Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 10:05 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I don't think anyone has any doubt that the timing of reports of Moore's actions from 30 years ago were timed to disrupt the election. They could have been reported by the accuser's mother when they happened. Or any time when he was in line to become a judge. Or after he was seated. Or during the primary process. No-the info was brought out a few weeks before one of the most important Senate special elections in history. In a timeframe when it was virtually impossible for the Republican party to pull their nomination and have time to place someone else in that position (if it were even possible without a new primary). Seems obvious to anyone with a brain that this was orchestrated to happen at a time when it could do the maximum possible damage with little recourse. All the accusations may be revealed as fabrications today (or not), the yearbook signature might be exposed as counterfeit-doesn't matter. A Democrat, who had no chance in winning in a fair, balanced election, is now senator, and Moore's reputation is trashed.

Now-it seems pretty likely that the Franken "resignation movement" was a stage show again orchastrated to make it look like the Dems were on some moral high ground by calling for his resignation. If they encouraged him to step down-how could the Rs not do the same with Moore without a double standard?

So the question-now that the election is over...will the pressure remain on Franken to do the honorable thing and resign? Will the press continue to publish the stories of his harassment of women? Will the women in leadership positions express outrage and demand that this "abuser" resigns? Or will all of that suddenly die down? Will Franken's accusers just quietly go away? Was it all just a big show?

I'm already seeing posts by leftist friends on Facebook saying what a great guy and supporter of women Franken is. How what he did wasn't so bad, and how he deserves a second (3rd, 4th, 5th?) chance. About how his position shouldn't be given up...anymore.
He did, yesterday right after Jones was elected. It was reported on Fox.

His replacement was named yesterday...
https://www.franken.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=3808
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-in-u-s-senate
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/13/politi...ken/index.html

https://www.minnpost.com/community-v...utrun-his-past

Last edited by JanND; 12-14-2017 at 10:19 AM..

Old 12-14-2017, 10:05 AM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
He hasn't submitted a date but he has submitted his resignation.

I know -- small detail but he would not have spoken out in favor of his replacement if he wasn't committed to the resignation.
Without a date certain he hasn't resigned. I know, a small detail.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:07 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
The snow sure is falling from the right these days eh snowflakes? Good Lord stop crying. A horrible man in Alabama has been sent packing. As you told us in November stop being butt hurt over an election upset and get over it.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:07 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Maybe he will officially step down when Crooked Trump does.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:10 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well - so sorry it's not happening fast enough for you. Tell me, when will Blake Farenthold resign??

I haven't heard one Republican speak against this idiot.
I think Farenthold just announced he will not stand for reelection.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:04 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
All I've done is respond to those who have li....errrr mistakenly claimed Franken has resigned when he actually has not yet done so.

I don't give a rat's ass whether Franken resigns or not. In fact I personally don't think he should have to.

As far as Farenthold, OK, he needs to resign. If the metric is that any official there who's had a settlement paid has to resign I have the funny feeling that you might run into the law of unintended consequences.
Funny feeling or no . . that is exactly what is going to happen.

I have a feeling we could empty out half of Congress before all is said and done.

None of this is up to me and I'm searching for a happy medium between believing every single accusation and believing none.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:06 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I don't think anyone has any doubt that the timing of reports of Moore's actions from 30 years ago were timed to disrupt the election. They could have been reported by the accuser's mother when they happened. Or any time when he was in line to become a judge. Or after he was seated. Or during the primary process. No-the info was brought out a few weeks before one of the most important Senate special elections in history. In a timeframe when it was virtually impossible for the Republican party to pull their nomination and have time to place someone else in that position (if it were even possible without a new primary). Seems obvious to anyone with a brain that this was orchestrated to happen at a time when it could do the maximum possible damage with little recourse. All the accusations may be revealed as fabrications today (or not), the yearbook signature might be exposed as counterfeit-doesn't matter. A Democrat, who had no chance in winning in a fair, balanced election, is now senator, and Moore's reputation is trashed.

Now-it seems pretty likely that the Franken "resignation movement" was a stage show again orchastrated to make it look like the Dems were on some moral high ground by calling for his resignation. If they encouraged him to step down-how could the Rs not do the same with Moore without a double standard?

So the question-now that the election is over...will the pressure remain on Franken to do the honorable thing and resign? Will the press continue to publish the stories of his harassment of women? Will the women in leadership positions express outrage and demand that this "abuser" resigns? Or will all of that suddenly die down? Will Franken's accusers just quietly go away? Was it all just a big show?

I'm already seeing posts by leftist friends on Facebook saying what a great guy and supporter of women Franken is. How what he did wasn't so bad, and how he deserves a second (3rd, 4th, 5th?) chance. About how his position shouldn't be given up...anymore.
Uh...hello... apparently, you've been on a different planet. Welcome back. Franken resigned like a week ago! He's gone...serving out his last few days and done.

So...what was your point again?

Old 12-14-2017, 05:08 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Uh...hello... apparently, you've been on a different planet. Welcome back. Franken resigned like a week ago! He's gone...serving out his last few days and done.

So...what was your point again?
What's his last day?

The phrase was "coming weeks".

Al Franken resigning 'in the coming weeks' - CNNPolitics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies