Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 08:42 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,598,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
In a perfect world, sure, but, as we have seen on BOTH sides during this past year, things are not always cut and dry and perfect. The news business is dog eat dog and fast paced, the program directors or news directors sometimes have to make a split second decision to go or not on something. Later on, more facts might come out that either support or disprove that story, but Moderator cut: profanityhappens.

But, as I said, I never see any Trumpees question Trump when he fabricates some whopper (out of thin air), and then he shrugs his shoulders , when caught in that lie, and then he gives some lame excuse. (Remember when he said he had people in Hawaii who found out stuff about Obama not being a citizen, and "Oh, boy, what they are telling me !" None of his supporters ever complained about that little myth of his, did they ?
Several points re the post above, and your previous post, in no particular order (and some might say that #1 and #2 are the same, and that the 3 are tied together, but I'll list them separately, and combine my comments).

1. Whataboutism.

2. Everything isn't 'Us vs. Them'. Everyone isn't either a Democrat or a Republican. Everyone isn't either a Trump voter or Hillary voter.

3. I can't tell if you read the link in the OP or not. You wrote in your previous post "Big deal, they reported something, it way have turned out to be not 100% accurate, and they had to retract". Why didn't CNN follow that advice of yours in the most straightforward manner possible? They are 'professional journalists'. You aren't a professional journalist. Rather than follow what you stated, CNN instead trotted someone out who gave a rationalized explanation of 'multiple sources'. Later, the ridiculousness of that 'multiple sources' explanation was pointed out, namely...'multiple sources innocently misread the date of the e-mail in the same way?'... (yeah right ). CNN had no answer for that criticism. Then had no answer because it was a ridiculous point to make.
CBS and MSNBC followed that they had also independently verified the CNN claim I noted above. These media outlets (all three) have yet to logically explain how such an implausible sequence of events (the events being innocent and separate, etc.) could possibly have happened.

-----

Points or actions by/made by others that you (don1945) or anyone else attempt to defend are either defensible, or they aren't. Whether the person disagreeing with you is a Trump supporter or not isn't relevant to the argument. It might be relevant to whether or not the person is a hypocrite, but it isn't relevant to the core argument. It is essentially a whataboutism. Additionally, you'd only be able to justify any legitimacy at all re calling the person a hypocrite IF you knew for certain that person is a Trump supporter. A person who isn't a Trump supporter might be just as critical of a point you make as a Trump supporter might be. I can imagine you being happy if everyone had to pick between one of the two major parties, and everyone had to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 08:44 AM

21,492 posts, read 10,607,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So says the BIASED website.
Yeah, biased towards the left. You must not know The Intercept very well. If he’s biased against anything, it’s the CIA and the Deep State. He’s a lefty conspiracy theorist, but he’s also right many times.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:47 AM

21,492 posts, read 10,607,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
I haven't trusted US media for years now. It's NOT news if you haven't gotten your facts straight....it's GOSSIP and RUMOR.
That is what the news organizations have turned into. They're right up there with the supermarket tabloids you see at the checkout.

Take their "news" with a grain of salt these days. And then go to foreign news sites to get your real news.
This is the result of media competition and the click bait mentality. They rush to be the first to report, and don’t spend enough time checking for accuracy. It wasn’t like this 25 years ago, though there was always bias. There just wasn’t the near decimation of the print journalism and having massive layoffs, and there weren’t as many cable news channels devoted to 24/7 news, nor were there all the blogs.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:48 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,589,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Here's a great article by Glenn Greewald about a media that's lost all honesty and credibility -

"Friday was one of the most embarrassing days for the U.S. media in quite a long time. The humiliation orgy was kicked off by CNN, with MSNBC and CBS close behind, with countless pundits, commentators and operatives joining the party throughout the day. By the end of the day, it was clear that several of the nation’s largest and most influential news outlets had spread an explosive but completely false news story to millions of people, while refusing to provide any explanation of how it happened"

https://theintercept.com/2017/12/09/...what-happened/

Unbelievable reading. The MSM and the left have been driven to new lows by the Trump presidency

Sure, sure, sure...

It's entertaining to see the full blown right wing deflector shields deployed and failing.

Let's see...

They're trying SO hard to discredit:

1. The FBI and other law enforcement

2. Robert Mueller

3. The free press

4. The Constitution

All of which goes to confirm that Russiagate is getting closer and closer to toppling their little Trumpling fantasies.

Go on, Pubs. Keep it up, RW media.

Keep supporting this guy and pretending like America doesn't notice.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:51 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,254,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Sure, sure, sure...

It's entertaining to see the full blown right wing deflector shields deployed and failing.

Let's see...

2. Robert Mueller

3. The free press

4. The Constitution

All of which goes to confirm that Russiagate is getting closer and closer to toppling their little Trumpling fantasies.

Meanwhile Russia is laughing its collective asses off over the rumpus they kicked up over a few places innuendos.

Comedy gold for them.

33,315 posts, read 12,598,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
LOL, it occurs hourly with trump. You're asking for trumpettes to admit their supreme leader is a liar,they won't do it ,no matter how many facts you show them.
Congratulations re renouncing your citizenship !!!!!

Did you consult with don1945 before doing so ?

I don't like Trump either. I didn't vote for him, and I'm not a Republican. I'm a natural born U.S. citizen who can trace his roots back to the Jamestown Settlement. Trump is the President/leader of my country whether I like it or not.

20,838 posts, read 17,140,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Sure, sure, sure...

Let's see...

2. Robert Mueller

3. The free press

4. The Constitution

This is called Denial. It is a self defense mechanism that protects the ego from many things including realizing that cherished beliefs are incorrect.

Go Trump.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:52 AM

20,187 posts, read 9,083,605 times
If I were President Trump I'd let the WaPo and CNN know they are welcome to continue to be part of the WH press corps but they will never again be afforded the opportunity to ask questions while he's President. Other networks that purposely lie will also be added to that list in the future.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:53 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,076,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
This is the result of media competition and the click bait mentality. They rush to be the first to report, and don’t spend enough time checking for accuracy. It wasn’t like this 25 years ago, though there was always bias. There just wasn’t the near decimation of the print journalism and having massive layoffs, and there weren’t as many cable news channels devoted to 24/7 news, nor were there all the blogs.
CNN said they had the email and it was dated 9/4.

Turns out they NEVER had the email and relied on 2 "sources" who both told them 9/4.

Reporting that you have an email when you don't is outright LYING and has nothing to do with checking for accuracy.

Whoever approved that explosive article to be made public should be fired because CNN had no copy of the email.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:56 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,731,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I assume you aren't including the MSM reporters in this "refreshing" assessment. formerly respected MSM news outlets become less and less concerned with "getting facts straight" before reporting them by the day.
News outlets have always made mistakes and always printed retractions, at least reputable ones. This idea that the media is singling out poor, honest President Trump is childish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies