Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 01:48 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
You didn’t have to win. Just show that you would fight back and not just be an easy target that would put up with it constantly.

Even a shark will move on from prey that fights back.
Well, thanks for that lesson. My cousin hung himself because kids at school beat, humiliated, and sexually assaulted him during high school. Things have changed since the 50’s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 02:28 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
This is a problem of no discipline in society.

Public school teachers aren't allowed to hit students, and public schools don't expel the disruptive and delinquent ones permanently, so this is what you get.

The public schools are bad enough as it is right now with their SJW agendas.

Parents should home school their kids if they can't find or afford a good private or parochial school that has discipline.

Maybe there is no such thing as a school that allows corporal punishment anymore, thanks to the stupid laws that are passed.

In that case, home schooling is the only answer.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:17 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Didn't do anything except say, "You're imagining it", or if a girl was picked on by a boy, "He's just doing it because he likes you."

In fifth grade, I got into a playground push and shove with a boy who was picking on me...had been picking on me for months. He bent my finger back and broke it. I was given no medical attention for it, but was sent to the principal's office and given a lecture on "it's not ladylike to fight". In the meantime my finger turned colors and blew up like a balloon. The unsympathetic teacher just ignored it, and later told my mother (who really lit into her) that she thought it was a "baseball finger", whatever that is.

I didn't get a break from that kid on weekends, either. I was forced to go to Sunday School, and he was in my class. He picked on me there, too. The teachers were clueless.
That was 48 years ago. I have arthritis in that finger that was broken, and in winter I'm reminded of it every day.

When oldest grandson starts school next year, I'm going to have a serious heart to heart with him about not ever being mean to anyone.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 12-12-2017 at 03:44 AM..

Old 12-12-2017, 06:06 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Or we could argue -- kids aren't bullied more but we are just more aware....which is not such a bad thing. The fact that nobody talked about it 40 years ago doesn't mean it was okay & the right way to do things.

Remember when people didn't talk about parents who beat their children.....nobody would get involved. Now folks do something. I don't think that being more aware and talking about stuff (even if it means going overboard a little) is such a bad thing.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:24 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If reported it was dealt with. Not generally in the media but it would be dealt with.

I recall our entire class getting lectured on the bullying of one particular student. This was around 45 years ago.
I tend to have the same memories. I graduated from high school in 1974. I certainly recall that teachers and principals had no hesitation to suspend students that bullied other children, if reported. I recall three brothers (whom were truly 'bullies' in every sense) being expelled, one by one.

The worse case I ever saw was when a some guys picked up a young boy (each to one limb), spread his legs wide, and then ran and rammed his private area into a basketball post. The hoodlums were caught, although I do not recall the punishment (probably suspension at the least).

The cruel instincts of children towards others has not changed during the decades, although perhaps the means of taunting and such have changed (social media). I recall, during my senior year, two students dying, with none of us knowing how or why; on reflection, I wonder if they committed suicide.

In summary, I also reject the notion that 'back in the old days' a student was simply expected to fend for him or her self, with the teachers and principals simply urging them to 'fight back'. My memory is different.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:37 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I tend to have the same memories. I graduated from high school in 1974. I certainly recall that teachers and principals had no hesitation to suspend students that bullied other children, if reported. I recall three brothers (whom were truly 'bullies' in every sense) being expelled, one by one.

The worse case I ever saw was when a some guys picked up a young boy (each to one limb), spread his legs wide, and then ran and rammed his private area into a basketball post. The hoodlums were caught, although I do not recall the punishment (probably suspension at the least).

The cruel instincts of children towards others has not changed during the decades, although perhaps the means of taunting and such have changed (social media). I recall, during my senior year, two students dying, with none of us knowing how or why; on reflection, I wonder if they committed suicide.

In summary, I also reject the notion that 'back in the old days' a student was simply expected to fend for him or her self, with the teachers and principals simply urging them to 'fight back'. My memory is different.
What about child abuse? Wasn't it more of a problem then?

Old 12-12-2017, 07:43 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Were there campaigns to end bullying? Were kids told to just deal with it and "man up?" I'm asking in light the whole Keaton controversy, but that's another topic.
What is lost in this conversation are the kids who cannot "man"or girl up. Some kids who are not raised with confidence or problem solving skills through either extreme of dysfunction be it abuse or coddling, are lost in the mix. Both of my kids are and were highly confident and capable from a young age. Bully proof is what their teachers called them starting in elementary school. But kids who lack an understanding of capability will either become the bully or fall victim to it themselves. Throwing them out with the bath water is not a good thing.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:48 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Or we could argue -- kids aren't bullied more but we are just more aware....which is not such a bad thing. The fact that nobody talked about it 40 years ago doesn't mean it was okay & the right way to do things.

Remember when people didn't talk about parents who beat their children.....nobody would get involved. Now folks do something. I don't think that being more aware and talking about stuff (even if it means going overboard a little) is such a bad thing.
That or it was romanticized in some Little Rascals or Christmas Story way

Old 12-12-2017, 07:52 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Boomers, what were expected of victims of bullying when you were in school?

Fighting back and refusing victimhood was a good option.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:02 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
I grew up in the 80's and went to one to one of the toughest schools in Atlanta. bullies and fights were common just about one a day it seemed. One either learned to fight back or became the target to get picked on for the rest of the school year. Schools used to have the ability to suspend kids were who bullies, etc. They also used to teach more useful subject then they do these days. Parents have taken the schools ability to deal with bullies, yet fail to do anything about it themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies