Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 02:42 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Then why come to America? Just to reap economic benefits, and not embrace its culture, and traditions? Right, or wrong, America is a traditional European culture because that is who started it, and made it THRIVE. Nobody is saying they have to ignore their previous culture, foods, holidays, traditions etc.

If you want to be Mexican, just stay in Mexico. Easy Peasy.
Seriously?

Seriously?

You're from Pennsylvania too, if I remember correctly. You do realize a huge portion of our own culture derives from countries like Poland, Wales, Lithuania, Ireland and Germany, yes? So you are basically saying only European cultures and traditions can be American.

Now if you could expand your thoughts a bit and realize other parts of this country were settled by other groups of people and therefore have the same claim to being American as we do. Many Asians and Latinos helped settle the West and Southwest. How is that any different than the Germans and Polish who helped settled our area?

I could just as easily say, "Pierogis and polka? If you want to be Polish, just stay in Poland. Easy Peasy."

Ludicrous.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post
That boy in the video doesn't even have the courage to call the police....
He did call the police and she was taken outside by the officers.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:02 PM

70 posts, read 50,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LOL You answered me but you didn't give me a single reason why America should remain a majority white country.
America is not America without a preponderantly-White European, culturally-Christian ethos.

And I say that as someone who is neither White/European nor Christian.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTamilTiger View Post
America is not America without a preponderantly-White European, culturally-Christian ethos.

And I say that as someone who is neither White/European nor Christian.
Hogwash.

And I say that as someone who is White/European and Christian.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:08 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
rantse=RosieSD;50408619]Again, I understand your fears and concerns. Some of them I share myself.

However, we are no where near being a country where the majority of the population is foreign born. Only 13% of the American population was born in another country, and that includes illegal immigrants.

For comparison purposes, in 1940, 11.9% of the population was foreign born. In 1980, it was 14%. So, the percentage hasn't changed as dramatically as people's perceptions of it may seem. (I think people don't tend to notice immigrants until they move into their neighborhood). Sure, the raw numbers have increased, but we are still not a nation where the majority is "Foreign born" as many suggest we are.

The birth and death rates are important to maintaining a country as large as America. The population of America is growing at less than 1% of year and that growth is going down each year. Right now, only 6% of the population is under age 6, but over 15% are over age 65.

That's not sustainable in the long run. Even the current unemployment rate and our economic growth rate suggests that we need more workers, sooner rather than later.

So, we can encourage everyone who is already here and of child bearing age to have more babies, but that probably isn't going to work to counter slowing population growth. And, it takes 18-20 plus years to get a baby born today up to speed so that they can be a skilled contributor to our economic engine.

You can argue that America no longer needs to be a country of immigrants as it has traditionally been, but the math just doesn't add up.

Whether we like it or not, America still needs for immigrants. (I am not saying we need more illegal immigrants, mind you. ) I would argue that we also still have plenty of room for immigrants; we are not yet a nation of "foreign born" or even close to it, although that seems to be the perception of some.

All that said, I suspect that you and I probably also agree that we need to IMPROVE our country's current immigration system so that it works better and smarter to meet our country's needs. I don't have any argument with that at all.[/quote]

Did you read my links how we have more foreign born in this country now than less recent times? What makes you think we need more people in this country? Our jobs are being automated and our resources drying up. What makes you think we need to keep our population numbers at replacement numbers? If we need more workers now then why do we have so many unemployed Americans?

America hasn't been a nation of immigrants for some time now. We are mostly a nation of U.S. born citizens. Why do we need to change that? We are no longer a wide open frontier in need of immigrants to build our nation. It's already been built. I didn't say that we don't need any immigrants at some point in time but it should be in controlled numbers where it doesn't negatively impact or our citizen's needs for jobs and resources while keeping population growth in mind. You apparently don't understand the difference between ariable land space and supposedly having more room.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:15 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Then why come to America? Just to reap economic benefits, and not embrace its culture, and traditions?
Some people certainly do that
And, so what?

Quote:
If you want to be Mexican, just stay in Mexico. Easy Peasy.
Or
Come to America. Enjoy the economic benefits of the American Empire and live your life how you want.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I guess you never lived in Los Angeles. Hispanic culture is very much part of the American culture in the western states.. My culture might be very different than yours but it's 100% American... In my culture we frown upon supporters of the Confederate flag because their actions are "un-American" and their symbols represent hate. In the south you see a lot of support for this symbol of hate...

There is no single American culture...

Geez, but Hispanic culture is not our identifying one as a nation as a whole! There are parts of the U.S. where Hispanics, Asians, etc. are dominant but they are only minority cultures living among our identifying one. There is an identifying American culture and as I said all others are only minority ones.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
We aren't despising her language; we're despising the message and mentality behind it. The language is just the delivery mechanism.

The words she used reflect deep hatred, bias, and ignorance. She represents the bottom-of-the-barrel group of sub-humans residing in this country at the moment. In the eyes of the Founding Fathers, she and her type would be considered refuse/garbage.

If you're looking for irony, think of the irony of her rejecting the very foundations of this country, that "all are welcome". This junk rejects the message of the Statue of Liberty, one of America's most notable and historic landmarks. She's attacking the very roots and heart of this country. If anyone should leave, it's anti-American white-trash scum like her.

Curious to know why you keep referring to this woman's race? Agenda, much? Wanting people to speak English which is our national de facto language out in public is so we have a cohesive society and is not based on hatred, bias or ignorance. That isn't akin to not welcoming them as human beings either. Why is assimilation a bad thing? Here's a quote from Theodore Roosevelt.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/260...st-that-if-the

Old 12-15-2017, 03:23 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Imagine if you went to Korea and couldn't speak Korean. Then they demand "This is Korea, please speak Korean". Nobody would get upset about it.
That's a bizarre statement that has nothing to do with what happened. In this scenario, two people (who both spoke English) were sitting at a table having a private conversation in Korean because one was tutoring the other the language for school. Whether or not they could speak English, and again, they both can, they were having a private conversation.

Once when I was in Austria with a friend, a woman told us to stop speaking English because not everyone could understand us. Now, granted, I do not speak German, but it was a private conversation. We switched to Yiddish. And then Spanish. And then French.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why not? Why must Hispanics, Asians, etc. live a white culture? Many have been here just as long as many of our families.

White culture? lol, it's about American culture and the topic is language usage out in public not cultural practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies