Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion, which news network produces the most accurate information?
New York Times 23 11.27%
CNN 16 7.84%
NBC 6 2.94%
Fox News 68 33.33%
BBC 67 32.84%
Sky News 0 0%
Washington Post 13 6.37%
Breitbart 11 5.39%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 12:58 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Fox - I'm guessing the ironic answer
The percentage, coincidentally, is also the reliable 37% who support Trump - if anyone has noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 01:17 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
This Venn diagram pretty much sums it up for me.

For those who would find clicking the link too unbearable, it lists the following news organizations as least biased and meeting high standards:
  • Al Jazeera
  • Christian Science Monitor
  • NPR
  • PBS
  • BBC
  • Washington Post
  • New York Times
  • ABC
  • NBC
  • CBS
  • AP
  • Reuters

Old 12-14-2017, 01:23 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
the pain this thread has to be causing the hard left makes me giggle.
Snark without a point. Why......???? The 37% is right in line with Trump's blind, unshakeable base. So, explain why the hard left should be in pain? Nothing that the whole world didn't already know.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:25 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I like the CBS Sunday a.m. show and generally watch 60 Minutes, as well. Read the NYT, WaPo, WSJ - and other sites. Also spend a lot of time with C-Span, in particular the Washington Journal and Newsmakers. Some really informative guests appear at times. Good brain food on C-Span. Generally, I watch the videos at night, as I'm not up that early in the day. Of course, one still needs to filter out the bs and bias. C-Span also interviews politicians from both parties. You've gotta be able to cut through the bs, there, as well.

Occasionally, I watch Mike Wallace on FOX - the only nonlying journalist on that station - even then, he leaves important facts unsaid when he shouldn't. Shep Smith is OK - but I generally am not watching news at that time of the day. Brett Baier tries but, he, too, falls into the lying omissions which mislead. This is beneath him. He shouldn't do it. As does Britt Hume. Tucker Carlson is a lying shill most the time. Never listen to Hannity who is pure lying tabloid. Varney turns my stomach. Neil Cavuto knows better but still promotes the swill or glosses over real facts. The Barbie Doll look of most of the women on at FOX station is ridiculous. Often wondered how Greta lasted there as long as she did. Was glad to see her on MSNBC. Sorry it didn't take.

During the week, usually watch CNBC most of the time, tune into MSNBC for O'Donnell and Brian Williams. I ignore O'Donnell's hyperbole, although sometimes he really nails it. Generally, I want to hear the guests on MSNBC. I prefer highly-educated, well-spoken people with wide vocabularies, experience, intelligence and respect for facts and the meaning of words. Not heard on FOX - and only in a limited way on CNN. But, I do tune in to CNN when news is breaking to get their take. Can't stand their panels, however. Too many people - none of whom are really smart.

Fwiw - election night, MSNBC refused to call Alabama for Jones when CNN and FOX already had. Even later at night MSNBC called Jones the "apparent" winner, although Steve Kornacki had been saying for half an hour he couldn't see where Moore would be able to pick up enough votes to win it.

MSNBC is far more credible than FOX. If you weren't braindead when you tuned in to FOX, for sure, you'll develop brain rot if you listen to them too long. FOX (and Limbaugh) are the primary cause of the decline of civil discourse and divisiveness in this country with their lies and obfuscations and outright hatred. Trump stokes this ignorance and hatred. After all, he loves the uneducated - and it shows.

The FCC should pull the FAUX News license, imo.
Just the reciprocal of you.

Take the 2016 Presidential Election for instance.

FOX News called the Election for President Donald J Trump by about 11:00 pm mst on November 8th while the others still pretty much have yet to do so, nor to congratulate us that voted for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Why in the wild world of sports would you want to be congratulated for how you voted?

Back in 2008 and 2012, did you congratulate the people who voted for Barack Obama?
I kept my mouth shut for 8 years.

Last edited by McGowdog; 12-14-2017 at 01:50 PM..

Old 12-14-2017, 02:30 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Sorry but I avoid news from people who hate America, hate capitalism, and blames straight white men for everything.
Well whatever news you are getting sure has given you a warped sense of life in the USA...but you seem okay with that -- and you know what -- that's what is great about living in the USA - you go right ahead and do you.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:38 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I get it now -- American consumers are the problem. Americans can't differentiate between shows that present the news & those that discuss it. Walter Kronkite did not host a TV show where they discussed the news, he presented the news.

That's what my David Muir does.

Sometimes the hard news does discuss that 'some' say or folks object to -- but that has nothing to do with the reporter other than them reporting.

Cable doesn't just present the news anymore -- they disucss, analyze and have folks who spin.

Yeah some of it is heavily biased. Hannity, Breitbart, Infowars -- Don Lemon, Rachel Maddow, Samantha Bee -- none of those people pretend to be anything but fans of their political party. If you get duped into thinking they are somehow magically brain washing the American people -- meh - -that's on you.

They are meant for entertainment.

In the old days when there were only newspaper and radio shows they were biased too. But you didn't have the reporter sitting on a panel with people from various parties defending this issue or that. It wasn't so biased but it was. Editors always had strong opinions.

Telling the news and discussing -- two different things.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:38 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
All are pretty good news sources with the exception of Breitbart, which is sheer propaganda.

I consider Fox News pretty decent if you clarify that to mean the actual news department (Baier, Shep Smith, Wallace) rather that the infotainment sector (Fox & Friends’ crotch couch and the Prime Time Propagandists).

Old 12-14-2017, 02:48 PM

186 posts, read 263,373 times
I know this is strange, but my favorite news network is...CITY-DATA! (Other)

I get both sides of each subject (sometimes with frothing enabled), plenty of links and opinions and I don't have to worry about paying for it. I win.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:54 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
news.. its what is not reported about that I find interesting. Journalism and investigating reporting on topics that effect your freedom your rights is often ignored. But what we have to remember is Hollywood is full of bad people who touch one another, so it Washington and in reality its all over the world.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:58 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
I like right-wing sources like Fox, Brietbart, and Info Wars. I try to watch leftist news outlets like CBS, NBC, CNN, and my brain rots.
Everything is "far left" if your comparison point is Breitbart or InfoWars...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies