Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is abortion a "no compromise" issue for you?
Pro-life and would never vote for a pro-choice candidate 17 12.78%
Pro-life but would vote for a pro-choice candidate 17 12.78%
Pro-choice but would vote for a pro-life candidate 45 33.83%
Pro-choice and would never vote for a pro-life candidate 54 40.60%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 02:59 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,095,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
You ignore the realities of what it would mean to overrule > 40 years of legal precedent and a SCOTUS ruling. That is immense, and would take a monumental shift in the SCOTUS to get there (plus a case that could realistically challenge the 1970's SCOTUS ruling).

The more real threat is abortion becoming more regulated through various state-level laws - and I agree that the fight should be waged there. But an actual overturning of abortion law at the SCOTUS level? I just don't see it. At least, anytime soon.
The process is via state laws that get contested in court and ultimately appealed to SCOTUS, who can (and has in some cases) choose to hear those cases and chip away at Roe. Another Trump appointee on the bench, and they could certainly look to overturn Roe and throw it all back to the states. I'm not predicting that it will happen, and it won't with the current court make up. But it could. And overruling decades of legal precedent happens with regularity.

Carpenter v US was heard just a couple of weeks ago and many court watchers believe that decades of precedent will be overturned. It's a bit more nuanced, of course, because the precedent never contemplated the ubiquity of cell phones and the ability to capture GPS tracking of a person's location with data going back for months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 03:29 PM

408 posts, read 214,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Whether one is staunchly against abortion or supports it, . . . the reality is that, it's settled law.
As long as liberals believe the 2nd Amendment is unsettled law it is foolish for them to believe Roe v Wade (going all the way back to Griswold v CT) is settled.

I have to laugh when one realizes that arguments such as this means that the person believes that a right that was recognized to exist in the "penumbras and emanations" of the specific enumerations of the first eight provisions of the Bill of Rights, is more vital, more important and more secure than a right that is expressly called-out in the Bill of Rights.

It would be ironic if liberal hostility for the right to arms and the 2nd Amendment, is used to draw into question the legitimacy of the legal theory by which the right to privacy (and the derivative rights to abortion, contraception and LGBTQ rights) were discovered and are now secured.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:37 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,151,589 times
As a pro-choice woman, it would depend how staunchly anti-choice the candidate is. I would be able to vote for Kasich under the right circumstances but never someone like Moore or Huckabee.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:09 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,335,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
It is not. And that's mainly because even if I voted for a "pro-life" candidate, I know that abortion law is not changing anytime soon.

People really need to move on from this distracting-as-all-hell issue. The 1970's are over, it is time to move on.

I honestly don't know why we even ask candidates where they stand on this issue. It is completely irrelevant.
Abortion will never be made illegal entirely, but various state laws can dramatically limit it, and one national law might ban it entirely after 20 weeks except for cases of rape and incest and if the life of the mother would be threatened by a birth, if it passes in the Senate and isn't deemed unconstitutional. Trump loves the prospect and it already passed in the House of Representatives.

Washington (CNN)The House of Representatives passed legislation Tuesday that would criminalize abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, with exceptions for instances where the life of the mother is at risk and in cases involving rape or incest.
House passes ban on abortion after 20 weeks - CNNPolitics

Louisiana
In the early 2000s, the state passed a raft of laws that made it nearly impossible for abortion providers to set up shop in Louisiana. Not only did the state pass a "civil liability law" allowing women who regretted their abortions to sue their doctor for unlimited sums, lawmakers mandated strict building codes for abortion clinics regulating everything from door sizes to the "angle and jet types for drinking fountains." These laws are no longer on the statute books.
America's 5 strictest abortion laws

This stuff's still being argued over by politicians who might have power to do something about their views.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:14 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,095,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
As a pro-choice woman, it would depend how staunchly anti-choice the candidate is. I would be able to vote for Kasich under the right circumstances but never someone like Moore or Huckabee.
Do NOT be misled by Kasich. He may talk like a moderate but he is absolutely not one in his policy positions.

Quote:
John Kasich is hoping for a candidacy-saving showing in New Hampshire on Tuesday by positioning himself as a pragmatic GOP budget-balancer, more moderate than his rivals. But on abortion, the Ohio governor is anything but moderate, signing a slew of restrictive laws that have closed nearly half his state’s clinics.
On abortion, Kasich is no moderate

Old 12-14-2017, 04:18 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,593,800 times
These pro lifers are major hypocrites. I bet most of them are FOR the death penalty too. One question i need to ask is who is going to pay for these “born” children that nobody wants? We all know the Republican stand on welfare. Once the child is born then what?

Old 12-14-2017, 04:25 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,506,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
These pro lifers are major hypocrites. I bet most of them are FOR the death penalty too. One question i need to ask is who is going to pay for these “born” children that nobody wants? We all know the Republican stand on welfare. Once the child is born then what?
Can you show me a SINGLE example of an undelivered baby going out and committing murder in the first degree?

The moment a third trimester baby does this and is found guilty, I’ll accept the jury returning with the death penalty.

Do you believe all men should be put in prison or do you believe rapists should never go to prison. That is the position you’re taking.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:41 PM

You don’t know me. How do you think you are going to put words in my mouth? How many baby’s are you going to support? None, I’m sure. Just another repub hypocrite....

Old 12-14-2017, 04:45 PM

Why men think this is their issue is beyond me. This is none of your business who or why these women get abortions. This is strictly a woman’s decision. Let’s get rid of thes Republicans that want to tell women what to do....

Old 12-14-2017, 04:46 PM

Republicans say less government. Well that is a crock.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies