Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 08:57 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,936,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
There's nothing racist about what she did.
Oh please.

Next time I hear old timers speaking EYEtalian I'll tell them to shutup and speak 'Murican. Next time I hear snooty French people speaking I'll tell them their language is annoying and they need to speak 'Murican. Next time some Germans are around speaking I'll tell them to take that Nazi talk back to where they belong or speak 'Murican. Be honest, half the posts defending this old hag wouldn't be doing the same if she were were trying to tell white Europeans that speak a different language to shut up. Hell, she probably wouldn't have told a European to shut up in the first place because somehow those romance languages 'sound' oh so much better...

What if the people speaking Korean were simply tourists or international students here visiting for christ's sake!? It's literally impossible to learn the language of every single country you visit while traveling. Maybe millions of American tourists and students abroad should be told to shut the hell up over seas while speaking English on their trips or studies abroad too when they are in countries that don't speak English. Way to be a good host to visitors and show off how imbecilic rather than how welcoming this country can be.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-15-2017 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: trolling

Old 12-14-2017, 09:10 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,340,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
GTFO it and pay attention to your own life. That's what I'd say if I saw one of these jerks harassing others for speaking their native languages. These types really annoy me.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:14 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,340,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
There's nothing racist about what she did.
Yeah sure.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:15 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,154,328 times
She seems like an extreme control freak. They should have advised her that in the USA, it's considered rude to eavesdrop.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:21 PM

70 posts, read 50,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Imagine if you went to Korea and couldn't speak Korean. Then they demand "This is Korea, please speak Korean". Nobody would get upset about it.
As a South Asian who solely spoke English (of course) during my time visiting Seoul, I can't recall a single instance where conversing in English with a discernible Canadian/American accent- in the company of three other White Canadians nonetheless- ever caused me or my friends any problems.

I mean hot damn, the lengths people are willing to go to justify this stupidity captured on camera. LOL.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:47 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,585,108 times
SMH. The generally good citizens of Walnut Creek must be disgusted that the idiot lady in the video is bringing negative publicity to their city. I'm an East Bay native and, if this lady lives in Walnut Creek, she is an aberration, not the norm. Walnut Creek may be 70% Non Hispanic White, but nearly 25% of the people were born outside the U.S. , the people are generally well traveled and reasonably sophisticated, the public schools are good, the largest income group is 200k+ per year, the median price for a residence is over 785k, Downtown Walnut Creek is only 16 miles from Downtown Oakland, and BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) trains carry people into Oakland, San Francisco, etc.

I performed a few searches trying to identify the particular Starbucks in question. Alas, my searches were not successful re identifying the particular location. One article I came across referred to the lady as 'middle aged'.... The very few people I've encountered (in the Bay Area at least) who would say 'Oriental' rather than Asian are all on Medicare....they aren't 'middle aged'

Last edited by RMESMH; 12-14-2017 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: ADDED SECOND PARAGRAPH

Old 12-14-2017, 09:56 PM

27,635 posts, read 28,738,299 times
People don't like it if you don't speak the local language while in their country.

Go to France, Italy, Japan or India, etc., and you will see the same thing. This is true the world over.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:01 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,253,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yeah, we never saw anyone doing anything like this before Trump was in office.
Overreacting to trivial incidents caught on tape has been a staple of the 2010s, since the decade began. Affordable and portable smartphones, with cameras and easy upload to websites, have been around since the latter W. Bush years. Speaking non-English in public or private venues (even though America has no official language like other countries) has been an issue for decades.
Revise, revise, revise.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:14 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,271,437 times
Speak French, while in Quebec!

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=529_1361049066

And a 911 call:

Quote:
The most interesting part was: comments on the news story from francophones Québécois said that the woman was at fault because “if she moved to Québec she should learn to speak French
https://matadornetwork.com/life/engl...heres-happens/

Apparently, Canadians are racists/bigots, too.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:14 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,585,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People don't like it if you don't speak the local language while in their country.

Go to France, Italy, Japan or India, etc., and you will see the same thing.

This is true the world over.
I live in Texas. I've also lived near the coast in Southern California, and in two mountain towns...one in California, and one in Nevada....but I'm an SF Bay Area native who lived there for over 40 years. I've never seen anyone in the Bay Area behave as the lady in that video did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies