Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2017, 02:03 PM

25,387 posts, read 18,504,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The commons are not supposed to function like private goods where everyone pays the same $ amount. That is the key difference between private and public
Says you. But by what authority are you making that proclamation? I believe there is just as good an argument against your views as there is for your views. Logically justify that. You can't. You may be able to provide an emotionally charged sermon, but you can't logically make your argument, because that argument is illogical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 02:38 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,911,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The very basic foundation of an economy is based on production (including the use of natural resources). No country can tax its way to prosperity; otherwise, there would be no third world countries. The more it costs to do business in a country, in this age of globalism, the greater the incentive to move production to another country with lower costs.
Right, thats the propganda version. The real purpose of this tax agenda is to ensure that the GOP can get the donor money flowing. Do you think the puppets you vote for dont serve their donors who demand this tax bill? You are not a member of this donor class, so naturally your interests will not be served. This is a tax cut for the elites who rule America.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:19 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,034,449 times
Ditching the individual mandate means people will be able to decide on their own whether the want to pay the tax ,(what the personal mandate is, after all), or simply choose not to have insurance. Personal choice, not government mandate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Yeah!!! You get a few hundred dollar tax break!!!

Oh, by the way ...

You lose all your health insurance.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:21 PM

That too is mostly personal choice. A bunch of bad choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
We will see how people like the SSN and Medicare reform that were glossed over during the tax cuts.....

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/07/how-...every-age.html

Fact of the matter is that most Americans aren't prepared for retirement.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:24 PM

George Bush’s tax cuts were not permanent either. Barack Obama did not let them expire. Needless worry. That, or a the mean old republicans meme, thoughtlessly typed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Just remember these tax cuts for the middle class aren't permanent while the corporate taxes are. Who do you think is going to eventually pay for our deficit?

Old 12-16-2017, 03:27 PM

Logical fallacy. Isn’t it the case in school, sports, amateur and professional, any occupational profession that those who accomplish, contribute the most, lead the way; get rewarded the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Completely irrelevant as this is a terrible analogy, much like comparing household budgets to our federal government's.

Have you ever considered that while the rich pay the most, they gain the most?

Old 12-16-2017, 03:30 PM

Evil... just go find a different progressive meme to try to pitch. The subsidy folks, God Bless ‘em, do not pay enough if any taxes, to get hurt by this bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Rakin i have corrected you before on this, i am starting to wonder if you just like to spread misinformation or you are struggling to understand basic encon.

households earning over 200k 50% - 60% of income taxes... ( i am giving you the spectrum reported instead of nitpicking)

Income taxes make up 50% of the taxes paid, the rest are mostly regressive sales taxes that impact the poor to middle class very harshly.

the rich do not pay 95% of our taxes, that is bs.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:34 PM

19,954 posts, read 8,852,758 times
the discussion of tax cuts has nothing to do with poor people, they don't pay taxes.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:00 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,937,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
That is only “true” because we keep saying it enough, but I have never heard a reason that I believed to be rational.

In no other situation, is the person who makes more, expected to pay more.

The supermarket doesnt charge me more for an apple than they charge a poor person. Why should they?

When I go out to dinner with other couples, we dont divide the check based on income level.

Occasionally, I will pick up the check, but that is voluntary.

The realist in me knows that you cant get blood from a stone, and bills need to get paid. So I accept the fallacy that those that make more need to pay more. But nobody has the right to get angry if the government decides to let me pay more, a little bit less.
They should pay more since the government works for them.

https://represent.us/action/no-the-problem/

“The preferences of the average American appear to have only a miniscule, near-zero, statistically non-significant impact upon public policy.”

One thing that does have an influence? Money. While the opinions of the bottom 90% of income earners in America have a “statistically non-significant impact,” economic elites, business interests, and people who can afford lobbyists still carry major influence.

In the last 5 years alone, the 200 most politically active companies in the U.S. spent $5.8 billion influencing our government with lobbying and campaign contributions.

Those same companies got $4.4 trillion in taxpayer support — earning a return of 750 times their investment.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:09 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,578,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You think your food stamps and welfare are going to be cut? Don't worry, you will not be paying any taxes at your minimum wage job.

Seriously, how do these tax cuts hurt you ?
What the heck are you talking about? I make about minimum wage and I still am taxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies