Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is abortion a "no compromise" issue for you?
Pro-life and would never vote for a pro-choice candidate 17 12.78%
Pro-life but would vote for a pro-choice candidate 17 12.78%
Pro-choice but would vote for a pro-life candidate 45 33.83%
Pro-choice and would never vote for a pro-life candidate 54 40.60%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 10:38 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times

Advertisements

Both sides typically use abortion as a wedge but conservatives do moreso. Most people I know who are supporting Roy Moore are doing so because he's the pro-life candidate and even with his accusations, it's still better to have a tainted pro-life candidate than somebody like Doug Jones who is pro-choice. Since Jerry Falwell made the issue one of the defining issues for the GOP in the '80s, abortion has become the litmus test and the end all/be all of issues for many conservatives. Many will vote against their own interests based off this one issue alone. Republicans know this which is why they are able to implement policies that are detrimental to their core supporters yet they don't have to worry about re-election. They are against abortion and that's all that matters.

So how does abortion play into your own politics? Is it a "no compromise" issue for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 10:42 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,803 times
The only issue I have with abortion is that my tax dollars do not pay for it with the exception of those special circumstances.
Get an abortion on your own dime..welfare mama or not.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:45 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
I couldn't vote for a politician who wanted to curtail reproductive rights, no.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:46 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
Whether one is staunchly against abortion or supports it, I don't understand why it would be "The" issue that voters put above all others. Even if, some believes it is murder, the reality is that, it's settled law. States may try to chip away at access but the Court settled this 44 years ago. There is never going to be a reversal of Roe vs. Wade. Does anybody honestly believe abortion will ever again be illegal in the U.S.? Unless you do believe it, casting a vote solely on a candidate's view on abortion does not seem logical. There are other issues that voters can influence with their vote. Abortion is not one of them.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:50 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,622,240 times
I am pro choice but I would vote for a pro life candidate. I fully support women's rights but there are a couple of other issues I find a bit more important to the country as a whole than abortion.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:54 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Whether one is staunchly against abortion or supports it, I don't understand why it would be "The" issue that voters put above all others. Even if, some believes it is murder, the reality is that, it's settled law. States may try to chip away at access but the Court settled this 44 years ago. There is never going to be a reversal of Roe vs. Wade. Does anybody honestly believe abortion will ever again be illegal in the U.S.? Unless you do believe it, casting a vote solely on a candidate's view on abortion does not seem logical. There are other issues that voters can influence with their vote. Abortion is not one of them.
Exactly. The biggest issue with abortion is Planned Parenthood v. Casey which basically allows states to impose reasonable restrictions on women trying to get abortions, no "undue burdens" which substantially impact accessibility to an abortion. Some states - we know which ones - have naturally twisted this to their advantage, and many restrictions have been held constitutional because of this decision... but abortion isn't going anywhere. I don't know why politicians and people still care about this issue. It's a dead one, as far as whether access to abortion will be overturned period. It will not be. It's not going anywhere. Get over it, people.

There are many issues I personally prioritize before abortion, but considering abortion itself isn't going anywhere, I'd vote for a pro-life politician if I saw fit for other reasons. But my Republican representative in NJ for my district is more of a fiscal Republican and is liberal on social issues, as are many others hailing from NJ representing us. Our two Senators are staunch liberal Democrats, no worries there (and not like they're going anywhere anytime soon with incumbency rates). Pretty much every Republican at state level here is more moderate, so my only worry is ever really the presidential and VP candidate - however, the president and VP can't do jack about abortion, so no worries there either. Moral of the story - no actual concern about abortion, at least not from my perspective and what my vote controls.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:55 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
To many evangelicals, their eternal salvation is at stake if they vote for a candidate that is pro-abortion or pro-LGBT.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:56 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,670 times
I can't vote for a pro-life candidate. To vote for such a person is to vote against women's rights.

As a woman, I'm pro-choice and strongly believe, for the most part, it's up to the woman to decide if she wants to abort a baby. There can be so many reasons why - physical, emotional, financial, etc. - and nobody should judge a woman by her choice or force her to have a baby.

We must remember that it's not just about giving life but quality of life. It is a fact that states with limited access to abortion have higher rates of child mistreatment than do states without these restrictions

Would anyone support bringing a child into the world if he/she is going to be neglected or abused?

Old 12-11-2017, 10:57 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Bad survey - because a "pro-life" candidate may express his or her view or feeling, but believe that others (and the law) is a different thing.

I'm a guy - so it would be hypocritical for me to tell someone else what to do.

If we truly are going to address such issues we need a deeper conversation. Abortion should always remain legal. However, fathers have rights also (I am speaking of married couples, obviously). So perhaps some contracts would come into it so that crazy situations don't come up.

But, IMHO, it is at least 3/4 up to the female. This is for the obvious reasons - first, they have to go through the preggy. But maybe more importantly, the reality is that a vast number (maybe a majority) of men skip out on their responsibilities.

Maybe if a man got somehow "bonded" by signing over property or rights to it...they might then get a larger percentage of the choice.

This is a made-up issue meant to divide people. As an example of that, I belonged to a Hippie Commune - can't be further left than that.......and we were totally anti-abortion. In fact, we invited ANYONE to come and have their babies and if they didn't want them we'd keep them.

I think Bill Clinton expressed the feeling of most reasonable people - it should be legal, but rare.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:00 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times
In the Deep South, it's almost like Roe v. Wade doesn't matter, because it's so difficult to get an abortion safely.

Anyway, I went with pro-choice but would vote for a pro-life candidate, because despite my convictions, I have in the past. And probably would again. Sometimes that person winds up being the better or best candidate for other reasons, and I always hope that they won't do anything to curtail abortion rights despite their personal beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies