Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should females be allowed to have a choice to abort a fetus?
Yes 276 85.71%
No 46 14.29%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 02:13 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Wow. Scientifically, it is a life. Why are so many here anti-science?

Life cycle and Reproduction

https://davidwangblog.wordpress.com/...-reproduction/

If there is no life there is no life cycle.
I'm not sure why you and others here are anti-science, but biological life requires homeostasis.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:14 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Quote:
Do you understand how much double speak that is? If it's life it can not also simply be "potential" life. The refusal of so many on both sides to be honest in this topic is why I generally stay away.

It is scientifically unquestionably life. Not potential life. It is life.
Define 'life' as you see it. Life can be a slug or bacteria or pond scum. A living organism in the womb doesn't mean it's a baby from the date of conception. It's a potential baby just like the poster said. The question of when does (human) life begin has not been agreed upon by religious leaders, lawmakers or scientists let alone a consensus between all three of those groups and there will never be one thus you do not have the right to decide that question for someone else.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:28 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Define 'life' as you see it.
I have. Scientifically it is a life. There is no debate there. It's a simple scientific fact.

Quote:
Life can be a slug or bacteria or pond scum. A living organism in the womb doesn't mean it's a baby from the date of conception. It's a potential baby just like the poster said. The question of when does (human) life begin has not been agreed upon by religious leaders, lawmakers or scientists let alone a consensus between all three of those groups and there will never be one thus you do not have the right to decide that question for someone else.
Whether it's a life and whether it's an individual human are two very distinctly different things. Can anyone scientifically point to when something becomes a separate human? No. It is a life from the very beginning.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
No. It is a life from the very beginning.
Not according to biological science.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Not according to biological science.
Yes it is. I'm not going to go back and forth over this.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:39 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Quote:
Why not? You don't mind going back and forth over other stuff when you think you have a chance of swaying someone's opinion. There is LIFE and there is life. Look it up in the dictionary. There are lots of definitions.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
That's fine, but your opinion doesn't replace biological science.

The reality is that homeostasis does not exist in a fetus until the late stages (at which point you have a human baby in the womb).

You should consider learning about the basics of science and biology so you are more prepared to discuss this topic.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
That's fine, but your opinion doesn't replace biological science.

The reality is that homeostasis does not exist in a fetus until the late stages (at which point you have a human baby in the womb).
Like others, I was waiting on you changing the definition to defend your position.

Quote:
You should consider learning about the basics of science and biology so you are more prepared to discuss this topic.
I'm doing just fine.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Like others, I was waiting on you changing the definition to defend your position.
I don't have a position. I believe in science. Since science aligns with my statements, no change is needed.
Quote:

I'm doing just fine.
Constant failure in discussion is fine with you? Well, I guess with those standards, I'm not surprised.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:40 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
WebMd, a highly recognized and esteemed source of medical information, considers it a baby from conception.

"Month One of Pregnancy

The amniotic sac is a water-tight sac that forms around the fertilized egg. It helps cushion the growing embryo throughout pregnancy.
The placenta also develops at this point in the first trimester. The placenta is a round, flat organ that transfers nutrients from the mother to the baby, and transfers waste from the baby.
A primitive face takes form with large dark circles for eyes. The mouth, lower jaw, and throat are developing. Blood cells are taking shape, and circulation will begin.
By the end of the first month of pregnancy, your baby is around 6-7mm (1/4 inch) long - about the size of a grain of rice!"

WebMD Medical Reference Reviewed by Traci C. Johnson, MD on September 12, 2016

https://www.webmd.com/baby/1to3-months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies