Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 10:23 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Imagine if you went to Korea and couldn't speak Korean. Then they demand "This is Korea, please speak Korean". Nobody would get upset about it.
I've never been to Korea. I have lived in or visited about 40 other countries.
I've spoken English in each of them

No one has EVER demanded that I speak any other language.

You're FoS.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:46 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
This is the US. We don’t get to have secure borders or a common language. That is for the rest of the world.
Yes - - who wouldn't want to have all the benefits of North Korea? You'll be starved to death and forced to work hard labor or simply be executed for disagreeing with the government . . . but at least if they had ATMs, they wouldn't have to worry about possibly choosing the wrong language button and having to do the whole transaction all over again! And no worries about somebody else coming into their country either! No wonder Dennis Rodman thinks it's so great!

Old 12-14-2017, 10:49 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People don't like it if you don't speak the local language while in their country.

Go to France, Italy, Japan or India, etc., and you will see the same thing. This is true the world over.
When was the last time you traveled???

I've never been anywhere where it is acceptable to interrupt a conversation to tell me to speak another language.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:02 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

I've never been anywhere where it is acceptable to interrupt a conversation to tell me to speak another language.
The woman in the video is obviously being rude. However, people have frequently told me that I should make an effort to speak the local language when I’m in their country, even as a tourist. I see their point and agree.

I travel internationally every year.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:13 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

Who said that was acceptable?

Old 12-14-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
The woman in the video is obviously being rude. However, people have frequently told me that I should make an effort to speak the local language when I’m in their country, even as a tourist. I see their point and agree.

I travel internationally every year.
If speaking to other people, sure. Make an effort. Although, I can only think of a few places in the world where you can't get by with basic language skills and English (most of the world speaks it now).

And people here who speak other languages do that everyday - unless you actually believe the person speaking Korean here would just go around speaking Korean to others, and not even try to speak English??

I've never been anywhere where speaking English with my travel mates would cause an incident.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Who said that was acceptable?
It was implied that this is a common thing you should expect to have happen to you if speaking English with your travel mates in a foreign country.

Compete nonsense.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:16 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times
Quote:
The woman in the video is obviously being rude.
A bit of an understatement.

Quote:
However, people have frequently told me that I should make an effort to speak the local language when I’m in their country, even as a tourist. I see their point and agree.
Sure
So do you have conversations with your travel companions completely in foreign languages while you're traveling abroad?

Old 12-14-2017, 11:19 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet619 View Post
Or an active volcano.
Deportation and death penalty for butting into a private conversation and being rude. Gee what tolerant, unifying, humane beliefs you have! Why don't you ask your Japanese wife what kinds of passes her own country gives to people over there unable or unwilling to speak Japanese? Hope she taught you to be fluent...or into the volcano you go!

Old 12-14-2017, 11:25 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I think speaking English in public venues is a matter of personal preference. My grandparents argued in German or Japanese about what to buy at grocery stores. They spoke unaccented English, and when they conversed with others, they always spoke English.

Just because somebody speak a foreign language, doesn't mean they don't speak English. So obviously, this lady is rude and she is not very friendly towards people who don't look like her. I don't think she is ignorant and she knew exactly what she was doing. She made herself very clear, "I don't want to hear their language."

This said, It is not racist or bigoted to expect immigrants in the United States to learn to speak English. (keyword: LEARN) However, No one should expect them to arrive here speaking fluent English. It is a learning process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies