Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 07:42 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Your statement about as long as you don't have a job and you are looking you are considered unemployed by the BLS is not true.

How in the world does the BLS know? lol If someone has been government deemed not looking in order to make the numbers look better how does that change anything? They are not producing, they're taking from the system.
How the BLS measures unemployment.

https://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm
Who is counted as unemployed?

People are classified as unemployed if they do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work. Actively looking for work may consist of any of the following activities:
  • Contacting:
    • An employer directly or having a job interview
    • A public or private employment agency
    • Friends or relatives
    • A school or university employment center
  • Submitting resumes or filling out applications
  • Placing or answering job advertisements
  • Checking union or professional registers
  • Some other means of active job search
Like I wrote, if you don't have a job but are actively looking you are counted as unemployed by the BLS.

How the BLS measures is also available at the above link. In short its an extremely large survey. The charges of political bias have never been proven or validated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 07:47 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I made a disclaimer on page 1 about that - did you miss it?

The problem with the number in the past is that people would drop off of the unemployment stats if they were unemployed too long... therefore, it kept the number lower than it actually is.

I may too dig in detail and check the numbers again. It's been awhile.
It's been a while because, again it's hypocrisy.

Why didn't you do the bold before you posted this thread if not to try to give your guy Trump a high five on things that Obama also did but you claimed wasn't real/valid.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:54 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
WOOHOOOO!! We've done it folks! Racism - OFFICIALLY OVER

Wow...oh my god...I'm-I'm in tears right now...what a beautiful day. It's all finally over. Drinks on me everyone!
Even in liberal land, you know it ain't true... so why do you pretend liberals aren't racist?

Old 12-13-2017, 08:06 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Then why did food stamp usage go up for the last 2 months on record in August and September? Is it because the economy still stinks and the jobs that came back are low paying?
July 41,203,725
Aug 41,251,644
Sep 42,048,425

https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...NAPmonthly.pdf
It’s likely that natural disasters have played a role...

Old 12-13-2017, 08:22 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Black and Hispanic unemployment rates are declining, which is absolutely a good thing. I know we are close to full employment... hopefully these numbers will further decrease - since theoretically we are over 7.3% and 4.7% respectively.
But the unemployment figures are fake news. Its closer to 35%. Maybe 40%. Thats what I heard.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:28 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
How the BLS measures unemployment.

https://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm
Who is counted as unemployed?

People are classified as unemployed if they do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work. Actively looking for work may consist of any of the following activities:
  • Contacting:
    • An employer directly or having a job interview
    • A public or private employment agency
    • Friends or relatives
    • A school or university employment center
  • Submitting resumes or filling out applications
  • Placing or answering job advertisements
  • Checking union or professional registers
  • Some other means of active job search
Like I wrote, if you don't have a job but are actively looking you are counted as unemployed by the BLS.

How the BLS measures is also available at the above link. In short its an extremely large survey. The charges of political bias have never been proven or validated.
to the bolded You're talking about how can someone say it's not a good measurement and then use it to say it is a good measurement now. I'll agree 100 percent with that sentiment. You always have to point out the hypocrisy.

But quite a few are saying it's not a good indicator and it doesn't matter who is in office and here are the reasons why.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:30 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
It’s likely that natural disasters have played a role...
Its 50 percent higher than before the crash in 2007 when it was at 27 million. The population has grown only 8 percent during that same time.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:42 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times
Quote:
to the bolded You're talking about how can someone say it's not a good measurement and then use it to say it is a good measurement now. I'll agree 100 percent with that sentiment. You always have to point out the hypocrisy.

But quite a few are saying it's not a good indicator and it doesn't matter who is in office and here are the reasons why.
What you wrote:

"If someone has been government deemed not looking in order to make the numbers look better"

Do you have any proof that the BLS is manipulating the number to make them look better?

Old 12-13-2017, 09:44 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
This runs counter to the propaganda narrative....
You mean the narrative that unemployment has fallen from over 10% to around 4% in a matter of 8 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies