Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 09:30 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times

Advertisements

The burden on the government is to explain why a substance should be illegal. Listing some circumstantial side effects like “it makes people lazy” isn’t sufficient when we’re imprisoning people for its sale and/or possession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 09:31 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Demonizing alcohol to prop up boring dull weed is like bashing ones head with a hammer to fend off a headache.

Smoking weed is a dullards attempt to seek a higher state of consciousness.
Excuse me? You have no clue.

I am a product of two alcoholics. Big time alcoholics. My family has a history of alcoholism that goes back to at least the 19th century. My mother died at 62 from alcoholism and chain smoking, my dad at 75. Children of two alcoholic parents have a 90% chance of becoming an alcoholic themselves.

I have successfully used cannabis to break that cycle. In fact, to this day my 38 year old daughter does not drink! I have successfully broken a centuries old family alcohol addiction, and I call that a MAJOR success story.

Contrast that with my brother. He is 71, and has been addicted to alcohol and nicotine all his life. I, on the other hand, have used no nicotine, little alcohol, and cannabis for 47 years. The difference in his health and mine is staggering. And there's more to the story than just the health aspects.

I am SO BLESSED to have found a plant that has helped me to avoid the fate of my parents, grandparents, and brother. The criminal part of this story, to me, are all the folks who believe that I should be in prison for using a plant to help me pull myself up by the bootstraps and make something out of my life.

So I can say this without reservation: You have no clue what you are talking about.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:37 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Most of us actually learned some things in school, particularly somewhere around 5th grade IIRC. First that we have 3 branches of government, with specific functions.

The legislative branch-whose function is to make laws.
The judicial branch-whose function is to interpret laws.
The executive branch-whose function is to enforce laws.

Marijuana is illegal at the federal level. THAT IS THE LAW.

Ask yourself-do you really want an executive branch that ignores the law, operates outside the law by deciding that they will just ignore certain crimes? That they will fail to do their job, as defined by the Constitution? That they will decide what is legal and what is not-the legislative branch be damned? We recently endured 8 years of an administration that chose to pick what laws to enforce. And what ones to ignore. In fact we had a near-de facto dictatorship under Obama.

The Trump administration is doing their job-enforcing the law. I think pot laws are stupid and it should be legalized. I believe Trump has voiced a similar concern. However, again, ignoring a law because it's stupid is not the function of the executive branch. I think most of our speed limits are stupid-should I just be able to ignore them with impunity? Or use the fact that they are stupid as a defense in court? How about DWI laws? I'm sure some regard them as stupid.

Don't like the EB enforcing the law? Blame the legislative branch for passing those laws. And pressure them to change them.

(sadly, it seems as if a great many posters really didn't learn anything in those tens of thousands of dollars of education the taxpayers spent on them)
The people of these states voted for this. That's why Obama eased enforcement of the feds to prosecute. So no I blame Sessions not the legislative branch. Sessions should have just left it alone. He will lose in the long term anyway.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:59 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Most of us actually learned some things in school, particularly somewhere around 5th grade IIRC. First that we have 3 branches of government, with specific functions.

The legislative branch-whose function is to make laws.
The judicial branch-whose function is to interpret laws.
The executive branch-whose function is to enforce laws.

Marijuana is illegal at the federal level. THAT IS THE LAW.

Ask yourself-do you really want an executive branch that ignores the law, operates outside the law by deciding that they will just ignore certain crimes? That they will fail to do their job, as defined by the Constitution? That they will decide what is legal and what is not-the legislative branch be damned? We recently endured 8 years of an administration that chose to pick what laws to enforce. And what ones to ignore. In fact we had a near-de facto dictatorship under Obama.

The Trump administration is doing their job-enforcing the law. I think pot laws are stupid and it should be legalized. I believe Trump has voiced a similar concern. However, again, ignoring a law because it's stupid is not the function of the executive branch. I think most of our speed limits are stupid-should I just be able to ignore them with impunity? Or use the fact that they are stupid as a defense in court? How about DWI laws? I'm sure some regard them as stupid.

Don't like the EB enforcing the law? Blame the legislative branch for passing those laws. And pressure them to change them.

(sadly, it seems as if a great many posters really didn't learn anything in those tens of thousands of dollars of education the taxpayers spent on them)

Actually, Toyman, the responsibility for choosing how to schedule individual drugs lies with the DEA, in the executive branch.

All the legislative branch does is create the Controlled Substances Act, enabling the DEA.

And the process for legalizing cannabis, under current law, is to go through the DEA, HHS, and FDA.

Congress can certainly legalize pot through legislation if it wants, but as it stands there's a process for the executive branch to do so as well.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:45 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I don't like your misleading attention-grabbing subject line.

Yes, the memos will be rescinded. But that doesn't mean "crack down". I believe Trump and/or his advisers knows how big of a hot potato this issue is and hopefully won't act recklessly. From the article your cited:
It IS a crack down, and the AG is a nutcase from Alabama with antiquated views on just about every issue.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:21 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Alcohol is not a problem for me.

As of today, I'm 14 years sober and I'm still not thirsty.

Alcohol is absolutely fine for 80% of y'all. Of the rest of the 20% of us remaining folks, half of us could quit or moderate if we really wanted to and the other half should do whatever is necessary to quit for good and all.

Demonizing alcohol to prop up boring dull weed is like bashing one's head with a hammer to fend off a headache.

Smoking weed is a dullard's attempt to seek a higher state of consciousness.

As to the medicinal aspects of the hippie lettuce, another topic for another thread.
So because you don't like it and have turned into an emotionally whiny person who thinks you are better than pot smokers nobody should be able to use it... Got it.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:24 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
In every one of these linked stories you could easily substitute alcohol for pot. In fact alcohol is much worse and has caused exponentially more damage.

I could link up 50 stories of people accidentally hunting themselves with guns and use it as a reason to ban them... Because you know its those republicans who say they believe in freedom and the risks that come with it and the liberals the ones who want to protect everyone from everything by banning this and that.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It IS a crack down, and the AG is a nutcase from Alabama with antiquated views on just about every issue.
Of course it is a crack down. First raids are only a matter of time. There is probably a group of feds strapping on the body armor as we speak.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:00 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
I was so happy to hear the Republican Senator from Colorado, Corey Gardner, say that he might block future DOJ votes to confirm nominees if Sessions does not back off. Sessions is going to do something that is exceedingly unpopular, that is to threaten the revenue stream on something that is working beautifully.

Even a lot of redneck Republicans are in favor of legalization, and this will only confirm how invasive and regressive Republicans have become in the eyes of younger Republicans.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:05 AM

1,285 posts, read 592,198 times
Quote:
Perhaps the better question is why congress didn't address this from 2010-2012, when Dems had a majority in both houses of congress and Mr. Choom Gang in the WH. Or for that matter why a bill to legalize it isn't being promoted right now.
Because no consensus existed to pass anything in 2010 and 2012.

Similiar to same sex marriage, peoples view of the issue evolved over time.
That change of view was being driven States ballot initiatives that clearly expressed their desire to legislate and regulate marijuana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies