Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 08:15 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
People in rural states absolutely do NOT want to sacrifice anything to have better roads. This was quite overwhelmingly proven in Oklahoma back when voters turned down a proposal to raise gas taxes by nearly 90%.
They sure wouldn't turn down federal help. They will take all the fed money they can get to fix their roads. You and I both know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 08:17 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Yep. Red state rule has proven to be a failure, objectively. But those on the far-right do not care. Their top priorities are "religion," guns, and keeping "those people in their place." Economic development, education, health-care, and everything else be damned.
That is so overwhelmingly true for Oklahoma. State Republicans leaders make it a priority to help rich people become even richer. Poor people can fend on their own, including begging for money in the streets.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Which is completely wrong. Anyone who would say Mississippi is poorer than Punjab, or that Alabama is the poorest place on earth, has an agenda and cannot be taken seriously. Get back to me when you see people squatting in the middle of a crowded street to go potty, which is a regular sight in some countries.
Conservatives say that is what goes on in San Francisco. But it isn't poor.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:27 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
That is so overwhelmingly true for Oklahoma. State Republicans leaders make it a priority to help rich people become even richer. Poor people can fend on their own, including begging for money in the streets.
Can you direct us to a specific law?

Old 12-11-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
They sure wouldn't turn down federal help. They will take all the fed money they can get to fix their roads. You and I both know that.
Yeah, federal help is the only reason Highway 33 in Oklahoma got expanded from 2 to 4 lanes from I-35 to Langston. From there old two lanes were rebuilt to Highway 177. You don't want to try to prove how bad Oklahoma highways are bad by driving there.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Can you direct us to a specific law?
Cutting the gross production tax on oil companies.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Cutting the gross production tax on oil companies.
Please show me this law where Oklahoma writes checks to oil companies who aren’t paying taxes.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, they fled the Democrats that ruled Alabama for so long.

It didn’t enjoy Republican leadership until 2010. Hopefully the Republicans can turn the state around.
Don't get your hopes up. Republicans have led Oklahoma since 2010 and for 2018 the state Legislature is looking at another huge budget deficit to try to do something about. Some Republicans want to keep on cutting funding for state government as the solution.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Many poor are poor because they choose to live in squalor conditions and refuse to educate themselves and move on. Poverty can sometimes be a choice.
So true. Poor people have poor ways. It was never my ambition to be poor and rely on the generosity of taxpayers, which isn't much, considering the bad conditions many of the poor live in.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:49 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,591 times
Quote:
Yeah, federal help is the only reason Highway 33 in Oklahoma got expanded from 2 to 4 lanes from I-35 to Langston. From there old two lanes were rebuilt to Highway 177. You don't want to try to prove how bad Oklahoma highways are bad by driving there.
Yeah, it frustrates me when the people who say they want a smaller federal government won't support their own states to build decent roads. So ironic that the same people who complain about the feds have not one hand out but both to get free money for roads or anything else for that matter.

It's crazy, the only way to reduce fed involvement is for states to pay their own way....(Oh no, we like to complain....but not that!)

Don't even get me started about the people who complain about the gov't when half or more of their own family is on welfare, CHIP, disability, SS, etc. I have never seen such hypocrisy...I grew up poor and have seen it first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies