Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 12:01 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Not my problem. Don't have kids you can't afford. Make sure daddy sticks around.

Everyone needs to do something. Sitting around on the couch, collecting welfare, is not acceptable. Not when I and many other millions of people are getting up each morning, fighting traffic to drive in, and are chained to our desks all day long, 40 hours a week.
But it’s perfectly acceptable for billionaires to sit around at the country club, collecting the profits they make from you being chained to a desk for 40 hours a week.

It’s perfectly fine for rich people to live at your expense, but it’s totally unacceptable for poor people live at your expense. Funny how that works.

In addition: unlike the welfare recipient, the billionaires have enough money to lobby politicians to create policies (like outsourcing and H1B visas) that undermine your bargaining power. It’s the corporate elite (who are getting richer off your labor with every passing decade) that have the power to make you work longer hours for lower pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 12:03 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Food Stamp usage through SNAP is now at a 7 year low.

Is this suppose to be a good thing? Where I live there is a constant request for donations. The food banks are begging and claim to running out out of food. The teachers spend their own money trying to help students who cannot afford school supplies and some who depend on the school for a meal. Locally there was a man arrested and sentenced to six months in jail for stealing a loaf of bread.

We continue to elect millionaires and billionaires who do not have the slightest awareness of what it is to do without food, or unable to pay for a doctor for a sick child, to be without heat in the winter, etc. Yet they legislate the tax laws to give money to those who have the most and pay for it by slashing aid to childern, the elderly, and poor.
If America is truly one nation under God how can these rich politicians act against the needy with a clear conscience?
The food banks are precisely how the needy should be fed. Not by the government giving them a debit card.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:44 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
But it’s perfectly acceptable for billionaires to sit around at the country club, collecting the profits they make from you being chained to a desk for 40 hours a week.

It’s perfectly fine for rich people to live at your expense, but it’s totally unacceptable for poor people live at your expense. Funny how that works.

In addition: unlike the welfare recipient, the billionaires have enough money to lobby politicians to create policies (like outsourcing and H1B visas) that undermine your bargaining power. It’s the corporate elite (who are getting richer off your labor with every passing decade) that have the power to make you work longer hours for lower pay.
I don't disagree with this -- there are 3 classes of people -- The Rich make the rules to benefit themselves, the poor get plenty of govt. help, and that leaves the shrinking middle class to pay for it.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:56 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with this -- there are 3 classes of people -- The Rich make the rules to benefit themselves, the poor get plenty of govt. help, and that leaves the shrinking middle class to pay for it.
Exactly right.

Fear the billionaires who have the power to shift the tax burden from them onto you.

Our welfare state is pretty stingy compared to the other First World nations. For example, plenty of mentally ill people are left to die on the street. For all the talk about people scamming the disability system, disability is actually very hard to get (my significant other is a disability attorney).

Both the poor and the middle class are getting the shaft from the billionaire club. Warren Buffett publicly said so. Why is he not afraid to say it? Because he knows that the middle class will side with the billionaires against the poor instead of siding with the poor against the billionaires.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:08 PM

8,230 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Almost everyone gets turned down the first time for disability. A few years back it was revealed that some judges were getting a bonus for denying most people. You must be unable to work for 6 months to apply. It takes most people 5 years or more to get it. If you have any disability that can be fixed by surgery, you don't qualify and you don't qualify for medical care to fix it either.
My stepson did not qualify for medical care until he was completely blind. Then they sent him to a doctor who said they probably could have fixed it earlier. So he will get disability the rest of his life because they refused him medical care. He is 37.
In Missouri, if a family of three has over $334 a month income, they can't get food stamps. The system is broken.
Yep. I've been on disability since 2011. Now they're trying to claim I committed fraud and faked PTSD when years ago they used my PTSD as a reason to give my daughter to her rapist father, one of the causes of the PTSD. They had four investigators follow me around video taping me doing things like going to medical appointments without ambulatory device (I had never said I needed one in the first place), eating at a fast food place without appearance of anxiety (anxiety can appear in different ways), saw me talking twice on a cell phone in public (I've even seen people in wheel chairs using a cell phone so don't get that at all), and being out in public without crying. Yep, that's what they said.

And one day in January two of these investigators accosted me and claimed they were there investigating ID theft and the story they gave along with it was such obvious BS I knew immediately they were lying. I at first thought it was my ex having me followed again (he's done it many times before), but based upon their reactions to things I was saying I eventually deduced they were either there because of the disability review that was going on or because of the previous false allegations against me regarding my daughter. My forced former husband is a government employee and has used his government connections against me since I was a child to keep tabs on me and/or control something about my life.

I ended up getting a copy of the fraud report (this stuff is still in appeals because I only went on disability as last resort because I ran out of options in my attempts to be employed and I know I did not commit fraud) almost two months ago and have been doing all I can to poke holes at it and discredit it. For starters, they took my medical records in some areas of the report and distorted the information to take out parts where the doctor said I was having problems and make it look like I was faking medical problems. In one area they took out of the medical report where I hadn't seen this one doctor in two years and put that into the fraud report but left out the sentences in the same paragraph where the doctor explains that it was because of a problem with insurance during those two years and that I'd been seeing someone else. They left out the part where the doctor was saying I was having problems and how I had to have a bladder treatment to help with it. They did put into the fraud report that I had the treatment but left out the part as to why I had the treatment. The whole fraud report was done all that way in order to frame me as a fraud.

They even went on about how I had drove south 'to get a bit of warm air' to describe a time during winter 2016 when I was homeless and had drove south to where it was a little warmer to try and keep me and my cats from freezing to death. They left out the part of my being homeless twisted the situation to make it sound like I went on vacation.

The whole fraud report was wrote up like that. And they went on about my degrees. They distorted the degrees like I had used the opportunity to go to college for the degrees because I was on disability when I already had everything done up to the thesis before I had even applied for disability. I was in college living off student loans because I couldn't work a job and kept having to appeal to get back into the college because I'm so messed up medically that I kept falling behind and having to drop out and keep starting over. I had about two years left on a four year degree when I started at the university in 1999 and wasn't able to graduate with my bachelor's until May 2004 because of my health problems. I kept enrolling full time, because of welfare reform requiring me to go to college or have a job (which I kept not being able to obtain due to health problems) and I had trouble even finishing a semester sometimes. I had some semesters where I was able to finish on dean's list or president's list and others where I had to drop out mid way through and start all over again on the classes. The same thing happened in graduate school. I almost didn't finish graduate school at all and only finished my thesis because some of the staff felt bad for me and helped me finish it. I have trouble with computer stuff and couldn't figure out how to format stuff with microsoft word. They didn't care so much when the paper was printed out, but the thesis had to be formatted exactly, which I never could figure out, and transformed to a pdf file, which I'd never even tried to do before. The fraud investigators found my thesis online and used it as proof that I am a "whiz with computers." I typed the words and the staff did everything else with it. I had ran out of extensions to complete the thesis and wouldn't have graduated.

I started grad school (a 2 year program) in January 2006 and wasn't able to finish until December 2013. I was working on the master's for over seven years. What employer is going to want someone who stays sick so much that they take three times as long (or longer) than others doing the same project? Just not going to happen. No one ever wanted to keep me at a regular job because of my health problems; they're definitely not going to hire me for a job that requires skills. Even with three degrees I am completely unemployable and it has been proven for a long time now. Even the university refused to hire me for their menial jobs because they know how messed up I am.

They acted in the fraud report though that finding out about all of these degrees was an 'ahha' moment when I told them about the degrees when I first applied. They have conveniently not kept the original application and paperwork though. I was very upfront about my situation when I applied.

So, I have to appeal all of this because I have never been able to hold down a job in my life and keep getting sick much of the time. If I lose the appeal I'll either die a slow, painful death from lack of medical care for my health problems or I have to end myself to escape the slower death sentence.

And they claimed I was discontinued from food stamps in the report when I wasn't. The food stamp office was actually very helpful when I explained why I needed proof that my food stamps weren't discontinued. I have to go through the report and find every false statement and find a way to discredit it with actual evidence. It's been quite stressful doing all of this, and some things there's no longer proof for me to obtain. But they had this innuendo in the report that I did something to lose my food stamps to help paint me in negative light.

They claimed this block and half I used to walk sometimes was over half a mile when I pulled up google map that showed it was less than that and I printed it out to disprove that falsehood.

They're basically framing me for fraud...a felony. People have in their heads that the applicants commit the fraud and are dishonest when the government is the one who distorts the records and spins things to discredit honest applicants. The SSA does all it can to lie about people.

Oh, and because I really do have moderate to severe PTSD, I knew I was being followed. I just didn't know by who. PTSD isn't all about anxiety. There's also hypervigilance, which I have a lot of usually. It even keeps me up at night. I knew someone was following me, but I couldn't tell who (turns out I couldn't tell who because I was looking for one person and there were four in different vehicles which threw me off). I'd drive to the library because I was feeling anxious and was scared to lead someone home (although turned out they already knew where I lived). They wrote up in the report how they followed me to the library showing no anxiety and I stayed a long time. (I went to library because I was anxious and stayed for a while because I was too anxious to leave.) I guess to the government the only way to display anxiety is to curl up in a ball crying. So, they were documenting my reaction to being followed and twisting it to say I wasn't showing signs of anxiety. (Next time someone says I'm being paranoid though when I say I'm being followed I'm pulling out this report and showing that the government does indeed follow me around!)

I am still being followed. If I go to the doctor for an appointment that wasn't created that same day, for example, someone shows up with a cell phone camera taking pictures of me and then they leave. I get followed to the store and to fast food places. They even vandalized my truck and now there's a gas leak somewhere from it. The investigator that accosted me and had me talk with him back in January called me after I discovered it and hung up like he was taunting me. No contact from him from January to August and he does a hang up call on me after I discovered my truck busted up. I don't think it's a coincidence. And the person who did it knew how to avoid being on the security cameras. I'm still trying to get my truck in full working order. Someone is going to try and fix some more of it tomorrow. If I can win this appeal I'm going to pack up the truck and leave this state even if I have to leave everything behind this time.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Everyone needs to work. Period. Even if it's 15-20 hours a week at Dunkin Donuts - which by the way always seems to be hiring around here. There are jobs out there and damn straight you ought to have to be doing something. If you are, then I have no problem with helping you out.
And how does the applicant force the employer to hire them? There is no requirement for an employer to hire anyone. All you can do is fill out the job applications. If someone goes to Dunkin Donuts and fills out the application and the employer refuses to offer the job to you then you have done all you could to obtain employment at Dunkin Donuts. Same goes for the Dollar Tree and every other business putting out a "help wanted" sign.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:13 PM

177 posts, read 108,056 times
I volunteer at our local food bank. One of our clients (elderly, disabled, a widow, who lost his only child in an auto accident 8 years ago and has no other family) had no food at all in the house at all the last time I visited him but was too proud to let us know. Are these the people you Trumpsters are happy to kick off food stamps? You must be proud of yourselves. Truly deplorable.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnfarm1947 View Post
I volunteer at our local food bank. One of our clients (elderly, disabled, a widow, who lost his only child in an auto accident 8 years ago and has no other family) had no food at all in the house at all the last time I visited him but was too proud to let us know. Are these the people you Trumpsters are happy to kick off food stamps? You must be proud of yourselves. Truly deplorable.
That's really sad. It's nice that someone checks on him though. A lot of people don't have anyone to even check on them.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:11 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,221,095 times
There should be fishing and hunting lessons, not food stamps. Teach a man to fish, he never goes hungry

Old 12-14-2017, 05:28 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
There should be fishing and hunting lessons, not food stamps. Teach a man to fish, he never goes hungry
Do you really want a blind person in a wheelchair on disability to hunt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies