Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2017, 08:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
What does this even have to do with politics.
OP is offended because someone on FB is offended.

Only thing any of us really control is our own reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 08:43 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I don't know a single sane person who equates "you look tired" to looking fat,old,skinny or any other comment other than tired but evidently there're people who CONFLATE an innocent comment into the outrage of the day.

Looking for trouble where none exists in order to join the #metoo crowd or the army of the perpetually offended is my guess.
Lol I have no idea what this means but I totally admit "you look tired" from a TOTAL stranger in my world is not "innocent.

I'm not turning it into outrage but I'm not afraid to point out rude boorish behavior. If you are a waiter your place is not to comment on my"looks". ONCE again do you go around comment on perfect strangers looks?

Old 12-09-2017, 08:45 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The new left really is something else. Just got through reading a social media post from a law school classmate who now lives overseas in Europe. She was highly upset because, while tired with the kids out and about at a cafe, a male cafe worker remarked that she "looked tired." Apparently, this was taken to be "remarking on [her] body" and was highly offensive and sexist She made a follow-on comment that her husband would never receive such a comment if he was out with the kids and looked tired and even acknowledged that the cafe worker's tone was one of concern.

While I hope most sane people will see the lunacy in this woman's reaction, sadly her reaction is symptomatic of how many on the left feel and think today; her post was "liked" by numerous fellow leftists. When it comes to the point where you as a male cannot make a comment as simple and harmless as "you look tired" to someone who does look tired without being accused of sexism and body shaming, we've officially fallen off the deep end.

As I've mentioned before, I have no problem with the leftists and liberals of the old days. This new breed of constantly offended, Social Justice Warriors, however, are beyond redemption.
I bet she'd still complain if the poor guy told her she looked beautiful.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:48 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most PEOPLE don't appreciate critical remarks about their appearance.
What if somebody looked sick, not allowed to ask, "Are you okay? Do you need help?"

You look tired can be a voice of concern, doesn't automatically mean "you need botox or filler" lol

Kids can look tired, very young women can look tired, very young men can look tired, very beautiful people can look tired, athletes can look tired. "You look tired" does not mean there is something wrong with her appearance.

People should not be punished for somebody else's insecurities. Sorry. "You look pale, are you okay? Not allowed to say that? "You look tired, are you feeling okay?" Not allowed to say that? WOW.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 12-09-2017 at 08:57 AM..

Old 12-09-2017, 09:17 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
What if somebody looked sick, not allowed to ask, "Are you okay? Do you need help?"

You look tired can be a voice of concern, doesn't automatically mean "you need botox or filler" lol
So i thinkI were extrapolating a bit. Now your right we don't know the conversation but generally I can tell the difference between someone in distress and someone just beat.
So op said this was in a European cafe so one can assume the lady was sitting there waiting for the waiters

Old 12-09-2017, 09:29 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
In my experience, yes, she is, which is a damn shame.
News flash - your 'experience' doesn't extrapolate to the entire country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
What does this even have to do with politics.
Nothing.

When my good friends tell me I look tired ~ I just laugh and say ~ why don't you just tell me I look like crap? Then they laugh cause they know it's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
OP is offended because someone on FB is offended.

Only thing any of us really control is our own reaction.
I'd say this sums up the entire thread.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:09 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
So, you're writing off 50+% of the population because you're afraid you can't keep the conversation appropriate?

Wow, what a sadly limited POV...
There is no standard for what is appropriate anymore. If you compliment a woman on her new haircut, that might be sexual harassment. If you ask how her kids are doing, that might be inappropriate. If you ask what her weekend plans are, that might mean you have nefarious intentions. What is completely safe to talk about? Who wants to talk about something that bland anyway.

I realize that there have been in countless incidents of men treating women badly, but the remedy has harmed the ability to have platonic relationships with unrelated women. Men have to spend more time worrying about what not to say when speaking with a women than having an organic conversation.

For the most part men aren't as uptight, they have a sense of humor and they generally aren't looking for reasons to be offended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
I can think of several upsides. You do what you gotta do, I will keep talking...
I'm married. THAT upside is no longer relevant to me.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:16 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
The new left really is something else. Just got through reading a social media post from a law school classmate who now lives overseas in Europe. She was highly upset because, while tired with the kids out and about at a cafe, a male cafe worker remarked that she "looked tired." Apparently, this was taken to be "remarking on [her] body" and was highly offensive and sexist She made a follow-on comment that her husband would never receive such a comment if he was out with the kids and looked tired and even acknowledged that the cafe worker's tone was one of concern.

While I hope most sane people will see the lunacy in this woman's reaction, sadly her reaction is symptomatic of how many on the left feel and think today; her post was "liked" by numerous fellow leftists. When it comes to the point where you as a male cannot make a comment as simple and harmless as "you look tired" to someone who does look tired without being accused of sexism and body shaming, we've officially fallen off the deep end.

As I've mentioned before, I have no problem with the leftists and liberals of the old days. This new breed of constantly offended, Social Justice Warriors, however, are beyond redemption.
Pretty soon they'll be able to buy a robot that is programmed to tell them how wonderful they are and look 24/7.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:45 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol,

Oh please, you will turn anything into a political controversy. Telling a women she looks tired is pretty much saying she looks like hell and if the right is too stupid to recognize that than they deserve whatever said women says to them.

I would hope that a male server in a cafe would have better sense than to remark on a customers looks. if a cafe server told me I looked tired I'd tell him "f-you" when's the last time you looked in a mirror and wouldn't give him a damn dime.

So if the left it too sensitive the right is to stupid to understand social niceties. Food servers do not get to make rude comments
snowflakes consider a basic statement "rude"

Old 12-09-2017, 04:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I bet she'd still complain if the poor guy told her she looked beautiful.
That comment is certainly on one or more of the "ist" lists!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies