Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should religious institutions be taxed?
Yes 99 75.57%
No 32 24.43%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 06:06 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBentley View Post
These guys are rank amateurs compared to the catholic church...surely the richest organization in the history of mankind!

Tax them non stop and make them pay for ruining the lives of the countless children their priests raped over decades (maybe even centuries), while their authorities not only covered it up, but went ahead and turned their monsters loose in fresh pastures, aka: moved to other parishes.

This church deserves to be completely stripped of all its riches!
Right on, the state needs that money for drone hits to take out hospitals and kids playing in the street, or for payouts as a result of the actions of its degenerate politicians...

FWIW Not defending the catholic church, just pointing out the hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 06:07 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,335 times
Absolutely... unless they are 501(3)(c).

Old 12-16-2017, 06:19 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I think you should be forced to "contribute" to the churches in your neighborhood.
Hows that feel?
Isn't that what we are doing by allowing them not to be taxed?

Old 12-16-2017, 07:10 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times
If a church catches fire should the fire department put the fire out?

Old 12-16-2017, 07:12 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Before the Trump era I would have said no. Today, they no longer try to act like faith and politics are separate. Simply look at the Roy Moore campaign to see that in action. Churches have become not much more than arms of the Republican Party, looking to impose their own version of Sharia on the nation. That means it's time to tax them. If they don't want to be taxed, they should withdraw from politics. They are bringing this on themselves.
Where you been while churches were openly saying they were sanctuary churches and were gonna help illegals and were advocating for open borders during all of the Obama years and perhaps back into the Bush years too?

Also, the Left is the one trying to impose Sharia on us. Though I am concerned about the World Council of Churches and those other globalist groups getting taxpayer money for "refugee" resettlement. I think THAT needs to end PRONTO!

Old 12-16-2017, 07:14 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I think so...
Yes. I want churches to have political rallies, bus people to the polls and start calling out politicians. This will only happen once the tax exempt status is pulled.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBentley View Post
These guys are rank amateurs compared to the catholic church...surely the richest organization in the history of mankind!

Tax them non stop and make them pay for ruining the lives of the countless children their priests raped over decades (maybe even centuries), while their authorities not only covered it up, but went ahead and turned their monsters loose in fresh pastures, aka: moved to other parishes.

This church deserves to be completely stripped of all its riches!
I have mixed feelings on this. I agree that the Catholic Church, at least the organization, is aiding the open borders, Leftist crowd, and even the gay crowd now, but loads of the individual churches and members still are patriotic. Also, doing it to them could open a door for the Left to use on other churches that they don't like.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:15 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
If a church catches fire should the fire department put the fire out?
If a tax exempt homeless shelter catches fire, do you propose it’s left to burn to the ground?

Old 12-16-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yes. I want churches to have political rallies, bus people to the polls and start calling out politicians. This will only happen once the tax exempt status is pulled.
I actually think the opposite should happen. Leftist churches can do that while our side has to worry about the IRS asking us to tell them the contents of our prayers or have Houston mayors subpoenaing our sermons!

Since the Deep State will only back its own side, it's time to kill the Johnson Amendment.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:27 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I think so...
If you are going to tax them you will need to tax every tax exempt organization, you can't tax a group simply because it's religious. Unlike those other organizations they may be able to successfully challenge it because of separation of church and state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies