Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should religious institutions be taxed?
Yes 99 75.57%
No 32 24.43%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 10:20 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times

Advertisements

Religious Workers are some of the most richest and corrupt individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 10:23 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,610,184 times
Yes they should be taxed. Look how much money the Church of Scientology has.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:24 PM

33,994 posts, read 17,030,256 times
YES, they should be taxed.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:26 PM

33,994 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBentley View Post
These guys are rank amateurs compared to the catholic church...surely the richest organization in the history of mankind!

Tax them non stop and make them pay for ruining the lives of the countless children their priests raped over decades (maybe even centuries), while their authorities not only covered it up, but went ahead and turned their monsters loose in fresh pastures, aka: moved to other parishes.

This church deserves to be completely stripped of all its riches!

AMEN.

I am a firm believer raping a child should have NO Statute of Limitations, and bishops moving pervs around should be jailed under RICO.

I also believe pedophilia related settlements, should be like student loans, NOT Dischargeable in Bankruptcy, with church property auctioned quickly if the settlement not paid in full.

Signed,

Bob, who attended RCC schools for over a decade, and who is through with what I consider a religion more like NAMBLA than its stated mission.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:49 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yes. I want churches to have political rallies, bus people to the polls and start calling out politicians. This will only happen once the tax exempt status is pulled.
You don't think this is already happening?

Old 12-16-2017, 11:48 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Yes and no.

Not churches per se, but if they have other income, such as property that produces income or unearned income, I don’t think it would be unreasonable to review whether that part of church income should be taxable.

Church property is a tricky issue. If you tax or otherwise deprive religious institutions of their property/assets, where does money come from to fund their missions and so forth. This much less to keep up other buildings and property.

Classic example of this is France, which despite being a so called "secular" nation and at least as their constitution is written separate of church and state, the reality is far different.

Public Funding of Religions in France - internationalfreethought.org

Old 12-17-2017, 12:05 AM

30,611 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Yes and no.

Not churches per se, but if they have other income, such as property that produces income or unearned income, I don’t think it would be unreasonable to review whether that part of church income should be taxable.
This is where I lean, too.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:59 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
As a non-religious person, it is unfair for my taxes to cover for someone's religion.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:09 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,293,301 times
No. They are a charity. When you give money to your church, it is used for missions. They do important work in less developed countries, and that's what the money is used for. One of the churches we belonged to made regular trips to Haiti to do work on a hospital, upgrading electrical systems and other work. That is only one of the things they would do.

Why should the money you donate for such things, money you yourself have already paid tax on, be taxed again by the government?

Does the government tax other charities? If the government doesn't tax other charities, they shouldn't tax the church.

By the way, the pastor, and all other church employees do pay tax on their income, just like anybody else, and they are paid out of the giving by the congregation.

Give me a good reason why a church should be taxed on the donations they receive?

Old 12-17-2017, 04:10 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
They should never not have been taxed, but as a culture we embraced Christianity, which arguably did more good than harm. Still, a lot of corruption went on in the church, and a lot of hypocrisy as well. It seems as a species those of us in power just can't help but try to throw around our power and make everyone think the way they do, aside from the inner circle who act like blatant hypocrites and do everything they tell everyone else not to do.

If society was not full of hypocrites I'd be more apt to back a specific organization instead of remaining moderate and detached from any group of people.

It used to be the religious right in control, and now it's the nutty left.. same old song and dance, same old hypocrisy and hate spewed at anyone who shares differing views than them. Same old generational blame.. boomers blamed the silents, and now the millennials blame the boomers, and the generation being born now will blame the millennials, etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies