with the insurance company (your bookie) that a specific event WILL happen to you - a car accident, sickness, death, home disaster (flood, fire, earthquake, tornado, etc..) and the insurance company is taking that action, betting the event won't happen. If any of those misfortunes happen to you, you win, sort of. If nothing happens to you, you loose your money (but still have peace of mind).

2 - You are paying to assist with other people's misfortune (with no return to you) who are also betting against themselves in the same pool, provided that nothing you bet against happening to you does not occur. (the OP's point)

The difference being, everyone ...key word there, everyone is paying and making that same bet.

I'm fine with that. What I have a problem with is paying into something and others can reap the same benefits of it as I do , without paying a cent in.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:54 AM

29,433 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Perhaps you would like to go out and get yours on the private insurance market, then. No one is stopping you. I'm sure you could find something cheaper.

That is what we had to do. The ACA was a joke for us, I think the premium was going to be something like $1500 a month, we shopped around and got some for $780 a month. Just this week we called them to see what we can do to lower it and was told after the 1st of the year it was going to jump up to $980. I've had two hospital stays in the last couple of years , I'm assuming that is why. We ended up making some changes and got it down to $640.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:57 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Another example of just how pitiful we've become. So willing to point out the faults of others while making excuses for our own.
Do we have to accept that people are perfect and when we see a common mistake ridicule them so we feel superior ? That in itself is the greater flaw and needless distraction. IMO
Blame the internet, exposing us to petty clowns.

IRL I don't come across people who ridicule others to make themselves feel important. Over grammar and spelling.

I just did it recently myself BECAUSE I was trying to get a point across to a moron who said I was stupid. He seserved it. Otherwise I ignore it. I make errors myself, in a hurry and my grammer check doesn't work on here.

We all know the game, its just a distraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies