Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 08:10 AM

487 posts, read 544,886 times

Advertisements

When people who have worked and sacrificed their whole lives and paid taxes throughout their whole lives need care as they age, they go into their pockets to get this care.....many times going through their life savings. That was the case with my mom. My parents lived frugal lives to save for the rainy day. After my dad passed and my mom eventually needed care, she paid for home health aides to help her, paid for ambulette services since she was unable to be transported without assistance, etc. She was Homebound and we had live-ins to take care of her and keep her safe. This went on for seven years and cost thousands of dollars every month. Needless to say, their life savings diminished to nothing.

We applied for Medicaid because my mom was left with very little after paying for her care. We did not expect handouts, we wanted to give her the best care she deserved. What I have a problem with is that the services she received under Medicaid far exceeded those she received under Medicare. She was given aides to take care of her, ambulette services, medical supplies for free.

What is wrong with this picture? People who work and sacrifice their whole lives end up dying penniless because they need to pay for care. Don’t misunderstand, I am all for helping those in need, however, there seems too be somewhat of an imbalance. They even can lose their homes if a nursing home is neeed. That is not the case with Medicaid. And now they are planning cuts to MEDICARE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 08:10 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Of course Ryan wants to cut Medicare and Social Security. Gotta pay for those tax breaks for billionaires some how.
And you want them to oversee your health care

Old 12-10-2017, 08:13 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Anyone not concerned about this quite frankly is an idiot. SS and Medicare is not a handout. We have paid into the system for a lifetime, to take it back later is reneging on a deal we had in place. And of course the campaign promise was totally different, how can that not matter to some of you?
Totally agree. We pay FICA all our working years for these retirement benefits.

Meanwhile the budget for the social welfare programs grows and grows.

It's like our government doesn't want people who can financially take care of themselves and would rather a nation financially dependent on welfare programs to exist.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:14 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Of course Ryan wants to cut Medicare and Social Security. Gotta pay for those tax breaks for billionaires some how.
Exactly. The "tax cut for billionaires" is Step 1.

Step 2 is cutting Medicare for hardworking people that paid into Medicare their entire career.

Step 3 is cutting our monthly Social Security check when we retire(by raising the age, which is a direct CUT).

The GOP's excuse for cutting our Medicare and Social Security will be that deep hole (not enough money) caused by the "tax cut for billionaires".

Trump will sign anything Ryan gives him, even if it cuts Medicare and Social Security for the hard working middle class people that voted for him.

A vote for anyone in the GOP is a vote to cut YOUR Social Security and Medicare that you paid for and are still paying for. They throw the welfare queen idea in front of you to distract you so they(GOP) can put their hand in your wallet and steal your hard earned money while you are distracted while looking at the welfare queen.

Last edited by sware2cod; 12-10-2017 at 09:39 AM..

Old 12-10-2017, 08:14 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,357,906 times
In 2016 about 138 million people voted. In 2020 about 50 million people will be over 65. Guess what?

Old 12-10-2017, 08:17 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,920,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Exactly. The "tax cut for billionaires" is Step 1. Step 2 is cutting Medicare for hardworking people that paid into Medicare their entire career. Step 3 is cutting our monthly Social Security check when we retire.

The GOP's "excuse" for cutting our Medicare and Social Security will be that deep hole (not enough money) cause by the "tax cut for billionaires".

Trump will sign anything Ryan gives him, even if it cuts Medicare and Social Security for the hard working middle class people that voted for him.

A vote for anyone in the GOP is a vote to cut Social Security and Medicare for hardworking middle class voters. They throw the welfare queen idea in front of you to distract you so they can put their hand in your wallet and steal your hard earned money while you are looking at the welfare queen.
Yep. And the idiots that voted for this will argue with you that this is in their best interest in the "long run", because surely the billionaire class will cough up a few pennies to keep them and their loved ones out of the ditch in their old age.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:19 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
And Trump, being the liar that he is, will support this, in spite of his promises not to touch either.
He will because he doesn't even know what he is signing half the time. The tax bill was not the policy he campaigned on but Ryan and McConnell will put it in front of him and he will sign it.

Same with cuts to medicare. DJT is obviously not running the show when it comes to policy. He doesn't have enough knowledge.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:23 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I'm OK with taxes, to a point.

But FICA and SS are MY money, entrusted to the federal government, to take care of ME when I am either no longer able to physically work or I have 'done my time' and contributed my fair share. It is MY money. Not the governments money to do what they want with. Its has a specific purpose, to take care of me. To threaten to take it to pay off the governments poor fiscal judgement is just not going to fly.
Unfortunately, SCOTUS disagrees with you.

Both Social Security and Medicare are old age insurance Plans. Congress can change these plans / benefits at any point in time. There are obvious political ramifications.

YOUR money was used to pay benefits to those who came before you. By law, surpluses are invested in special issue treasuries and become available to CONGRESS, to spend as they see fit to do, including the pork necessary to pass any bill beyond renaming a post office.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 12-10-2017 at 08:31 AM..

Old 12-10-2017, 08:25 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Lightbulb Paul Ryan wants to cut Medicare

Of course he does!

After all, it was Social Security survivor benefits that paid for his college, ensuring that unlike most Americans, he'd leave school debt free. I doubt he ever sent a thank you note to the US taxpayers for that favor.

But anything that's favorable to the vast majority of the public?

He'll oppose it. And press diligently against it. His record is clear on that point.

"What's good for me is too good for thee."

He works for the lobbyists and special interest groups that stuff his campaign piggy bank.

Don't ever expect this creep to "act in the national interest."

Old 12-10-2017, 08:31 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,461,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Maybe this is the one topic that deserves multiple threads because here is the Federal government threatening to take money from its citizens that is legally owned by the citizens. That is called theft.
All Federal taxes are theft, not just these. With any modern monetarily sovereign nation/system, central taxes are more for control of the people, business and economy. Because of central money creation. i.e. deficit spending.

So we continue to have these same debates on and on about cutting such and such a central benefit, while almost all assume a zero sum game, taxes vs benefits. The reality is quite different. There have to be some inflation or resource dependent limits somewhere, but when it comes to the well being, health and safety of our people, IMO we still need to stretch, and there is room.

If I were king FICA would have been eliminated after the 2008 crash. With no reduction in any future benefit. And since 2011 i would have reimbursed all middle class families 1/3 of their annual OOP HC expenses at the end of the year if they towed their medical line and did not overuse HC services.

That would be thousands of additional dollars in middle class families pockets, along with the added security of better and less worrisome HC coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies