Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 09:11 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,783,215 times

Advertisements

Many elementary and middle schools already have strong restrictions on cell phone usage. It wouldn’t be a leap to implement this here. I don’t think it should be a law though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 02:24 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,452,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
What kids do on their BREAK TIME is their business, so there shouldn't be an "educational point of view" to that.

As I see it the problem with having them on their break is that after being on it for 15-30 mins they would be too focused on what someone did or said on social media it would be hard for them to get focused again. Kids have very short attention spans these days. I still think it would be best that the state ban them even if the schools were able too, and I say that because the kids might be more worried about break a state law over what the school says.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:53 AM

18,403 posts, read 7,022,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
The funny part is if it were suggested in America, the red states would be opposed to it on principle because "ain't no gubermint gonna tell us what to do," ironically resulting in even lower educational performance as their kids spend all day fiddling with their cellphones.
Nonsense.

I'm conservative and I'm all for it......to me it's a no brainer.

Kids don't need the distraction. School should be about reading, writing, arithmetic, history, arts and phys ed.

Cell phones aren't a necessary component or tool to learn any of that.

In fact I don't think kids should have a smart phone or participate in social media at all until they're at least 16 in order to develop into some semblance of a normally functioning human being.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

In fact I don't think kids should have a smart phone or participate in social media at all until they're at least 16 in order to develop into some semblance of a normally functioning human being.

I'll go one further kid doesn't get a cellphone until he/she gets a job and pays for it themselves.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:15 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,871,372 times
Are cell phones allowed in elementary schools in the USA now? Really?!

My boys managed to get to high school without the need for a phone in school or at home. Oh - not true -- we got rid of our landline when my youngest was in middle school so he had to have a phone but he never used it at school. It wasn't allowed (isn't that the same thing as banning).

I'm sure schools impose restrictions on the use of phones in school in all school districts.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:55 AM

37,939 posts, read 17,764,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
The funny part is if it were suggested in America, the red states would be opposed to it on principle because "ain't no gubermint gonna tell us what to do," ironically resulting in even lower educational performance as their kids spend all day fiddling with their cellphones.
The funny part is you made this up. When one cannot discuss policy because of ignorance or partisanship, the thing to do is falsely testify. Progressivism is a known failure. We know that, it has failed time and time again. The right wants local control and your imbecilic statement about not wanting government is just that. Imbecilic.

The lower education has come about because of the progressive Dept of Education with their one size fits all approach. Is it any wonder that our standing in education compared to the rest of the world has gone downhill?

Old 12-13-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

My boys managed to get to high school without the need for a phone in school or at home. Oh - not true -- we got rid of our landline when my youngest was in middle school so he had to have a phone but he never used it at school.

IS that what e told you or hoping that he didn't use it?

Old 12-13-2017, 07:27 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,888,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You're quite the scholar in deciding for everyone what people in a "red" state would do. I'm certain you've spent years researching this.
You don't need years to research this. When a person sees three year olds screaming bloody murder when Mom takes their iPad away, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know excessive device usage is a problem. I'm an optician, and I'm putting 25 year olds in reading glasses now because they spend all day long on electronic devices. Not even our eyes are designed to handle that much cell phone time.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:33 AM

16,237 posts, read 5,837,502 times
I am amazed. WE have consensus on city data. Both sides agree that kids don't need to use their cellphones at school.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:28 PM

272 posts, read 133,852 times
Default France to impose total ban on mobile phones in schools

France is going to impose aban on pupils using mobile phones in primary and secondary schools in September of next year.

You cant use Phones are already the classrooms in france but now they will be barred from taking them out at breaks, lunch times and between lessons. It seems like they just ask kids to put them up in box for the day when in the classrooms

France to impose total ban on mobile phones in schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies