Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 04:36 PM

62,496 posts, read 28,720,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
No, we don't all have one culture.

While I do absolutely feel as though immigrants should learn English, I don't understand why Americans act as though they're allergic to learning a different culture or being open minded to different cultures, assuming no laws are being broken.
But we have one identifying culture and language. All others are just minority cultures in this country. There are so many of them how can you say we reject other cultures just as long as they don't try to dominate or compete with the main one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 04:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,174,115 times
Quote:

While I do absolutely feel as though immigrants should learn English, I don't understand why Americans act as though they're allergic to learning a different culture or being open minded to different cultures, assuming no laws are being broken.
Because eventually that "culture" wants their laws to be allowed to be used in their new country.
Look no further than Europe and Sharia law (France, Denmark and Holland for example).

Old 08-20-2014, 12:12 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,399,519 times
Quote:

I don't know what this has to do with anything?

are you telling Americans that we must be open to learning about different cultures? i personally don't really care about learning about different cultures...

and in my opinion we do all pretty much have one culture, we speak the same language, watch the same tv shows and movies, celebrate the same holidays, watch and or play the same sports, eat the same foods.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:24 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,442,461 times
Quote:
So, I'll bet you're one of the white victims who whines about affirmative action and blacks being dependent on the US government and taxpayers money, yet you say minorities need the US? LOL okay.

Stormfronters have some odd logic going on.

And considering the average white American is poor and has a measly income of what, $50,000 a year, I don't think anyone is depending on them, but themselves.
Out of that 50,000 dollars over 10,000 of it goes to taxes. Those taxes fund the welfare programs that feed, clothe, and house the dependent class. Therefore, people on welfare do depend on the earnings of productive Americans. For someone who questioned others logic, you show a curious lack of it yourself.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:53 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,372,531 times
I don't like it at all. It's okay in little amounts, but when an entire neighborhood, city or country culture is perverted by it it's no good. America is a perfect example of diversity gone awry. It's been forced upon us, courtesy of the Kennedy boys and the worst and most destructive piece of legislation ever passed in American history, the 1965 Immigration and Nationality Act.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:45 AM

62,496 posts, read 28,720,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I don't like it at all. It's okay in little amounts, but when an entire neighborhood, city or country culture is perverted by it it's no good. America is a perfect example of diversity gone awry. It's been forced upon us, courtesy of the Kennedy boys and the worst and most destructive piece of legislation ever passed in American history, the 1965 Immigration and Nationality Act.
Yes, Ted Kennedy did open up the floodgates back then with no thought as to how these immigrants would assimilate. He said it would not change the demographics or culture of this country yet it has. Immigrants are encouraged to keep their native cultures and languages alive out in mainstream America. Entire neighborhoods do resemble foreign countries. Thanks, fat, drunken Teddy.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:02 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,442,461 times
Quote:
Yes, we do.
Quote:
Because we do not want to turn America into the Balkans. We do not want America to become a tribal nation bound purely by lines on a map like Yugoslavia or many of the nations in Africa plagued by ethnic violence.

You're naive if you buy into the fantasy of multiculturalism. The Europeans already tried it, and all of them are suffering from it. There is not a nation in Europe that welcomed Muslim immigrations that did not have that policy result in conflict. The leaders of France, Germany, and England have all publicly declared multiculturalism to be a failed philosophy after attempting it.

Multiculturalism would work fine if the peoples of all cultures accepted each other. But that's not what happens. What happens is that the naive self appointed enlightened liberal do-gooders demonize their own culture and attempt to get their own people to accept the culture of the minority without asking the minority culture to do the same. There are schools in liberal California that suspend American students who wear American flags on May 5. Are there any that suspend Mexican students for wearing Mexican flags on July 4 during summer session? No.

You see, in practice, multiculturalism isn't so much an acceptance of all cultures as it is a rejection of Western culture. The acceptance of diversity promoted by liberals does not go both ways. Oh sure, it does in theory. But not in practice. None of the real world policies coming out of multiculturalism ever celebrate Western culture or encourage other people to explore and accept Western culture. It is always and only the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies