Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2017, 04:30 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Not exactly the point you wish to make, I suspect...
Sure it is. America is not a uniform country. There are poor areas and there are wealthy areas and many places in between. Why should we expect all places to be equally wealthy? Some people have what it takes to create wealth while others don't. I don't expect equal outcomes for all. That would be stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
From the shining city on the hill to "at least we're better than Somalia".
People create their own conditions and many people in America would create conditions on par with Somalia if left to their own devices. Large segments of the population already receive a great deal of government benefits which has allowed them to have a higher quality of life than they could afford on their own. The UN critic is trying to make Americans feel ashamed that some people are poor. Disparities in wealth are a natural outcome of different abilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 04:39 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Laughable - being as it changes monthly and seasonally.
And comparing cities and states?

I'll let you pat yourself on the back knowing that MA had some of the lowest unemployment and recovered much quicker than most ALL Red States.

A place like NYC, BTW, has literally 100's of thousands working off the books....from food trucks to street vendors to bike delivery dudes (they will even deliver pot).
Actually, MA has a UE rate of 3.6% at 16th in the nation. Guess what-they are TIED with ALABAMA. You have so much to be proud about!

Oh, if you want to respond with facts rather than making yourself look silly, here is a source for UE data.

https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

Oh, you may not realize it but NY isn't the only place with roach coaches and delivery companies. If you expand your horizons, you'll learn that even those of us in smaller towns and cities have those things. We just don't have to pay $10 for a hotdog.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:39 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,472 times
Alabama also has some of the highest property ownership rates and high business ownership rates and lowest cost of living in the industrialized world. While California, with COL adjustments, has the highest poverty rate in the world.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:42 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
according to forbes article last year https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckde.../#254b96b212d9

As averaged from 2013 to 2015, California had America’s 17th-highest poverty rate, 15 percent, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. But, by a newer, more comprehensive Census accounting, California’s true poverty rate is an eye-popping 20.6 percent—the highest in the nation.

Because the Official Poverty Measure excludes the high cost of living on the coasts, it undercounts poverty in California and New York while exaggerating poverty throughout much of the South and Midwest. This leads to a gross misunderstanding of poverty, much of it willful, by those who advocate for higher taxes and more government spending.

Looks like the coasts should get their poverty rates in check before preaching to the south. when including cost of living, NY and California both have higher poverty rates than Alabama.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 12-10-2017 at 04:50 PM..

Old 12-10-2017, 04:46 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Who gives a damn what the UN thinks? I doubt you could say that if you compared Alabama to places like Cuba, or Venezuela. Even Mexico, I suspect has more poverty than AL.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:57 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
California is 1.3 trillion dollars in debt.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:59 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
*Sigh*. What, exactly, is it that I'm "wrong" about? You're proving my point for a THIRD time. You argue for the sake of arguing. Just so that you can somehow convince yourself you've "won."

Tell ya what: never mind, chuck. I must concede I can't possibly match your intellectual prowess.
Did you even attempt to look at what I posted. I posted the post numbers....

It's really not that hard.

Still, you have not answered my questions....figures....

Yes, have a great night...

Old 12-10-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Seriously, you truly believe that this all happened within the last year.

OMG!!!
Of course they do...

Old 12-10-2017, 05:02 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
We need to consider moving the palatial UN headquarters to a less impoverished country. Maybe Mali or Yemen. Then the UN diplomats coud function more comfortably, away from the depressing poverty of the US.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
according to forbes article last year https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckde.../#254b96b212d9

As averaged from 2013 to 2015, California had America’s 17th-highest poverty rate, 15 percent, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. But, by a newer, more comprehensive Census accounting, California’s true poverty rate is an eye-popping 20.6 percent—the highest in the nation.

Because the Official Poverty Measure excludes the high cost of living on the coasts, it undercounts poverty in California and New York while exaggerating poverty throughout much of the South and Midwest. This leads to a gross misunderstanding of poverty, much of it willful, by those who advocate for higher taxes and more government spending.

Looks like the coasts should get their poverty rates in check before preaching to the south. when including cost of living, NY and California both have higher poverty rates than Alabama.
Ohhhhh those pesky facts....

Just like Alabama has the highest "per 1000 worker" rate of Engineers, in the United States.

Back woods bastards....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies