Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2017, 12:31 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
i'm guessing petersen is regretting having been nominated in the first place.
I have to chuckle over that even though it is really sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 12:46 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The best people, folks. Believe me.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:48 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Quote:
Thank goodness. I don't know what he was thinking in accepting the nomination. I'm sure he regrets it now.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:59 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Might have a case as to his qualifications until you consider the 9th circuit of experienced judges who have more than 80% of their cases overturned. Knowledge of the law does them no good.
This is a lie and you just proved you don't know how the federal courts work. If you're going to stand by this false claim, you need to provide a source.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:08 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
This is a lie and you just proved you don't know how the federal courts work. If you're going to stand by this false claim, you need to provide a source.
I'm not sure how I missed this whopper. Yes, a completely misleading stat. The 9th isn't even the most overturned. The sixth is, followed by the 11th.

Standing alone it's also a pretty worthless stat. If a court rules on 5000 cases, has 10 appealed and 8 are overturned, that is an 80% rate but the court would be doing a pretty darn good job to only have 8 cases out of 5000 overturned.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:08 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Good.

Quote:
As of Friday, the White House was standing by Petersen, with a spokesman saying that he was qualified and that“the President’s opponents” were “trying to distract from the record-setting success the President has had on judicial nominations.”
Christ. Do these idiots not realize the damage they do? Judges change the course of lives. The courtroom is where the state exhibits raw power over the individual, and the process isn't just a goddamn afterthought - the integrity of the proceedings is upheld by scrupulous adherence to process.

Seating an unqualified judge constitutes a frontal attack on our rights. And anyone - looking at you, phma - arguing that with a bit of on-the-job training things will be OK is undermining one of the last bulwarks we have against the state riding roughshod over us.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:03 PM

8,493 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Thankfully this totally unqualified candidate withdrew today.

The real fear is just how many Trump nominations that have no place on the bench have already been rammed through by the GOP.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:07 PM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Apparently, this is what the Best is like.

#Winning.

Donald Trump federal judge nominee is asked basic legal questions and can’t answer a single one

For the record, a Daubert Standard concerns which expert witness testimony fits the nature of the case and can be admissible in court. A expert testimony on how good the defendant's parenting skill is would not be admissible if he/she is accused off tax fraud. Etc. I can totally see that a trail judge does not need to know this standard.

Having someone with good judgement is far more preferable than having someone that understands the Daubert Standard but has poor judgement which would include most liberals.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:12 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,111,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Having someone with good judgement is far more preferable than having someone that understands the Daubert Standard but has poor judgement which would include most liberals.
What if....just maybe....they knew what the Daubert Standard was AND had good judgement? I mean, surely there are judges out there like that already. It’s fairly expected that these judges will lean conservative, but they should at least know the basics of the job.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:23 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
what we are seeing is just how mind numbingly anti american the Republicans have become.

They no longer care a whit about America, all they care about is stacking the courts with extremists. This is a direct result of policies put in place about 30 years ago. The right decided on a course and this is where it has led. Directly to the demise of the greatest nation. extremism destroys everything it touches.

Not really. Whatever you think of the right , they do what they do because they also believe it is best for the country. Im not from the right, I voted Dem 3 straight POTUS elections before abstaining from making a choice between 2 sorry candidates in this last one. The last GOP POTUS I voted for was GWB first term, but to claim that they are anti American is partisan hyperbole. Their views of what America needs are simply different than yours. Maybe incorrect some of the time, maybe they are correct some of the time .But it all comes from having a vision of what a great America would look like to them. In their view the left is destroying America and trying to create a communist state, which is also partisan hyperbole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies