Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 09:39 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
That's just it, though... plenty of people aren't put to sleep by leaders who can string together complex sentences.

I do agree that a leader should strive for the entire population to understand his/her meaning, so I see the pendulum swung too far the other way with Trump.

I cannot listen to him talk for longer than 15 seconds. I mean it. He just sounds like such an enormous boob. And, it's not even when he's saying anything particularly important that I think this.

He's not very articulate. I do get that this is part of his charm, but much like the example you gave with Obama and his big words and trying to make people think he was the smartest person in the room, it is all about perception of the listener.

I never felt like Obama used too many "big" words and I didn't think he was trying to seem like he was the "smartest."

I understood all the words he used and I felt like he was poised and professional, as the job generally requires.

Now, that said, I did not find GW or Clinton terribly inarticulate, either, and their manners of speaking are a bit less formal than Obama's.

Same goes for Reagan.

Trump sounds like a doofus. Now, maybe he's not, but you surely wouldn't know it to see or hear him speak. Can he not ever close his mouth? It's always hanging there, catching flies. His sons do the same thing, so maybe it's genetic, I dunno. Just strikes me as oafish.

Obama was not nearly as charming and articulate when he was off teleprompter.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:45 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treblenotdouble View Post
Most Trump voters I know are much less invested in politics Post Election. I grew up on CNN but started watching Fox News about 3 years ago. After Bill O'Reilly was fired (few months after the election), my interest in Fox nose dived. Now I mostly only get my news from Fox while I'm on the treadmill at the gym OR when friends text news in our group text (which is 2/3 Trump voters). I don't watch politics at home beyond FrontLine type of documentary shows.

I was really into the election but vowed to tone it down after no matter the result because I was wasting alot of time and health. Plus it negatively effected some relationships. An acquaintance of mine made an interesting point recently: for the most part the people affected by election results are the wealthy and the poor.

I don't follow Trump's twitter account but friends sometimes text them and/or I see them while I'm posting on forums. Ya, a good portion of it is childish and/or half truths. I'm not gonna vote based on that though. I most likely will vote based on stuff that irks me about the Democrats. (2016 was my first time voting Republican). We all have different experiences and interests, so it is kinda comical to me that in the most Multicultural nation possibly in history - people are debating politics. I think if you had European style governments with multiple parties you'd have a winning side with 10% of the vote. That is how fractured I think the society is.

Wow I love your honest post and I respect your opinion. I'm sorry but I don't understand your only watching FOX news. Is it because you only hear what you want to hear about Trump? Is it because you just don't care about the investigations and only want to hear the right wing spin? Honestly, I'm not trying to be rude. I just want to understand how one would chose to be low information in these serious times?

FOX has it's credible moments. I watch it as well, but if you want a well rounded insight, you have to see all sides to form an intelligent fact based opinion. Is it because you have voted party and nothing else?

I am sincerely interested in your point of view, and I honestly respect it. I just don't understand it.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Two notes on what has been posted up to this point:

First: If trump has an IQ of 157, the sun revolves around the earth, and green is now red. I would love to see some proof of that BS claim.

Second: While several trump supporters have stated that they disagree with trump on some issues, and I applaud that, I notice none were wiling to state which issues they disagreed with him on. Is that because you cannot think of anything specifically, or is it that you do not want to lock yourself in as disagreeing with him on a topic you might actually defend him on in another thread in regards to that issue? Would like to hear someone state a few areas that they disagree with him on, taxes, immigration, the military, healthcare, social programs, regulations, what specifically do you disagree with him on?

Not a fan of the way the tax reform plan was structured.

I would have preferred something closer to a flat tax or at least make the step up from 12% to 25% a more gradual change or not kick in until say, 100K for individuals or 250k for married couples. That would do a lot more to help the middle class.

I also wish he'd direct DOJ to give up on the whole marijuana crackdown idea.
I think Trump could win over a lot more people if he went in completely the opposite direction and endorsed national legalization.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I strongly believe the real reason people support Trump has less to do with his policies/personality and more to do with people getting fed up with the corrupt way in which democrats/liberals conduct business. People are fed up with SJW-driven agendas that have little to do with the practical challenges we face today (i.e. illegal immigration, North Korea/Iran/Russia/China, the economy, national defense, etc.), sneaky/deceptive use of media to manipulate people, and the constant distortion of the truth.

These are the reasons people continue to stubbornly support Trump, IMO.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:05 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Just curious - and I'm sincere about this. Is there anything - even one thing - he has said that you disagree with, find distasteful, or question to be true?

All I see from people on this forum is: Trump is god, his word is unquestionable, and all media and anyone else who dares criticize him is 100% evil.

I'm sure you'll say that it was a lot the same way when Obama was President - and you'd be right. And no, it wasn't good then either. No doubt this happens with any President. But here we are with Trump now in charge, so let's talk about him.

Is there any criticism of him from any media source or otherwise that you find fair? Name one thing.
Criticizing trump is fine and expected. what is not expected is the all out media war against trump where false information is intentionally broadcast. twisted interpretation of his words and projected spurious rumors treated as if they reflected reality.

Most disturbing is the hate and fear mongering democrat strategy spread by the mainstream media.

Trump has his moments but the media onslaught makes him a sympathetic figure and rallies his defenders.

It is impossible to leave Obama out as he is a reference point used to attack trump.

Trump's style is to exaggerate to produce positive results. Like, 'we are going to win', we are the best'. these are positive messages twisted into hateful interpretations by the media.

Even the activists judge made a decision about trump's immigration policy by ignoring the legal document and basing his decision on something trump said in a political campaign. Injustice meted out by thought control.

The media claims trump lies about crowd size, while Obama lied about national security and the economy to win an election. Opponents of trump fail to distinguish between a claim about crowd size and ISIS being the jv team or you can keep your doctor.

It is apparent anti trump contingent has been blinded by TDS and think the world doesn't see the no so slight of hand character assassination put out by an obvious propaganda machine aligned with the hijacked democrat party. The greatest tragedy to befall America is the loss of the free press.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:06 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
This is typical Trump supporter logic -i.e "...he's the only one we can trust" and the "country is going to hell"

Yet
- the guy doesn't speak more than two sentences without one of them being a lie - easy to tell - go research any of his claims
- his party has both congressional houses, but he has not been a unifying force-only a dividing one - for the country and his own party
- his personal conduct is beyond terrible - he is arrogant, obnoxious, egotistical - generally a poor ambassador for the US.
- what has he done in 1 year ? Nothing - he spends 90% of his time fighting ego battles about what someone/anyone said about him in public - he spews negativity constantly during these retorts.
- The country is not going to hell ? Where do you get this information (Fox perhaps? How do you define hell ? We are fine and have been fine for many years. Hell would be living in Syria or Afghanistan or Iraq, or possibly even Venezuela, etc.
- Immigration is an issue that needs a solution. It has been a problem for many, many, decades. Yet no candidate nor congress has done anything lasting about it, Trump included. What has he done except talk ? That is not a long term solution. Put the blame where it lies - on both Trump and Congress.

This is a typical Communist.

Make accusations with no proof to back it up.
In your attempt to wrap fantasy around reality. Trust is an individual perspective. The only one I trust 100%, is myself.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:10 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
let me ask you this question OP, do you use reasoning when you hear obama or clinton speak? do you agree with everything they say, or do you disagree with them on some things? my point here is that very few people agree with anyone 100% of the time. i dont agree with everything trump does or wants to do, sometime i think he goes too far, sometimes i think he doesnt go far enough.

i supported him in the general election because he wasnt hillary clinton, but i supported ted cruz in the primaries, but there again, i didnt agree with everything cruz said or did.

i am not like odanny who hangs ont every word that obama spoke as if it were gospel, i dont support anyone on earth like that.
LOL.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:27 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Just curious - and I'm sincere about this. Is there anything - even one thing - he has said that you disagree with, find distasteful, or question to be true?

All I see from people on this forum is: Trump is god, his word is unquestionable, and all media and anyone else who dares criticize him is 100% evil.

I'm sure you'll say that it was a lot the same way when Obama was President - and you'd be right. And no, it wasn't good then either. No doubt this happens with any President. But here we are with Trump now in charge, so let's talk about him.

Is there any criticism of him from any media source or otherwise that you find fair? Name one thing.
I held my nose when I voted for him and I shake my head at much of what he says and tweets.

That being said, I like most of what he is doing.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:33 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
What I find distasteful are those on the left who are even more pathetic with their descriptions of him and refusing to see what he has done for this country, and us.

What was pathetic is how Charasmatic Obama was, and how he fooled everyone, and acted out when he didn't get his way. A whole lot of foreign leaders didn't like him and both he and his wife were controllling. Telling people what to eat?

Trump may be a pain in the butt when he talks, and repetative, and just plain insulting at times when he speaks....but he has definitely done a lot of good for this country all ready.

and how can you even ask that question when Obama tripled our debt?
The stink eye that Michelle cast his way when he was flirting with the Prime Minister of Denmark at Nelson Mandela's funeral cracked me up .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies