Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 10:18 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times

Advertisements

Xmas always wins.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:16 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Star Wars?!?

Did you miss Billy Dee Williams in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi?

Did you not notice that Leia was already a strong, female character?

Mark Hamill will be in the next installment. Just as a Force Ghost.

Good grief.
Yep, seen a bunch of right-wing troublemakers online whining about how "SJW" ruined Star Wars. Their excuse is "the new characters are shallow, and since they are female and black, it's the fault of liberals." OK, maybe they are shallow... and how does turning them all into straight, white, overly macho males fix that problem? It doesn't, which means "SJW" has nothing to do with it, just poor writing (assuming one doesn't like the new movies.)

If anyone thinks shallow, 1-dimensional characters are some "new things caused by liberals," they are woefully ignorant of the history of entertainment since such characters have existed for decades in film and on TV, and centuries in the written form. They should also watch all of Bay's horrible Transformers movies on an endless loop until they get the point. Those movies are free of "PC" and "SJW," and you can enjoy nothing but macho white males stomping around and helpless, eye-candy women simpering all day... and the movies are still terrible because the characters are one-dimensional, the stories are illogical nonsense, and so on. "Liberals" have nothing to do with it.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:05 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
My opinion is in the title. Pat Buchanan coined the term for it, "cultural war". There are active elements out there, the vast majority either left or Islamic, who are waging a war to destroy America. And one of the most effective way to accomplish that goal is to destroy American traditions and positive aspects of it's culture.

https://twitter.com/miltimore79/stat...25792360255488
It has been noted how our academic institutions, from kindergarten all the way up to universities are waging this "culture" war.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yeh, I'm on the "left" but I don't really even know who Buchanan is. Presumably a religious fanatic nut case or extreme right wing radio host?

I disagree with all the stupid nonsense in that letter, as would most people. If that stuff is so true, then how come I have a Christmas tree? How come, at the grocery store today, all the employees were dressed in red and there were two women in the front of the store festively dressed in red with a young girl dressed in red with white fur, like Mrs Santa Claus? I guess I must have been imagining all the red and green decorations in the store. I even said to the cashier (dressed in Christmas themed clothing) that the store sure did Christmas very well! "We try", he said.

Why is my town always beautified at this time of year with Christmas lights? This stupid letter is from one selected crazy place. That is not what this country is like. And I live in the part of the USA that some rightest extremists would probably think does not like Christmas. Sorry to disappoint you, but you have been lied to.
"Yeh, I'm on the "left" but I don't really even know who Buchanan is"

If you don't know the players DON'T comment UNTIL you know something about them.

" Presumably a religious fanatic nut case or extreme right wing radio host?"

"Only a fool presumes", someone said.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:09 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It has been noted how our academic institutions, from kindergarten all the way up to universities are waging this "culture" war.
Along with the Media, and the Democrats. It is really to divide us, and Fundamentally Transform America, which never really needed transforming in the first place. To want to change something so drastically you must HATE it first, and Obama, and Hillary certainly do.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Pat Buchanan is an author, commentator, broadcaster, etc. He is also a former senior advisor to President's Nixon, Ford, and Reagan and also ran for president twice on the Reform Party ticket. He is also a former host on CNN. He isn't a religious fanatic or extreme radio host. I'm guessing you think anyone who expresses an opinion about the current state of our union that doesn't sound like something that came out of Hillary Clinton's mouth is an extreme right-wing nutjob.

The example given here by this OP is not a random or rare event. These same kinds of extreme lib nonsense were circulating around college campuses around Halloween this year as well. While this is certainly not an extremely wide-spread phenomenon, it is certainly not nonsense or some made up lie. There are extremists on both sides of the aisle and for some reason the liberal ones want to go after holidays and make them neutral for everyone. If you don't like the holiday, don't celebrate it. Just take the day off and pretend it never happened.

However, with that being said, you are absolutely right that this is not a wide spread thing. I don't think anyone thinks that all or even most leftists are "anti-Christmas" or don't celebrate Christmas like the rest of us. In fact, I don't really understand the defensive nature of your post, as if someone accused you or people of your political party of something here. This post was all about one letter sent out to students and faculty, not some all-encompassing allegation of heresy directed at Democrats. Christmas is a season beloved by almost everyone in this country, and I don't think politics effects that love one bit. At least not for most of us.

Also, if we are being honest, the fact is there has been a movement over the last several years against Christmas traditions by certain far left elements who try to spread their banner of "diversity" over the holidays and force people to stop celebrating Christmas in the traditional ways. For instance the push to stop businesses and towns from displaying signs that use the word "Christmas". They would prefer us to say "Happy Holidays" or something like that. Anything to take the reason for the season out of the equation. Like it or not, this is supposed to be a celebration of the birth of Christ. Not saying everyone must celebrate it as such, but they should at least respect the origins of this national holiday.
"These same kinds of extreme lib nonsense were circulating around college campuses"

And MANY liberal run municipalities.

Which is where, "Winter" Holiday's come form because they are NOT allowed to say "Christmas" in many schools.

No mangers, no songs about Christmas, etc

Old 12-18-2017, 06:13 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Along with the Media, and the Democrats. It is really to divide us, and Fundamentally Transform America, which never really needed transforming in the first place. To want to change something so drastically you must HATE it first, and Obama, and Hillary certainly do.
Yeah they certainly hated America so much that they sided with Russia on every issue that involves the US and Russia. Oh, wait a tick...

Old 12-18-2017, 06:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
The first War on Christmas was waged by Christion settlers in the colonies who created laws banning public acknowledgement and celebration of Christmas.

As time went on and waves of immigration from all over Europe arrived, they refused to assimilate. Imagine that. Immigrants importing their own cultural values in spite of the norms of the time. It was not until 1870 that Christmas became a Federal Holiday.

A super majority of US people identify as Christian. Yet, for some unknown reason, some of them demonstrate a preference to view themselves as victims. Why is this?

There are more than 4000 Christian denominations/ sects in the US. Not all of them celebrate Christmas with merry making, decorations, gifting, cards and song.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The fundamental transformation of the US, as it relates to Christmas, occured 150 + years ago when waves of European immigrants refused to assimilate and instead maintained their Christmas traditions in spite of laws banning public acknowledgement and celebrations.

Christmas became a Federal holiday in 1870 when it became obvious that Christmas was good for business, thus the economy. Christmas is now the make it/ break it season for retail and consumer electronics.

No one could have imagined, let alone predicted that Christmas would be the time of years tens of millions incur serious personal debt to acquire stuff they don't need.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"These same kinds of extreme lib nonsense were circulating around college campuses"

And MANY liberal run municipalities.

Which is where, "Winter" Holiday's come form because they are NOT allowed to say "Christmas" in many schools.

No mangers, no songs about Christmas, etc
Not all Christians celebrate Christmas with song, merry making and gifts. They are offended by the use of public monies to promote their perception of sinful practices. They typically trend far more Conservative than your average Joe.

Then there are Christians who deeply resent the commercialization of Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies