Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the song, "Baby, It's Cold Outside", about date rape?
Yes 12 12.37%
No 78 80.41%
Not sure 7 7.22%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 06:08 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ide/947809001/

The culture police have become ridiculous. They're so desperate to eliminate abuse toward women that they're willing and able to see abuse in nearly every situation and every type of relationship. Enough already.
15 years ago -- my son was in Grade 9 he says -- how can a song about date rape be a classic Christmas song....lol.

We laughed about it in our family and dismissed him -- BUT BUT BUT.......it is kind of the culture that we dismissed and joked about isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 06:48 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
Someone in my circle started calling it the Christmas date rape song a few years ago and it stuck. I think the problem line is "what's in this drink". Like he roofied her, or whatever they used back in the day.

I don't think many people spend much time thinking about it. It can be a cool duet depending who's singing it. But it has nothing to do with Christmas, which I guess is a separate debate.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
I think calling it "date rape" is a little strong but I've always hated that song because of the lyrics.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:06 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ide/947809001/

The culture police have become ridiculous. They're so desperate to eliminate abuse toward women that they're willing and able to see abuse in nearly every situation and every type of relationship. Enough already.
No.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:48 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Actually see feminists defending the song. She clearly wants to stay but it's the social mores of the time that she is really struggling with.
Yes, this.

I think it makes certain groups look silly and overly sensitive when they complain about things like this - a song written 73 years ago during a very different time, culture, expectations, etc. Women weren't supposed to want sex according to popular thought (though even then people knew it was BS) so women had to feign disinterest in order to look "moral."

I'm as liberal and feminist as they come and I think people are barking up the wrong tree complaining about this song. Find something that matters and work on that.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:07 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Actually see feminists defending the song. She clearly wants to stay but it's the social mores of the time that she is really struggling with.
If you listen to the song, it's a duet. The man and woman start out singing their parts with a pause between them. As the song continues the singers start to overlap each other, and by the end of the song the two sing in unison.

The woman and the man are coming up with silly and innocuous reasons to either stay or go, but in the end their mutual feelings for each other won out.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:13 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
First of all I can't believe everyone is getting so wound up about an innocuous song.

When the song was written and performed, it was a harmless fun song about two people finding a way to get what they actually want and trying to justify it. In my mind that's how it still should be viewed. I think most art needs to be viewed in the context of the period in which it was created.

That being said, if you look at the lyrics in a vacuum and wrote them today, it's totally sexual harassment.

I'm NOT saying that's what the song is about, but I can absolutely appreciate that some people don't get nuance and apply very strict rules to everything, and so it becomes the date rape song.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:20 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Someone in my circle started calling it the Christmas date rape song a few years ago and it stuck. I think the problem line is "what's in this drink". Like he roofied her, or whatever they used back in the day.

I don't think many people spend much time thinking about it. It can be a cool duet depending who's singing it. But it has nothing to do with Christmas, which I guess is a separate debate.
Back then it referred to alcohol, because *proper women* weren't SUPPOSED to be having a drink with a man alone in his house. Would also depend upon the inflection used.

To really understand the song I think people need to get back in the 1940's mindset....prior to Rosie the Riveter, the sexual revolution, womens rights etc. (This is also wayyy before they wouldn't even show Elvis' hip gyrations on TV. )

A lot more stuff was done with a wink & nudge to keep up the appearance of good moral character.

This is why some of the gals from that era that drank and hung out with the boys were so *scandalous*.

Talk about some old school "sl*t shaming"....I think that the social implications of the lyrics paint a much more dire treatment of women and what they were "allowed" to do without getting socially castigated.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:23 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
"Baby, It's Cold Outside" - A song about date rape?

Nah, it's obviously a song written by a climate change denier.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:23 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Well the Confederate statues have been removed, so now they're going after songs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies